Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old August 7th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Ancient - Absent Friend

Gallery : 18
Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M. Hopper View Post
LOL, after seeing this I have an overwhelming desire to nickname Mongoose Traveller, "Riki-Tiki-Traveller".

Must be the humidity...
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!! Damn now this is how I will always think of Mongoose Traveller, RTT. Thanks!
[b]Current Projects[/b][LIST][*][url=http://www.scifigaming.com]SciFi Gaming[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=129_7888]The SciFi20 Project[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96742]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96744]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle w/Screen[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

I agree, good one Jeff, RTT it is for me too

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit Flynn's Blog
Flynn Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Flynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
I don't understand why MWM is doing T5 at all.
I have a theory on this one. I think Marc is just like most creative GM/tinkers out there. He's always working to make "the system" work better. It's almost a compulsion for people of this type. (I should know, I am a mild case of it, and I know several that are always changing the game, never satisfied with any result they achieve.)

T5 is a product of his Quest for the Holy Grail of Gaming, the next iteration in the creation process. Given that he holds the rights, he is in a position to share his work with the world. I'll probably buy it, just to support Traveller and thank him for giving us Traveller as OGC, but it will be a sentimental matter, not a purchase based on need.

Truth be told, though, I'm glad he feels compelled to share T5. Without that pressure, he wouldn't have sought out Mongoose, and then wouldn't have agreed to the OGL/TLL deal that will open Traveller to us all forever going forward. (Well, the system, but probably not the OTU.)

Looking Forward To More News,
Flynn
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:24 AM

daryen Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter View Post
Note: Daryen, I accidentally edited your post when I mean to quote it and didn't realize until I came to look at another response. I tried to fix your post back up to its original format. Sorry about that!
LOL!

Not a problem. I am a moderator on a different board, and I did that exact thing once. I felt so bad after doing it. Now, I have seen both you and LKW (on the SJG forums) make the exact same mistake, so I don't feel so bad anymore.

Last edited by daryen; August 7th, 2007 at 08:37 AM..
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Baronet

Visit MJD's Blog
MJD has disabled reputation

Mongoose pursued this license because they wanted it; Marc didn't 'seek out' Mongoose to share T5.
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Plankowner Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
I agree, good one Jeff, RTT it is for me too
So, does anyone have the balls to post that over on the Mongoose board?

BUT, Mongoose has probably been fighting the Riki Tiki Tavi thing since Day 1, so it would be kind of like singing the Police song to a 40-year-old woman named Roxanne...Funny for you, but just plane boring to her.
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

I'm sure you're right about the "heard it" syndrome there Plankowner

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallowglacht Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankowner View Post
So, does anyone have the balls to post that over on the Mongoose board?

BUT, Mongoose has probably been fighting the Riki Tiki Tavi thing since Day 1, so it would be kind of like singing the Police song to a 40-year-old woman named Roxanne...Funny for you, but just plane boring to her.
Done. (10 characters)
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Citizen: SOC-4

Jeffkmd Citizen

I'm intrigued by the news and am anxious to see what the finished products will be like.

Traveller has become too fragmented in my opinion, and I hope this new version will bridge gaps more than just present a new fragment. I'm especially curious about the relationship between CT, MongTrav, and T5. How compatible will they be? Can I take stats from any one version and use them in the other? How similar will the rules be - will CT players quickly pick up the new changes, or will they be more drastic?

I'm very leery of Mongoose as a publisher. They've had very mixed results in my book. My two main concerns are editing/errata and the publication model. I didn't like the way RQ was released in tiny, incomplete fragments. I hope the main Traveller products will be more all-inclusive (like what MRQ is finally doing with the new Deluxe edition).

In the end, I hope this turns out to be a fantastic product and launches Traveller back to the top of everyone's gaming radar, bringing in new fans!
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:40 PM

Klaus Citizen

Don't know about RQ, but Conan is very well presented and Judge Dredd looks pretty authentic too.

I'm tentatively excited by this now. Having single handedly cleaned the QLI products off the shelves of my local game/comic shop, it would be good to see a Mongoose pushed Trav line with it's own shelf. I don't like seeing RP shelves with no Trav.

Out of interest, I pretty much cleaned up the Conan too, but Starship Troopers, B5, and Slaine are still there. A Strongti Dog game would also prob get shelf space too.

If, however, MongTrav is going to be the engine for other sf games, then the core rules will have to include stuff about AI, transhumanism, warp engines, time travel etc etc. Maybe Starship Troopers doesn't have all that stuff, but Johnny Alpha certainly does!