Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old September 12th, 2021, 04:30 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 9
Grav_Moped Citizen+Grav_Moped Citizen+Grav_Moped Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Flow View Post
It's been almost 40 years since I last got to play Traveller as a Player ... but even back then, the way I got my Traveller fix was by building stuff.

Starships.
Vehicles.
Robots.

... stuff ...
Yep. Which was one of the really clever aspects of the game: you can still do "stuff" (shipbuilding, worldbuilding, chargen/NPC chargen) without a gaming group handy.

Also, vicariously by watching the Happy Jack's RPG Traveller actual play sessions (they use MgT2). 13 sessions so far in the current campaign, playlist at:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...oDAQzrEF7NdjQv

Streamed live on alternate Mondays (should be a new session this week) at 7PM Pacific.

The playlist doesn't yet include the most recent episode, which is available on their YouTube home page:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfZ...rxU35JRAQynGIg
Old September 12th, 2021, 07:17 PM

Gallery : 30
Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++

I've found it increasingly difficult to get anyone to actually play a game of Traveller. So, instead what I have found works, and actually works quite well, is use it as the basis--with some "artistic" license--for writing science fiction be it short stories or a full novel.
You really have everything you need to do it. Character generation, a ready made 'world' / universe, and all of the basics to produce a good story. If anything, it's easier than almost any other similar science fiction universe setting to do because it's more complete and designed from the start to make it happen.

So, make a ship, roll up a crew, then generate a scenario using the rules and off you go taking notes as you "play." You can take some license and 'rewind' the scenario(s) you're using if they go in a different direction. If the characters or whatever aren't working substitute ones that will and move back three steps then forward again.

The neat thing is these stories always seem to a take on a life of their own and soon you find the characters are doing things you never thought or intended them to do...
Old September 13th, 2021, 03:11 AM

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Flow View Post
There's another Traveller board doing Play By Post??
https://rpol.net has Traveller games. I'm not sure what's current.
(rpol is Role Play On Line)
Old September 13th, 2021, 09:19 AM
Baron

Gallery : 112
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++

I get my fix primarily through this site. I've managed to run a few games with my group, but Traveller for the non-Traveller fan can be a bit hard run and play (the universe can be so big and, unlike most western European based fantasy that "everyone" knows, SF universes are all different).

Though my current Fantasy Trip group (a father & his 2 sons) have mentioned they may want to try a SF game. So I may be able to introduce more people to Traveller as well (and finally got to actually play the Fantasy Trip for the 1st time as the dad ran his first game this weekend! woot!)

But also, as others have mentioned, playing with all the sub-systems. And goofing around with software (what my blog was originally for, as I had written a mostly complete trade program years ago, and then over the years have kept trying to do it all over again and never getting far. Guess it helped that the 1st time I was laid off so had 3 months of time to work a few hours a day on it...now I am lucky for an hour or two over the weekend)

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up Alpha
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up Alpha
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FIkuna E000410-A
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On Alellhttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9http://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Old September 13th, 2021, 01:02 PM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
https://rpol.net has Traveller games. I'm not sure what's current.
(rpol is Role Play On Line)
So does The Unseen Servant. https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/index.php
Old September 14th, 2021, 01:58 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 325
The Pakkrat Citizen++The Pakkrat Citizen++The Pakkrat Citizen++The Pakkrat Citizen++
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoki View Post
I've found it increasingly difficult to get anyone to actually play a game of Traveller. So, instead what I have found works, and actually works quite well, is use it as the basis--with some "artistic" license--for writing science fiction be it short stories or a full novel.
You really have everything you need to do it. Character generation, a ready made 'world' / universe, and all of the basics to produce a good story. If anything, it's easier than almost any other similar science fiction universe setting to do because it's more complete and designed from the start to make it happen.

So, make a ship, roll up a crew, then generate a scenario using the rules and off you go taking notes as you "play." You can take some license and 'rewind' the scenario(s) you're using if they go in a different direction. If the characters or whatever aren't working substitute ones that will and move back three steps then forward again.

The neat thing is these stories always seem to a take on a life of their own and soon you find the characters are doing things you never thought or intended them to do...
^^^This.
I use a game system to solo-play a story. This is how I get my Traveller fix when not gaming with other players.
The Pakkrat 0608 X58738-8 S va++ so+ zh+ vi+ da+ 534
On assignment: Holoi / Urnian (Foreven 2537) A972772-B He Pi Lk Ho {2} (76E+1) [5976] BD - - 112 10 Ho NaHu K4 IV BD MD
Old September 14th, 2021, 02:40 PM
Viscount

Gallery : 0
Quint Citizen+Quint Citizen+

I get my fix here, chatting with old friends who used to play, and running the occasional Traveller game (did a 1ish year campaign about a year ago).

D.
Medal for Conspicuous Gallantry - The Pursuits at Menorb
IMTU aka "Traveller 2200" = tp++ tc+ mt+ mgt+ tne-- !3i he+
Old September 14th, 2021, 02:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

Bravesteel Citizen

I get my Traveller fix via this forum, the Mongoose forums, r/Traveller, and several Facebook groups.

I am also getting ready to start an MGT2 solo game since I cannot find any local players and it looks like we aren't getting out of this pandemic anytime soon due to vaccine hesitancy and anti-vaccine groups.

IMTU tc- mgt ru+ ge 3i+ jt+ au- IS pi+ ta he+ kk+ hi+ as(-) va (-) dr+ ith+ vr+ ne so zh- vi da sy
Old September 14th, 2021, 04:45 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

richard gorman Citizen

A University friend introduced us to Traveller in 1980/81. For decades (It's aging roles all round now!) I've run regular weekend long stayover game fests for a fine group of chums. We've cycled through Runequest, Ars Magica, Trinity, Skyrealms of Jorune, Traveller (Often GURPS Traveller), my own yummy fantasy system and setting (Sulhan/Horizons available from Drive Thru for Weddings, Birthdays and Bar mitzvahs...) and many others. Currently we're neck deep in a long running Cthulhu campaign but one of the chums now runs an excellent fortnightly GURPS Traveller game by Zoom. Wonderful setting depth and detail in that Loren Wiseman inspired line. We started during lockdown, loved it and kept it going. Face to face is best but I recommend giving online a shot if you can't manage.

I currently have an absolute mountain of Traveller stuff lying in wait for action after the current campaign ends. I went completely doolally over the last few years finally writing up my own Earth centric 'Ad Astra' Traveller campaign as Cosmos: Age of Sail for Cepheus (Cue the predictable 'pick it up for free on Drive Thru' plug).

Even though I'm lucky enough to have always had a regular games fix I completely understand the craving to immerse in new stuff. Will I ever get round to running 'Deepnight Revelation' or all those old FASA scenarios? Barring the shock invention and availability of budget TL7 anagathics probably not. It's still a joy to dive into them and launch the old imagination though.
Old September 14th, 2021, 10:47 PM

infojunky Citizen+infojunky Citizen+

How I get my fix… been in ongoing good Traveller game for the last 30 years or so. Before that I ran episodic games starting ‘79. I have been a member of the TML since the Early 90s and GEnie as well.

Now add in the fanatical drive for 15mm figures for Traveller or suitable for play. By play I mean both RPG and Wargames. I spend a lot time crafting worlds for my little travellers.

So my fix, checking lists and forums daily for Traveller news, actually playing the game and well figures, drawing and modeling Traveller things.