Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register


Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 26th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Brandon C Brandon C is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 883
Gallery : 0
Brandon C Citizen+Brandon C Citizen+
Default 600-ton frigate

600-ton frigate

The frigate is intended to escort warships and perform military duties, unlike the corvette and corvette escort with mainly deal with piracy. The frigate is still not well-armed or -armored, but does have some punch with it's particle beam barbettes. It has a socket for one 30-ton module, allowing it to be customized slightly for specific missions.

The frigate has maneuver drive-M, jump drive-J and power plant-M, giving Jump-3 and 4G acceleration. 234 tons of fuel supports the power plant for 6 weeks and one Jump-3. Six fuel processors are installed. A Model 4/fib and Model 2/fib computers and very advanced electronics are located in the bridge. There are 18 staterooms and 3 emergency low berths, Two armouries and two briefing rooms are also provided. The ship has six hardpoints, with four triple beam laser turrets and two particle accelerator barbettes. Two 20-ton launches are carried for boarding actions and general duties. A modular socket for one 30-ton cutter module is installed. The ship is equipped with repair drones and 5 probe drones. Cargo capacity is 26 tons. The ship is streamlined, has stealth and has armor 4.

Crew consists of a commander, first officer, 3 pilots, navigator, medic, 3 engineers, 6 gunners, 4 small craft crew and 10 marines. The ship costs MCr 450.24 with small craft.
__________________
A generous and sadistic GM,
Brandon Cope

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com

Last edited by Brandon C; November 26th, 2015 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old November 26th, 2015, 05:27 PM
wbyrd's Avatar
wbyrd wbyrd is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 602
Gallery : 0
wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++
Default

if it serves as an inspection boarding vessel Might I suggest a purchase several bulk purchases of the following.

http://wbyrd.deviantart.com/art/Secu...-Pod-573754942

I OFFER FULL TECHNICAL SUPPORT,SPARES, AND A FREE CASE OF VARGR WHISKEY WITH EACH CONTRACT.
__________________
nihil novi sub sole
nil mortalibus ardui est

Nothing is new, nothing is impossible...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 27th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Brandon C Brandon C is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 883
Gallery : 0
Brandon C Citizen+Brandon C Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbyrd View Post
if it serves as an inspection boarding vessel Might I suggest a purchase several bulk purchases of the following.

http://wbyrd.deviantart.com/art/Secu...-Pod-573754942

I OFFER FULL TECHNICAL SUPPORT,SPARES, AND A FREE CASE OF VARGR WHISKEY WITH EACH CONTRACT.
Kinda overkill to board another ship for an inspection
__________________
A generous and sadistic GM,
Brandon Cope

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old November 27th, 2015, 01:11 PM
wbyrd's Avatar
wbyrd wbyrd is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 602
Gallery : 0
wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon C View Post
Kinda overkill to board another ship for an inspection
Overkill is an artificial construct created by accounting, to limit the free exercise of your charge card. IN collusion with prosecuting attorneys to increase their own position.

I'll make the offer two cases of whiskey, delivered by my own personal assistant. She's got great legs....

sorry couldn't resist.
__________________
nihil novi sub sole
nil mortalibus ardui est

Nothing is new, nothing is impossible...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 27th, 2015, 01:14 PM
McPerth's Avatar
McPerth McPerth is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 7,725
Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon C View Post
Kinda overkill to board another ship for an inspection
I'd say better a show of force, that many times avoids this same force to be needed (but when it does...).
__________________
Duke of ShaiaVland 3215 B64A998-E
Marquis of Ashtagz Tyui SR 1818C548786-8
SEH for actions in Extolay

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 29th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Patron Zero Patron Zero is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Midwestern Enclaves
Posts: 825
Gallery : 41
Patron Zero Citizen++Patron Zero Citizen++Patron Zero Citizen++Patron Zero Citizen++
Send a message via Yahoo to Patron Zero
Default

A show of force, or the impression of potential force, is always a nice thing.

