Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Cleon Memorial Library

The Cleon Memorial Library For discussion of Traveller fiction, both official and fan-written. Fan-written drafts are explicitly welcome.

Old September 13th, 2021, 04:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 9
Grav_Moped Citizen+Grav_Moped Citizen+Grav_Moped Citizen+

Commentary
@ The Pakkrat: Thanks! I've been looking forward to seeing how you'd continue the character development.

General: Ok, we're keeping the ANNIC NOVA.

I'll write for the captain since that seems to be an open slot. He's a prior-service Scout.

I'm also going to assume that the ship has most of a full crew, and the rest are NPCs that either will or won't get their own first-person narration depending on what happens. These are: third engineer (currently off-shift, sleeping), medic, and two gunners. The Medic has to be high-SOC for how I want the backstory to have worked; everything else is open.
Old September 14th, 2021, 02:45 AM

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

_____

Commentary
_____

Not exactly a play-by-post. I'm just going to do the 24 hours. But 24 hours cut into 15 minute increments can be 96 events.

If we want to switch ships, I'm good with that.

I'm thinking up some off-ship events. Maybe hit the Startown if I can find any docs on my computer about it.
Old September 14th, 2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
_____

Commentary
_____

Not exactly a play-by-post. I'm just going to do the 24 hours. But 24 hours cut into 15 minute increments can be 96 events.

If we want to switch ships, I'm good with that.

I'm thinking up some off-ship events. Maybe hit the Startown if I can find any docs on my computer about it.
Commentary
@ Spinward Scout:
Ok, being dirtside is different with ANNIC NOVA. The ship would be hanging out at the 100D limit, so visiting the starport means you'd have to be on the pinnace that's down there getting the last of the cargo. The passenger pinnace has 4 starship-grade staterooms but almost no cargo space -- you'll need to arrange a shuttle to haul the cargo to Jump Limit.
(Continuity note: This puts you there with your droid and the NPC engineer/small craft pilot.)

The previous Chief Engineer quit and left the ship here at Regina. {Spoiler for DA1}
Spoiler:
He'd caught a perfectly ordinary case of "planetside crud," and despite being diagnosed as NOT having a relapse/re-infection of the killer disease from when they found the ship, wanted off this d@mned plague ship RIGHT NOW. The overreaction was probably PTSD.
Other than that, he left on good terms.
The NPC engineer/small craft pilot is a new hire.

(This is how Doen got the sudden surprise promotion.)

Current Location:
Regina/Regina (SM 1910)

We're currently voyaging from Efate/Regina (where the ship was inspected and returned to us) to Victoria/Lanth (pursuing a clue discovered during DA1; it's also an Ancients site).

Our next destination is Dinomn/Lanth (SM 1912).

---------------
Reference:
You Are Here:
Regina/Regina (SM 1910)
A788899-C
Rich, Pre-Agricultural, Pre-High Population, Ancient Site, Subsector Capital
Mainworld is a satellite of a Large Gas Giant. (see subsequent posts)
Minor Race Homeworld: Amindii
< 20% Vargr
< 10% Aslan

Jump limit for Regina is approximately 14 million km from the planet (its 100D limit is based on the Large Gas Giant that it orbits).
The pinnaces can transit this in about 8 hours at 5G.
The hired cargo shuttle takes 12 hours at 3G.
(I used the LBB2 table and guessed at the interpolation. Close enough.)

Lightspeed communication takes 47 seconds each way.

We're going to:
Dinomn/Lanth (SM 1912)
B674632-9
Agricultural, Non-industrial.

ANNIC NOVA small craft:

{Spoliers for DA1}
Spoiler:

Pinnace I: 40Td, 5G. 1 Pulse Laser, Mod/1 computer (nonstandard, 3Td). 17.6Td cargo (or 16 passengers in fold-and-stow acceleration couches).

Pinnace V: 40Td, 5G. 1 Pulse Laser, Mod/1 computer (nonstandard, 3Td).
4 standard staterooms, 1.6Td cargo.

These are LBB2 '81 craft instead of the LBB2 '77 ones described in the text. I added the oversized computers and upgraded the staterooms in order to fill up the space that was fuel tankage in the original versions.

Bigger spoiler:
Spoiler:
Yes, they're the "drive pods" in the picture below.

The ANNIC NOVA has 150Td cargo capacity. (Not really a significant spoiler, I don't think.)

If we're going to keep using it, I really ought to describe where everything is, relative to everything else. Not really a deck plan, just a location chart.

