Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old November 26th, 2015, 02:20 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++
Default Concept for triple missile launcher

I have been working to polish my work, and part of it was creating components for my other work.So I set down and designed a series of turrets. I went with canister styled launchers since turrets house a ton of missile internally.

a simple rail launcher could be used, with a reload system to cyclpe new missiles into place, however I was inspired by the TOW missile launcher on an old M-113 anti-tank vehicle. That and the Rolling Airframe Launchers.

I wanted it to be able to fold down out of the way, elevate, and then cycle into a loading position.It took some time to get it worked. There are some problems with it but I am no engineer.

I built the model in several sections, so it can be animated, if i ever get that good

Here's the fluff text.

Quote:
Missiles are one of the standard weapons of most forms of modern combat, they deliver a powerful, accurate punch at great distances often able to inflict critical damage on any but the most heavily armored targets. Using a wide variety of warheads, seekers, propulsion, and guidance systems, missiles are flexible, energy efficient, and powerful weapons. when combined into multi-launcher batteries they can send waves of lethal ordnance at an enemy that may be hard pressed to defend against the incoming fire.

The missile launcher can be attached to other weapons mounts, including laser, sandcaster, and particle weapons, as well as ballistic turrets. combining weapons in a single mount do give extra flexibility on ships with limited hardpoints, however the most powerful arrangements combine missiles into a single battery.

The smallest launcher typically carried by a starship is the turret mount. a canister fitted with firecontrol linkages to the ships own sensors feeds target data to the missiles own guidance and seeker systems, directs the missile in the general direction of the target, and fires the missile. from that point on the missiles sensors, and flight control systems take over and the gunnery team can move on to the next target, or fire additional salvos at the same target.

While launchers can be a simple rail fed individual missiles from a ready store placed near the launcher, a common model places the missiles in a single canister mounted on arms to lift it clear of the hull to freely rotate and elevate to track targets, then fold away when not in use. to reload a fresh canister of missiles, the mount rotates the canister into position over loading hatches, a fresh canister is slid into the canister, and locked into place. This speeds reload times, but is not universal, however many missile launcher uses the fire, rotate to reload position, back into firing position cycle.

to reduce the mass being rotated by the mount fire control, and anchoring structures are located it eh hull of the ship, allowing a gunner, to set in the position or operate it from remote stations elsewhere in the ship. The pedestal is still required to mount data transfer, sensor linkages, and power systems for the various hardware to operate the weapon systems.

Nothing is new, nothing is impossible...
Old November 26th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Baron

Gallery : 107
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

Is there a like button on this? I like those turrets and the idea of popping up and rotating into firing position.
Old November 26th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Baron

Redcap Citizen

You can add reputation instead; click on the bar running along the top of a given post, you'll see a set of scales between the post number and the warning triangle. Click the scales. Simples

Roger's Land Grabs

Knight of Deneb, Reft 3030 Rampart A434200-F
Knight of Deneb, Spin 2124 Lunion A995984-D
Baron Burtson, Spin 2534 Burtson C562667-8
Vicount Extolay, Spin 1711 Extolay B55589A-A
Count Lunion, Spin 2124 Lunion A995984-D
MCG (Extolay), FFW Medal, CCM (1), OSM (3), ISM (10 Years), Wound badge
Old November 26th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Baron

Redcap Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbyrd View Post

I have been working to polish my work, and part of it was creating components for my other work.So I set down and designed a series of turrets. I went with canister styled launchers since turrets house a ton of missile internally.

a simple rail launcher could be used, with a reload system to cyclpe new missiles into place, however I was inspired by the TOW missile launcher on an old M-113 anti-tank vehicle. That and the Rolling Airframe Launchers.

I wanted it to be able to fold down out of the way, elevate, and then cycle into a loading position.It took some time to get it worked. There are some problems with it but I am no engineer.

I built the model in several sections, so it can be animated, if i ever get that good

Here's the fluff text.
Your thinking was something like Sea Dart, yes? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgU9B6tQnZM

Roger's Land Grabs

Old November 26th, 2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliver988 View Post
Is there a like button on this? I like those turrets and the idea of popping up and rotating into firing position.
I appreciate that. I had to use a few aspirin trying to get the arrangement to work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcap View Post
Your thinking was something like Sea Dart, yes? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgU9B6tQnZM
Yes, yes in deed, one of the missiles I was thinking of for the rail type launchers. I have that version around here, somewhere...the sea dart is a nasty customer too, not as modern as some, but definitely effective for its day.....

the fact you could theoretically shoot at surface targets was a plus.

Old November 26th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Baron

Redcap Citizen

Another thought is that the magazine and feed system can be kept out of the pressurised life-support bubble, so that any hits to it could reduce the effect on those pressurised areas of a ship (you'd need IMTU-style rules, but it could work)

Roger's Land Grabs

Old November 26th, 2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Another thought is that the magazine and feed system can be kept out of the pressurised life-support bubble, so that any hits to it could reduce the effect on those pressurised areas of a ship (you'd need IMTU-style rules, but it could work)
I thought about adding an external ready magazine for the system. Since the turret weapons are outside the hull a one ton canister per turret wouldn't be too far outside the rules.

Old November 26th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Baron

Redcap Citizen

That would account for the boxy shape of each launcher, then

Roger's Land Grabs

Old November 26th, 2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
That would account for the boxy shape of each launcher, then
Its part launcher part ammo cannister

I have been playing around with several versions. Rail type, cellular launchers, and this boxy canister style.

Old November 26th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Baron

Redcap Citizen

Cellular launcher, what, like an RBU system? Interesting.

Reloading whatever system you select (whether cell or box) will be a challenging proposition, though, especially in the middle of a battle. A rail system from a central magazine will be easier if the ship design permits it (1.5 x 1.5 x 3 metre standard half-size cargo containers with missiles ready to be fed into a magazine would help), but that's about all that comes to mind

Roger's Land Grabs