".....we add this piece of pipe and the krauts think we've got a 90mm....."
__________________
" I carry the dust of a journey that cannot be shaken away ....."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 29th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Shadowrunner Shadowrunner is offline
Citizen: SOC-10
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Retinae/Querion
Posts: 74
Gallery : 47
Shadowrunner Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Shadowrunner
Default

The Type T illustrations led me to believe boardings were routine...
__________________
Download WIP adventures, deckplans and more:
http://www.travellerfrontiers.wordpress.com
Coming Soon: https://travellerwaystation.wordpress.com - Deckplans for an asteroid belt station.
Somewhere between Piah and Inchin, trying to Annexe Lele and Lune into the Five Sisters region.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 29th, 2015, 03:11 PM
wbyrd's Avatar
wbyrd wbyrd is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 602
Gallery : 0
wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++
Default

A good idea of how that works is the coast guard...If you linger in an area too long, or are a frequent presence in an area outside of normal traffic patterns you get boarded.

My brother-in-law was a skipper on a work boat. We had an odd route that took us through areas frequented by drug smugglers. and other les than savory types. It also had us loitering.

There are standard compliance inspections, to make sure everyone's papers are in order. And in areas where smuggling is a problem they will board and inspect for contraband. But mostly, they pick ships that are operating outside the Norm.

If you are a fairly routine traveler, and not in a system where there is trouble, or you haven't been tagged for routine inspection..( figure that's an annual event) You wont see much of an inspection ship other than watching it sail by giving you a casual once over.
__________________
nihil novi sub sole
nil mortalibus ardui est

Nothing is new, nothing is impossible...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 30th, 2015, 06:06 AM
aramis's Avatar
aramis aramis is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Anchorage, AK, USofA
Posts: 29,466
Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbyrd View Post
A good idea of how that works is the coast guard...If you linger in an area too long, or are a frequent presence in an area outside of normal traffic patterns you get boarded.

My brother-in-law was a skipper on a work boat. We had an odd route that took us through areas frequented by drug smugglers. and other les than savory types. It also had us loitering.

There are standard compliance inspections, to make sure everyone's papers are in order. And in areas where smuggling is a problem they will board and inspect for contraband. But mostly, they pick ships that are operating outside the Norm.

If you are a fairly routine traveler, and not in a system where there is trouble, or you haven't been tagged for routine inspection..( figure that's an annual event) You wont see much of an inspection ship other than watching it sail by giving you a casual once over.
Small problem there - The USCG has (since 1920-something) had real-time communications with base on almost all cutters. So they CAN CHECK to see if you're a known/recurrent in the area, wanted elsewhere, etc.

Barring actual hard-schedule lines (which may be as low as 9 day cycles, or as high as 14 day cycles), nothing from out of system is known locally unless data was sent earlier. Which would likely go in the form of being along the mail route, anyway.

A lot should also depend upon the law level. If one treats the rules as procedural representations of the imposed setting...

Remembering the Reactions Table:
DieReaction
2Violent. Immediate attack.
3Hostile. Attack on 5+.
4Hostile. Attack on 8+.
5Hostile. May attack.
6Unreceptive.
7Non-committal.
8Interested.
9Intrigued.
10Responsive.
11Enthusiastic.
12Genuinely friendly.


And TTB has this on page 84:
Law level is also the general throw
to avoid harassment by police or other law enforcement agencies. For example,
on a world with law level 4, the throw to avoid arrest when encountering an
enforcement agent such as a customs official or policeman is 4+.
A more nuanced approach is on page 99 of TTB:
The referee should throw once per day for legal encounters (throw local law level or less to avoid an encounter).
If an encounter is called for, a local enforcer will stop the adventurers and require identification. The referee should roll for the enforcer's reaction as well, using adverse reactions as an indication of greater harassment, and positive reactions as a potential source of rumors, assistance, or patrons.
In which case, using CT 2E (TTB), each day there's 2d6≤LL chance of encounter with law. A Type T is the likely result.
This is vaguely likely to be in addition to the (expected) customs at docking/landing. And separate from the types T in space encounters. (who, when not pirate, might be private fast yachts, or off-to-maintenance system patrols, or even licensed privateers.

Note that Cops ALSO use the reactions table - but read "Attack" as "try to find and/or provoke a reason for arrest"; a 2 is likely "Arrest and plant evidence" if the players cannot modify/mollify them quickly... And ready willingness (as evidenced with Liaison) is likely to modify their reaction roll.
__________________
~ Aramis
aramis.hostman.us /trav
Smith & Wesson: The Original Point and Click interface!