Spaces I've used in my writing thus far:
{Spoilers for DA1}
Spoiler:
The Jump Drives are hidden behind (partially covered by) the Collector Canopy, in pods on either side of centerline.
The hydroponics bay is the long corridor going aft to the struts holding the big pods.
The control panel is in the hub where the struts join.
The observation dome is behind the hub.

(Image Credit: http://www.skaran.net/bannerscampaig...anicnova.html; jpg is an edited version of pp.4-5 of DA1 (c)GDW.)
Note that I am not using the TNE interpretation of the ship given at the image credit link.

If anyone has a link to something like this in the forum Image Gallery, I'll swap that in instead.

Last edited by Grav_Moped; September 14th, 2021 at 09:43 PM..
Old September 14th, 2021, 05:41 PM

Commentary:

I'll keep writing as though we're using "Old Annie" until otherwise specified.

If not ANNIC NOVA, then what are your preferences?

Some options...
Keeping it small and canonical:
- Type S Scout/Courier
- Type J Seeker, hauling a little cargo.
Neither of these require an engineer, and right now we have two (and a third as an NPC, but that's easily ret-conned).
I'm open to rewriting my Engineer to be a Gunner or something if we go with one of these.

- Type A Free Trader
- Type A2 Far Trader
- Type Y Yacht
- Type K Safari Ship (doesn't have to be used for hunting).
Each of these need one engineer, and a medic. Navigator is optional in CT.
Again, I can rewrite my character as something more useful if necessary.

Somewhat larger:
- Type R Subsidized Merchant
- Type R2 Big Far Trader (it's the Type R but with Size D drives for J2/2G; deck plans same as Type R but less cargo space.)
- Type T Patrol Cruiser (doesn't really fit how we're writing so far)
- Type L Lab Ship (doesn't fit how we're writing, and would need many NPCs)
- Type P Corsair (I think we'd know already if we were pirates)

Do any of these "speak to you"? Or have I left something out that you'd rather use?

Last edited by Grav_Moped; September 14th, 2021 at 06:17 PM..
Old September 14th, 2021, 09:10 PM

Disregard, redundant.

Last edited by Grav_Moped; Yesterday at 12:30 AM.. Reason: Moved content into previous posts.
Old Yesterday, 01:52 AM

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav_Moped View Post
Commentary
Jump limit for Regina is approximately 14 million km from the planet (its 100D limit is based on the Large Gas Giant that it orbits).
The pinnaces can transit this in about 8 hours at 5G.
The hired cargo shuttle takes 12 hours at 3G.
_____

Commentary
_____

It's great reference material.

The problem is that it kinda defeats the point of having a Day in the Life if part of that day is 8-12 hours on Autopilot getting to the Jump Point.
Old Yesterday, 03:57 AM

Commentary
Now that I got that infodump out of the way...

Story
Hour 3

090-1106 Imperial
0930 Shipboard time
ISS ANNIC NOVA over Regina/Regina (SM 1910)

The bridge was strange and lonely. It was just him and too many control consoles under the low ceiling this morning. He looked down at the panel in front of him -- three months, and he still couldn't do everything by feel. It wasn't just that the controls were a little bit alien, they were also patched together with decades of improvised repairs. It all worked, but felt wrong.

------------------------------
Commentary
(I was in the process of writing him making a status-check comms call to the pinnace when I noticed the reply post.)

I'm holding here for now. If you want to swap out planets or the ship for a more-typical situation, let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
_____

Commentary
_____

It's great reference material.

The problem is that it kinda defeats the point of having a Day in the Life if part of that day is 8-12 hours on Autopilot getting to the Jump Point.
Commentary:
It occurs to me that a strict timeframe of "the 24 hours before lighting off the Jump Drive," has to include another 8 hours of sleep for everyone anyhow. But it's a fair point, and does seem a bit excessive for this exercise.

The speed differential means the pinnace can leave up to 4 hours later than the Shuttle and get still get there at the same time.
-------------
"If a shuttle leaves Regina at 9 AM accelerating at 3Gs, and a pinnace leaves at 1 PM accelerating at 5Gs..."

"I was told there would be no math."

"They lied."
----------
It's also an opening for two rolls on the ship encounter table; one made by the pinnace and another by the shuttle. Maybe a third one for the starship as well, if the two approaching small craft draw attention to it...

Subtext: A ship or small craft trying to intercept the cargo shuttle as it brakes to rendezvous with the starship will be surprised by the pinnace converging on all three at a pretty good clip...

Surely there's no way this could turn out badly!

