Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Research Station

Imperial Research Station A forum for discussing technology and related topics for use in the Traveller Universe

Old March 12th, 2016, 06:42 PM
Knight

Gallery : 0
Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation
Default "space highway" from Starrigger

For those of you who've read the Starrigger series by John DeChancie, what do you think about an interstellar roadway network? Some highway that for intents and purposes, operates like a normal multilane highway system in any nation here on Earth, complete with gravity and perhaps life support, connecting various systems, or perhaps even worlds by way of some form of teleportation "on ramp" and "off ramp" system.

Thoughts?
Old March 12th, 2016, 11:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

reminds me of the transport system in "they live".
Old March 15th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

I never read nor seen "they live", but Starrigger is an interesting trilogy dealing with a highway built by an extremely advanced race as a very inexpensive and efficient means of connecting systems and worlds. And the entire network is not fully explored. I can't recall if it's intergalactic or not in the book.

The stories themselves are exceptionally well written, but somewhat and ever so marginally predictable.

Anyway, I bring it up because it strikes me as a very interesting ATU, and I was wondering if anyone else had read the series or had thoughts on it in relation to a Traveller gaming application.
Old March 15th, 2016, 03:05 PM

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

oh, how did I forget, also reminds me of c. j. cherryh's gate of ivrel, well of shiuan, and fires of azeroth.

Quote:
I never read nor seen "they live"
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum." $5 on amazon, or wherever else.

Quote:
thoughts on it in relation to a Traveller gaming application.
previous threads on "what is traveller" generally reached the conclusion that traveller is mostly 1) jump and somewhat 2) the imperium. take away the imperium and "traveller" starts looking plain vanilla generic template, and take away jump and there's not much left. if this highway exists then jump goes away, and if the highway is freely available then the imperium goes away.

Last edited by robject; March 15th, 2016 at 03:45 PM..
Old March 16th, 2016, 12:00 PM

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

This sounds like the highway system in the Dragonstar (D&D 3.0) space opera campaign Fantasy Flight Games came out with. An actual highway of some length with on and off-ramps to the rest of a regional capital. At the end of the highway road segment was a very large StarGate, which teleported/transported you to the next road segment which is the next regional capital. You did not have to wait or anything, just keep driving at the posted speed...

Last edited by aramis; March 16th, 2016 at 03:27 PM..
Old March 16th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

shadowlord Citizen

You could also take the approach used in either the Jack Campbell's "Lost Fleet" series or the Kris Longknife series. In Lost fleet the Highway was discovered and was alien in construction. You just sent you destination to the terminus and entered and was deleivered to your destination's system ( astrogation roll?) you still need a jump drive ( not clearly defined to use). there were also naturally occurring jump points in system which you could to transit between systems. The Aliens whoever we still alive and could change your destination without warning and even blow the terminus up remotely.
In the longknife series there are naturally occurring jump points but these were determined to part of a long deceased alien races transport system. As the humans explored they discovered what was called fuzzy jump points. These were supposedly lost/underused jump points.
Old March 16th, 2016, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Doohan and Stirling's Flight Commander series used a keyhole drive to access hyperspace strings; there was travel time along the strings, and you could drop in/out only at specific points, but a given jump line might connect several dozen systems. They were not, however, constructed; the warp lines were naturally occurring.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old March 16th, 2016, 07:53 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

This theory is probably the superhighway you are looking for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krasnikov_tube

Issue though is in order to maintain such megastructures, you will have to have a very stable government or fiscal/corporate/postal union of some sort. Or at least all parties are horrified at the concept of destroying them or making malicious versions of the technology.

Example, if there doesn't have to be a 'gate' or other mechanism in place to enable the tube at the destination, an empire could have a 'tube gun' that could be firing near-c meteor swarms onto facilities or planets from 3000 light years away.

Heh, such a technology certainly could explain large swaths of 'no intelligent life' and high asteroid belt formation in galactic regions.
Old March 16th, 2016, 08:08 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Doohan and Stirling's Flight Commander series used a keyhole drive to access hyperspace strings; there was travel time along the strings, and you could drop in/out only at specific points, but a given jump line might connect several dozen systems. They were not, however, constructed; the warp lines were naturally occurring.
The OP could go Forever War with the collapsar-to-collapsar transit, although not sure how much Traveller story/plotline would be functional with the time dilation/generational changes per trip.
Old March 17th, 2016, 04:39 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit savage's Blog
savage Citizen

Haven't read star rigger. But there is also slipstream from Andromeda, Hyperspace from B5. I don't see space highways as being a good fit for Traveller even if there a worm hole approach.
Sarriiu of Depot, CORR1511 50 KB
Count Efate, SPIN1705, Mar Skull, SPIN2420
Knight Ngimi ANTA2535, Mar Syzygy SOLO3006
TAS LISH2836
http://corridordepot.blogspot.com/
Cry Havoc and let slip the VARGRs of war.
William Shakespeare's Revised Works,"Julius Caesar", Act 3 scene 1. MTU654