Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Spinward Traveller

Spinward Traveller Discussion of the forthcoming Spinward Traveller Television Series

Old Yesterday, 02:16 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
martletsquire Citizen+martletsquire Citizen+martletsquire Citizen+

Blue Ghost,

The D&D movie... Oh, gods, the D&D movie.

Well, imagine if a bunch of script-writers, knowing that teens liked playing D&D, and knowing nothing else, take a crappy movie script out of someone's armpit and sprinkle some terms and names and add in even more crappy costuming and worse special effects...

"H&R Puffinstuff" was high production in comparison. That stupid purple/green dinosaur show was high production in comparison.

And it sucked so much they made a sequel, and, after that dog's breakfast, a tv series that sucked maggots out of moldy corpses.

And as to the whole Traveller movie thingy, not enough people out there know our game exists, let alone what it is all about, and have no idea over the commentary wars over all the little things that make Traveller, well, Traveller.

So, basically, one could skin Traveller and wear it as a suit, but that would be unfortunate. It would be so nice if the actual Traveller version of Traveller (whether Classical or Mongeesish, though I am a classisist, myself) was used as a basis, but well, probably more suited to a mini-series or a net show than a movie due to background, too much background.

Witness "The Orville." Supposedly no background, but within the first 10 seconds you go, "there's Star Trek music here..." And it is based off of ST and STNG (not the new movies, the series.)

Traveller is so different in it's initial presentation, that of frontier worlds under a benevolent (or not, hmmm) Imperial system, more British Empire and it's colonies and holdings than anything USA based (so not like Firefly. More like Space "Kipling" and "Dickens." (or as I see it, and remember the feeling that oozed out of the box so many years ago...))

And the focus on 'real science' with only some 'handwavium' (jump drive, really, that and maybe some other stuff, but mostly jump drive) makes it harder for normals to see, as they are used to seeing ships go swooshy like planes rather than having to do vector analysis.

Probably the same reasons that killed the "Honor Harrington" tv series that never got off the ground.
Old Yesterday, 03:50 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

*nodding vigorously*

You know dude, everything you say is so right. Back in the day when we were pre-teens / teens I had my doubts that Traveller would take off like D&D. I say that because the Starter Edition seemed to be the only sleek version of the game (at that time) that was out there.

Here we are thirty plus years later, and I'm still waiting for the game to take off

But I can see a CGI motion capture Vargr character, some NBA types playing Zhodani, regular Han Solo-ish dudes and dudettes for the main characters ... mostly scouts, but maybe a token army, navy and and/or marine tossed in there, and ... I dunno, make it pay homage to Outland and Aliens kind of thing, with a dash of classic Trek tossed in there.

That's what I would produce.

If I understand from Aramis correctly, Marc Miller has been energetic in keeping Traveller G/PG territory in terms of violence and romance, ergo if it ever came to pass, in spite of things like FGMP-15s, VRF Gauss Guns and grav tanks tearing up the place, the action would be more A-Team like ... which I think is too bad, but I'd respect it as either as Joe Sixpack in front of the TV or a production team member.

You know ... I wonder if the Judge's Guild modules are still leaving a mild stain on our passion.
Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++

The brutality of the combat systems belie a PG rating, other then no not going into grisly detail like I have IMTU.
Old Today, 03:24 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

I have always wondered about the hardware and other instruments of violence verse the ethic the powers that be want to keep for the game. It'll be interesting to see what finally manifests on the screen.
Old Today, 04:13 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+

Good story and characters matter more than the setting.