Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old June 4th, 2016, 09:52 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dray View Post
Back off, please.

Shall I back off or answer the several questions you posed in your other post?

I don't want to assume anything or make any judgements.
Old June 4th, 2016, 10:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Visit Adam Dray's Blog
Adam Dray Citizen+Adam Dray Citizen+

No, no. Let's have a conversation. Just stop judging and assuming.
Marquis Smoug/Lunion 1729
Marquis Rech/Lanth 2112
Baron/ess Rech/Lanth 2112
Knight of Deneb Junidy/Aramis 3202
Old June 4th, 2016, 11:55 PM

Visit Whipsnade's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dray View Post
Don't the skill package rules make up for any deficiencies in character generation?

This was CT. There are no skill packages, just cascades, school, auto-skills, and the like.

While I did use the extended scout chargen in LBB:6, the Three Creeps hadn't yet infected Traveller.

Quote:
Let me turn your suggestion back on you. Couldn't you just let the players craft their characters to fit your campaign perfectly? The point-buy method would have solved this. Just give them a list of roles they should cover.
They wanted to play, not prep. Prep was my job as the referee. I pitched the idea and they accepted it. It was up to me to provide props. While they did get to customize the pre-gens they chose somewhat using the points allowed, they were ready to play within a quarter-hour or so of sitting down during the first session.

Quote:
Maybe the rules are different for Scouts than Navy. I haven't dug into Book 3. Do college Scouts have to go into the bureaucracy?
It's CT's LBB:6 Scouts not the MgT version, so I believe the answer is yes.

Quote:
Naval College just replaces the first 18-22 term, gives them access to a naval speciality career for their basic training skills, commissions them, then drops them into the Navy Crew career. Honors just lets the player choose the service skill to take at level 1, rather than rolling it.
LBB:6 provides an automatic service skill for the first term's first year. Just what skill depends on just what branch is rolled, but Field scouts all get Pilot-1.

Quote:
I didn't technically roll any dice, either. I have an Excel spreadsheet that provides full sets of 6 x 3d6 with characteristic labels at the click of a button. It takes seconds to do that part.
I didn't even use a spreadsheet. I simply looked up UPP stats from the published lists in S:4. The only thing I clicked with my Bic!

Quote:
Rolling on tables isn't hard at all. And it was fun.
I'm sure it was. I've spent many a happy hour "raw rolling" up PCs. In this case, I just selected skills because it was faster. I think I cranked out my 25 or 30 pre-gens in less than an hour and that included inking the 3x5 cards.

Quote:
I'm wondering if you have the right number of skills for characters, though.
It was the right number for CT.

MgT, on the other hand, is a post-Three Creeps design and therefore has more skills, modifiers, and whatnot.

Lew Pulsipher wrote recently about the shift from consequence-based gaming to reward-based gaming. Traveller is the former and MgT is the latter. Neither is "better" than the other, just different.

The players used points I allotted each PC to customize their selections' skills and stats somewhat. Of course, any real customization of the PCs came in the form of in-game play instead of meta-game rule mechanisms.

Two of the players decided their PCs had attended Ship School together and so came up with an in-character history with each other that included in-jokes, obscure references, shared stories, etc. They even roped a couple of NPCs into their Class of '09 schtick.

The player who took the pilot/commander spent two of his few points on increasing the PCs' Social Standing of all things. He then told me in private his PC was going to be "tuft hunting", i.e. angling for a knighthood. I was pleasantly surprised as it handed me both a great parallel campaign theme and a handle on the PC. As with the "School Chums", he didn't need a chargen system to give him the idea.

(He later flubbed one of his better chances to be knighted during a re-skinned version of Death Station. While his decision to secure the lab ship by venting it to vacuum worked, it also killed the relative of an Imperial noble I'd placed aboard. The rescue of that relative was supposed to be the act which put him over the top!)

Have you looked at the pre-gens present in most CT Adventures and Double Adventures? They're a surprisingly mixed lot. None of the pre-gen groups are as "focused" as the pre-gens you and I put together. For example, only one of the 8 pre-gens in Mission on Mithril has ATV skill and only 3 of 8 in Across the Bright Face.

It makes me wonder just how often skill rolls, or rolls of any type, were used by the players in the sessions GDW ran among themselves.
Old June 5th, 2016, 12:10 AM

Gallery : 111
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

Quote:
with a hint of judgment that doesn't sit well with me.
heh. whipsnade's judgements often are better than many people's suggestions.
Old June 5th, 2016, 12:37 AM

Visit Whipsnade's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
heh. whipsnade's judgements often are better than many people's suggestions.

Not "judgement", more like a "Huh?" or a "Why?".

To me, the system Adam described seemed to be too much work. He wanted "focused" PCs and had to repeatedly finagle the chargen system to get what he wanted. I was curious as to why he just didn't "hand fit" the PCs from the start.

Adam had his reasons not for "hand fitting" his pre-gens. First, he was using the process as a way to understand the chargen in question. Second, he was having fun doing it.

Sounds like pretty good reasons to me!