Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old March 11th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Garyius2003 Citizen
Default Reading Dune

I started reading Dune long ago, and gave it up as too much of a slog.

I did the same with the LOTR, made it though the Hobbit and bogged down. Based on some advice, I re-read LOTR and this time skipped every section with a poem or song. Much nicer, and good reads. At least as good as the movies.

I went back to Dune, but the--mud, I guess--isn't as easy to skip there. The internal dialogue and back story it just too much effort to make it a good read.

Does anyone have a suggestion so I can read the stories?
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Jeffr0 Citizen

Just read Dune.

Read it!

Watch the Movie if you want the Cliff Notes version.

It's awesome.

Also, those poems in the LOTR become critically important once you've read it several times. You start mining every nuance for setting information, theology, and history. Then you end up able to read the Simarillion more than once.'

You will know when you're ready.
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:54 PM

Gallery : 2
Mithras Citizen

No, no you must stay awayfrom the Silmarillion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffr0 View Post
Just read Dune.

Read it!

Watch the Movie if you want the Cliff Notes version.

It's awesome.

Also, those poems in the LOTR become critically important once you've read it several times. You start mining every nuance for setting information, theology, and history. Then you end up able to read the Simarillion more than once.'

You will know when you're ready.

http://zozer.weebly.com/orbital.html
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 23
Visit spinwardpirate's Blog
spinwardpirate Citizen

I've tried twice, with no success. And this from a guy who read the LotR religiously for most of a decade, and whose favorite book might very well be The Silmarillion.

My Reenacting and Roleplaying Site
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:05 PM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Dune is amazing. It's the only book I've every read that makes me feel smarter than I am.

It's best selling science fiction book of all time--no other scifi book as sold as many copies.
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffr0 View Post
...you end up able to read the Simarillion more than once.'
Read it? I can't even spell Silma, Simer, Slim... it.

Actually I might have read it once ages ago. Can't say it stuck though. I re-read LOTR for the second time (just before the movies) and it was the first time it stuck.

Advice on Dune? Hmm, dunno, never had trouble with any of it. Can't say I recall slogging in mud at all. Read them all through and enjoyed them muchly a couple times. On my list for a reread at some point.

OK, might be silly as a suggestion, but the last time I read them it was late evenings, a chapter at a time, quiet house, warm, with a cup of hot chocolate and cinnamon (Spice ) toast and then to sleep.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:07 PM

Gallery : 1
Gadrin Citizen

Read Dune a few times, but I liked the books after it, God Emperor and Chapterhouse, etc. The Miles Teg book was the best.

I have my Dune Encyclopedia, which is selling for big $$ on AbeBooks now.

Tried LOTR but it was too "kiddie" for me. I'll watch the movies (never have, especially not that old anime version) if I feel the need.

Tried the Similarillion but it was too much. Kept it for a while just for the
elven names in the back

>

Most plans don't even survive contact with reality.

Thanks, Gadrin
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

The first book in the Dune series is close to the Sci-Fi channel version that was on a few years back (or the other way around). A lot was changed with the David Lynch version - but it's a good version with some background elements designed by H.R. Giger (who designed the Alien in Alien). Watch both if you get a chance.

I had to see the movie first to understand some of what was going on. He delves into ecology and politics more in the book. But after rereading it a few times, I started to realize that it's almost an Ali-Baba in Space - he even uses Roman and Middle Eastern terms and concepts throughout the series.

Oh, just to warn you, the Harkkonens are very different in the David Lynch movie than in the book. Not for childrens eyes or the faint of heart. I heard there was some footage that they wouldn't even release on the Extended Edition DVD - which would have made it Rated R.

My advice is to watch the movie then quickly read the book not caring whether you understand what they are talking about. It makes more sense when you reread it a few times.
Old March 11th, 2009, 09:10 PM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
The first book in the Dune series is close to the Sci-Fi channel version that was on a few years back (or the other way around). A lot was changed with the David Lynch version - but it's a good version with some background elements designed by H.R. Giger (who designed the Alien in Alien). Watch both if you get a chance.
Word on the street is that they're making a new Dune movie, due out in 2010, maybe.

The spice must flow.
Old March 11th, 2009, 09:14 PM

Jeffr0 Citizen

No. Do not watch the sci-fi channel version.

Barf.

Only Sting is evil enough to play Feyud Ratha.