Last edited by Grav_Moped; Yesterday at 03:16 PM.. Reason: Breaking this into two posts
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

NOTE: I've significantly revised this post and the previous one.

Commentary:
Disregard this if we're changing the ship.
This is getting way ahead of the timeline, but here's the situation I'm looking to set up for approximately 2100 Ship's Time:

- ANNIC NOVA is stationary at the 100D limit.
- Shuttle is approaching ANNIC NOVA, moving fast but braking at 3Gs as it has been for several hours. It will come to a stop at ANNIC NOVA.
- Intruder craft is overtaking Shuttle, moving a little faster than it but braking at 4Gs so it will come to a stop at the same place the Shuttle does (not knowing exactly what's there, but knowing the Shuttle is bringing cargo to it).
- Pinnace is approaching ANNIC NOVA, moving even faster but braking at 5Gs so it will come to a stop at ANNIC NOVA.
- Everyone gets there at the same time. Hilarity ensues.

Reference:
To set this up WITHOUT math (yeah, I lied -- math IS optional ), use LBB2 or Mayday (the latter is simpler) movement rules and work backwards:
Start all the ships at the NOVA, and have each one accelerate at its maximum rate toward Regina for about 4 turns.
Freeze everything in place.
Reverse each vessel's vector wherever they happen to be at that point (so they're now going as fast toward the NOVA as they were going away from it).
Restart, and have everyone decelerate (apply thrust away from NOVA) at their maximum rate each turn.
If there's no evasive maneuvering, everyone comes to a stop at the NOVA. Otherwise, they'll end up overshooting (which is OK -- fuel's not an issue, it just costs time to get back).

Last edited by Grav_Moped; Yesterday at 03:18 PM..
Old Today, 02:36 PM

Commentary:
Two possible alternatives:

Proposed alternate location:
Feri/Regina (Spinward Marches 2005)
B584879-B

It's Size 5, so getting to Jump Limit distance is fairly quick: 2h,15m for the ship's Pinnace at 5G, 3h for the Shuttle at 3G. Lightspeed comms lag is about 3 seconds each way.

It has a decent starport, so the shuttle's available and it's a good place to have hired the NPC engineer.

It's on the way back toward where they found the ship (DA 1, ANNIC NOVA, passim) and they could be looking for survivors of the previous crew.

Proposed alternate ship:
Type S3 Far Scout (100Td, J3/2G, TL-13).
It's a Type S with High Guard drives. The only changes are that the computer is a Mod/3 and the fuel tankage is 33Td.

If you want to include the cargo mini-game into the scenario, this ship can have 10Td additional cargo (total of 13Td) while being fuel-limited to Jump-2 (10Td internal demountable tanks).

This ship doesn't need an engineer, but the drives are non-standard so it'd still make sense to include The Pakkrat's character. I could re-write my engineer as either the gunner or pilot, as needed. My NPC engineer hasn't done anything yet so we can write him out without changing anything.

If we use this ship instead, I'd like to relocate this writing/RPG exercise to Collace/District 268 (Spinward Marches 1237) so my character can wander around there a bit.

Reference:
Collace/District 268 (Spinward Marches 1237) (Trav Wiki)
B 6 2 8 9 4 3 – D (Travellermap)
Collace Between the Lines (My IMTU revisions to the Wiki entry and then some.)

Type S3 Far Scout/Courier (I just posted this in the The Fleet subforum)
Commentary: I'll post a line-by-line breakdown of the S3 Far Scout here shortly once I clean it up.
Code:
Type S3 Far Scout/Courier TL 13
100Td, Jump-3/2G/Pn=3

Tons   MCr    Component/Notes
----  -----   --------------- 
      11      Hull, Cone (Conf:2)
      (But see note, below) 
 20    0.5    Bridge
  3   18      Computer Model/3
  4   16      J-3 Jump Drive
  5    3.5    2G Maneuver Drive
  6   18      Pn=3 Power Plant (TL-13)
 30           Jump Fuel
  3           Power Plant Fuel
  5    0.03   Fuel Purification
 16    2      4 Staterooms
  1    0.1    Hardpoint
  0    0.5    Double Turret (unarmed)
  4    0.6    Air/Raft
  3           Cargo
----  -----
100   58.63 (52.767 in quantity)

Note: If LBB5 designs are allowed to use 
LBB2 standard hulls, this saves MCr8.
Cost is then MCr50.63 (45.567 in qty.).

Last edited by Grav_Moped; Today at 05:50 PM..