Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Referee's Lounge

Referee's Lounge Discussion of how to (and not to) Referee Traveller and Cepheus Engine games. No edition warring allowed.

Old September 1st, 2017, 07:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
His/Her character dies at the next opportunity, or starts failing every die roll made. Lightning bolts to the head when underground do not seem appropriate for Traveller. However, an electrical short circuit while showering would be okay.
Agreed.

When I first was DM, back in early 80's, IIRC, when we only knew AD&D as RPG, I had one such players. After several warnings, when the pary was travelling a desert, he did the last straw (I cannot remember the exact one). Then I told the party that a piano has fallen from sky unpon his character. Some angels appeared, took the piano, and apologized, but the character was dead. "Not all angels play harp" was my explanation.

He took the message and did not join our D&D games any more.

Then the RPG community in Barcelona was quite small, and I was surprised, some years after that, in another gaming club whose people was not related with the one where this occured, when I heard talking about "falling pianos" as a threat of DM's wrath...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old September 1st, 2017, 09:16 PM
Margrave

Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
and this surprised you? prior to this you didn't pick up on any clues he might be this way?
Obviously not.

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old September 1st, 2017, 11:19 PM

timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
Agreed.

When I first was DM, back in early 80's, IIRC, when we only knew AD&D as RPG, I had one such players. After several warnings, when the pary was travelling a desert, he did the last straw (I cannot remember the exact one). Then I told the party that a piano has fallen from sky unpon his character. Some angels appeared, took the piano, and apologized, but the character was dead. "Not all angels play harp" was my explanation.

He took the message and did not join our D&D games any more.

Then the RPG community in Barcelona was quite small, and I was surprised, some years after that, in another gaming club whose people was not related with the one where this occured, when I heard talking about "falling pianos" as a threat of DM's wrath...
Now that is a real good one, McPerth.

I will have to remember that one. Oops. the Grav Truck just tipped a little.
Do you have a security clearance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Nail to the mast her holy flag,
Set every threadbare sail,
And give her to the god of storms,
The lightning and the gale!
Old September 9th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

TheDS Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonman View Post
Obviously not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
and this surprised you? prior to this you didn't pick up on any clues he might be this way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonman View Post
Sadly, yes. We were flabbergasted that after being asked to leave he wouldn't go.

We were floored when he wouldn't pack up when the police asked him to. They had to physically remove him from the house.
Not everyone assumes that a moment or two of bad behavior leads to the need for the police to physically remove someone. I have been VERY tolerant of some people who simply needed a little slack and understanding before they'd play right, but if someone gets to the point where I tell them it's time for them to go and they don't want to leave my house, then it's time I pull my gun out, turn the laser pointer on, flash it past his eye so he sees it, and then point the dot at his chest and say "Florida law allows me to shoot you if you don't leave." And then pull the hammer back.

Thankfully I've never actually had to do anything remotely like that. Most people who don't want to play in the same spirit as we do figure out that they're not having fun and simply don't show up any more. I've never had to uninvite someone, but have had bad people realize they weren't having fun with my style and leave. (Which is weird, because I'm pretty permissive, but also a team player.)
Old September 9th, 2017, 03:48 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDS View Post
... but if someone gets to the point where I tell them it's time for them to go and they don't want to leave my house, then it's time I pull my gun out, turn the laser pointer on, flash it past his eye so he sees it, and then point the dot at his chest and say "Florida law allows me to shoot you if you don't leave." And then pull the hammer back....
"Bu, bu, bu .... I was just wondering what DMs you used on the reaction table."

Seriously, you're not serious, are you?
Old September 9th, 2017, 05:34 PM

Supplement Four Citizen+Supplement Four Citizen+Supplement Four Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
We've all had this experience at one time or another, and of various magnitudes. How do you deal with a player who is either gaming his fellow RPers or invoking rules that go against house rules, or just otherwise being disruptive in some way shape or form.

