Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > T20 - Traveller for the D20 System

T20 - Traveller for the D20 System Open discussion on the D20 version of Traveller!

Old September 13th, 2021, 06:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

Gallery : 0
bookwyrm Citizen+bookwyrm Citizen+
Lightbulb P/Steward

I was kind of surprised, after I got to know T20 a little, to see that anyone without any skills or training can be a Steward. this, for a position, that is serving Passengers who are paying for, and expecting, better cuisine, entertainment, and accommodations, than the Middle Passengers are getting. and getting paid Cr3000 a month. I guess if you are flying between worlds far from the main or secondary trade routes, High Pax might have as low expectations of service as the Mid Pax do. but the closer to the Main Trade Routes you get, the higher the expectations get for better service. I'm sure that the poor service these High Pax get will result in the posting of low reviews at the next Star Port, which will be read by other potential High Pax, who might end up going on another ship or down grading to Mid Pax.

P/Steward Skill can be used to give a random crew member some experience or training in serving High Paxs. for a Steward whose only duty is to serve High Passengers, they would have better training and experience, which can translate to very happy High Paxs, who might post glowing, if not rave, reviews at the next Star Port. this could make some Mid Pax consider upgrading to High Pax to experience this incredible service on some Tramp Trader.

because of the high expectations of High Passengers, rolling -10 or -20 of the difficulty check could result in -1d6 or -2d6, respectively, of the number of High Pax interested in flying on your piece of junk. on the other hand, rolling +10 or +20 of the difficulty check, +1d3 or +1d6, respectively, added to the number of High Pax who are interested in the incredible service that your ship has to offer (the penalty and bonus rolls could be changed at GM's discretion).

the Profession Cascade Skill states that it's Skilled only. so any one trying to be a Steward with out any training, is looking at penalties when serving their High Paxs.

Merchant & Professional, and a few other Classes, have Profession Skill as a Class Skill, otherwise, it's a Cross Class Skill. other Skills could be used in place of P/Steward, with a -2 penalty, at the GM's discretion.

as an option for Steward & Chief Steward Feats, you could require 5 Skill Points in P/Steward for Steward Feat (available at Merchant 2), and 8 or 10 Skill Points in P/Steward for the Chief Steward Feat (available at Merchant 5 or 7, depending on how experienced the GM feels the Steward needs to be).

the bonus & penalties from P/Steward stack with the Steward & Chief Steward Feats.

P/Steward could have been learned at University or a Trade School, or from training when hired by a big passenger line, or maybe apprenticed under a Steward on a Tramp Trader. or learned the hard way, by getting it wrong at first, then doing some research online to find out how to improve your skills, all for having happy High Paxs spending Credits to be on your little ship.
Old September 14th, 2021, 04:09 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Unskilled stewards have been allowed in all other editions. Steward skill gets more high passengers, but anyone can do laundry, serve reheated foodpacks, and make a bed. Especially since the core rules conceit of CT was mostly veterans... all of whom learned to make a bed with standard military bedding...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old September 14th, 2021, 06:09 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Depends on what the player, the Dungeon Master, and the game developer expected from Steward.

Cooking, cleaning, shepherding and serving, that could include customer service.

Also, I rather have Gordon Ramsay stay in the kitchen, than serve the meal, or pull my pants up.
Old September 14th, 2021, 06:13 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

bookwyrm Citizen+bookwyrm Citizen+

I could see that unskilled Stewards are kind of considered the norm on Tramp Traders and the smaller liners traveling off the Main Passenger Routes (not to mention the differences between CT & others, and T20, on this subject).

where a Campaigns focus is Adventure or something else, and the Trade Ship is just for getting around, then P/Steward Skill wouldn't be really important. but when the focus is Trading, making a profit with cargo and/or passengers, having P/Steward Skill or not, could make or break a ships budget, and make for some interesting scenarios, good or bad, with the passengers.

besides, Merchant has Profession Skill as a Class Skill, probably for P/Admin or P/Inter Stellar Law. since some Merchants are trained as Stewards to work with Passengers, at least in the big Liner companies, why not a P/Steward Skill?

also, considering that T20 has a few more options for making revenue on the cargo side of the ledger, as a GM, why not make it a little harder for revenue on the passenger side of things. at least for a Merchant focused campaign. even a few skill points in P/Steward could avert financial disaster. and someone with Professional Class who went the Professional Steward route, can take 10 with the Professional Specialty Feat for P/Steward. a Merchant/Professional multi class Steward with Steward & Chief Steward Feats, could make the High Passenger side of a Trade Ship very lucrative.

thanks for the feedback.
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

I have the T20 CD and have been looking through it. I have not seen that information regarding the Steward. I do not agree with it.

First, you are not heating up food packs for High Passengers, or any other passengers, nor for the crew. The High Passengers are paying 10,000 Credits for a trip of one week, the Middle Passengers are paying 8000 Credits for a trip of one week. They are not going to tolerate eating food packs for that kind of money. Would you? Will an Aslan passenger eat a food pack, aside from the fact that an Aslan is going to require more food than a human, and basically all meat?

Laundry, making beds, and general cleaning is something that can be done by a dedicated deck or crew hand. Keeping High Passengers happy is a different skill, and aside from some reasonably good cooking skills, some idea of entertainment should be a must. Making up a foursome for a game of Bridge would be one example.

Having been on Real World cruise ships the following just does not cut it.

Quote:
Almost anyone can be hired as a steward, so long as they are patient and friendly with strangers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.