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 30th, 2015, 07:16 AM
wbyrd's Avatar
wbyrd wbyrd is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 602
Gallery : 0
wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Small problem there - The USCG has (since 1920-something) had real-time communications with base on almost all cutters. So they CAN CHECK to see if you're a known/recurrent in the area, wanted elsewhere, etc.

Barring actual hard-schedule lines (which may be as low as 9 day cycles, or as high as 14 day cycles), nothing from out of system is known locally unless data was sent earlier. Which would likely go in the form of being along the mail route, anyway.

A lot should also depend upon the law level. If one treats the rules as procedural representations of the imposed setting...

Remembering the Reactions Table:
DieReaction
2Violent. Immediate attack.
3Hostile. Attack on 5+.
4Hostile. Attack on 8+.
5Hostile. May attack.
6Unreceptive.
7Non-committal.
8Interested.
9Intrigued.
10Responsive.
11Enthusiastic.
12Genuinely friendly.


And TTB has this on page 84:
Law level is also the general throw
to avoid harassment by police or other law enforcement agencies. For example,
on a world with law level 4, the throw to avoid arrest when encountering an
enforcement agent such as a customs official or policeman is 4+.
A more nuanced approach is on page 99 of TTB:
The referee should throw once per day for legal encounters (throw local law level or less to avoid an encounter).
If an encounter is called for, a local enforcer will stop the adventurers and require identification. The referee should roll for the enforcer's reaction as well, using adverse reactions as an indication of greater harassment, and positive reactions as a potential source of rumors, assistance, or patrons.
In which case, using CT 2E (TTB), each day there's 2d6≤LL chance of encounter with law. A Type T is the likely result.
This is vaguely likely to be in addition to the (expected) customs at docking/landing. And separate from the types T in space encounters. (who, when not pirate, might be private fast yachts, or off-to-maintenance system patrols, or even licensed privateers.

Note that Cops ALSO use the reactions table - but read "Attack" as "try to find and/or provoke a reason for arrest"; a 2 is likely "Arrest and plant evidence" if the players cannot modify/mollify them quickly... And ready willingness (as evidenced with Liaison) is likely to modify their reaction roll.

That is really useful information thanks.

With odern databases yeah the current coast guard has that information on it's screen before you even realize your being tracked.

Back in m day ( bad crusty ol' codger voice) It was a bit harder to have that information. It wasn't centralized, and regulations were a lot looser than current regs..so it was a bit more like the wild west with seagulls.

the Captain of a cutter could call in for a registry check, and get the basics, tonnage, captain, owner etc..if they had a reason to be suspicious they might get a general "of interest" flag.

I imagine the same info could be relayed by X-boat in a mail package and distributed to patrol ships as they check in...but other that that yep, not a clue you just shot up a trade station, and made off with fifty dTons tons of refined radioactives.


And the way you describe interactions with customs/inspection vessels is roughly accurate

In one case they knew that someone on the supply boats was delivering Pot to workers on the oil rigs our company was contracted to re-supply. so For months every time we turned around we got boarded , given a top to bottom search, and met those not-so-cheerful lads with the M-16s on a less than casual basis.

other times a cutter wold just cruise by casually give us a look over sound it's air horn a couple of times, wave and be on it's way.

Then there was the time A cutter Captain my Brother in law knew well pulled up and over the loud speaker we hear" Heeyyyyy Blevins I hear you have a fast boat...lets see how fast."

You would not believe how fast one of those big cutters can move...we were empty at the time so we gave him a really good run. And, Fortunately they haven't came up with no drag racing rules for ocean going craft at the time.

So basically yeah, sometimes the cops are friendly and polite, sometimes they are all business, on a bad day they are looking to haul your butt to lockup....and sometimes they are just bored and looking for an excuse to cut up a little.
__________________
nihil novi sub sole
nil mortalibus ardui est

Nothing is new, nothing is impossible...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vahalla Class Frigate Rigel Stardin The Fleet 6 March 9th, 2011 05:47 PM
Aristina Class Frigate skyth The Fleet 1 March 16th, 2009 03:46 AM
Tiniaa-class Frigate Jame The Fleet 0 March 19th, 2007 06:56 PM
Type-K 1000 Ton Frigate Jame The Fleet 10 April 26th, 2005 12:12 PM

This website and its contents are copyright ©2010- Far Future Enterprises. All rights reserved. Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises .
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.