And by disruptive I don't mean said player is rowdy as such, but just not really playing in the same spirit as the rest of the group.

What solutions have you tried?
Minimize him.

You control the spotlight. You control the situations that the characters fall into.

Don't say anything negative. Just keep quiet. When he talks, don't react. If he asks about a rule that goes against a house rule, then just say, "I don't know. Try it and find out what happens."

Then play your game. He'll get the message that if he plays well with others, the spotlight comes to him as often as it comes to the others.

If he acts out of turn, tell him to wait his turn (and take your time getting to him).

If he tries to influence others, stop him and say, "Let Jim play his own game. You play yours. Jim's character wouldn't know that anyway."

Sometimes, insisting on more roleplaying helps. Some players learn to be combative with comments made outside of the game but play their characters OK inside the game. Tie the two together, and let his character pay the consequences with NPC reactions to him.

In short, use the game to control him and teach him. Just do it. Never say anything about it, and look in wonder at him if he brings it up. He'll learn.

Don't lose sight of the fact that you're the gamemaster, and you control the game.
Old September 11th, 2017, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
"Bu, bu, bu .... I was just wondering what DMs you used on the reaction table."

Seriously, you're not serious, are you?
Castle doctrine is a real thing, and some people do adhere to it.

In case you're unaware, the Castle Doctrine is that a person has the right to use lethal force to defend their home from any crime.

Not all states have it. But many states do. And many residents of said states will not hesitate to use it.

And that's plenty enough on the subject outside the pit.
That said, if further discussion on Castle Doctrine is wanted, take it to the political pulpit.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old September 15th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

AsenRG Citizen

Quote:
We've all had this experience at one time or another, and of various magnitudes. How do you deal with a player who is either gaming his fellow RPers or invoking rules that go against house rules, or just otherwise being disruptive in some way shape or form.

And by disruptive I don't mean said player is rowdy as such, but just not really playing in the same spirit as the rest of the group.

What solutions have you tried?
I ask him to remain after the group, or use an occasion when he came earlier than everyone else, and we have a talk just between the two of us.
Or I just stop inviting him. Depends on how much energy I've got to spare.
“Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain’t you. You’re better than that!” – Rocky Balboa
Old September 17th, 2017, 06:54 PM

Keklas Rekobah Citizen

Problem Players?

Give them what they want.

In fact, give them EXACTLY what they want, which is usually attention.

"Okay, you wake up inside a featureless, white cube with no memory of how you got there. You are wearing a pocket-less Spandex™ onesie, ballet slippers, and nothing else. The air is breathable, and the gravity seems to be about 9.8 metres per second per second. Suddenly, you hear a pleasant female voice emanating from every direction, saying 'Welcome. You have been randomly selected to participate in a survey. You have exactly five of your minutes to explain why you should not be exterminated. Each question you ask will subtract 15 seconds from the remainder of your time. If you have reached the end of your time without successfully defending yourself, your existence will be painlessly and irrevocably terminated. Please be truthful and concise. Your time begins ... NOW.'"

Pull out a stopwatch or other time-piece that measures seconds. Keep track of the penalty times. At the end of the five minutes (or less), take the player's character sheet and run it through a paper shredder. Tell the player that he or she can roll up another character at the next session.

Repeat as needed.

I have had to resort to this only once; but it worked very well. Answering every one of the player's questions in the most evasive manner is recommended . . .

Q: "Where am I?"
A: "In the survey chamber."

Q: "Where is the survey chamber?"
A: "It is all around you."

Q: "How did I get here?"
A: "Please define 'here'."

Q: "Who are you?"
A: "I am Me."

Q: "What is your name?"
A: "Me."

Q: "How much time do I have left?"
A: "Less than when you started."

Q: "Is this for real?"
A: "As real as you are."

Q: "How do I get out?"
A: "Successfully defend your existence."

Q: "Why me?"
A: "You were chosen at random."

(At this point, the player has used up 135 seconds out of 300 ...)