Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old April 11th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Zowy Citizen

A standard square grid scale of 1.5m x 1.5m x 3m is only 1/2 a dTon.

You need 2 floor squares to make 1 dTon.

So a 100 dTon ship has 200 grid squares, at the standard 3m height when useing the 1.5m square grid scale.
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharum1 View Post
So you don't like my work?
I like the stuff that is less fantasy-looking and more realistic-looking, like the Cops piece, the Bodyguard piece, and the Desert March piece.

All of your stuff seems to have this space-opera bent to it (wild tatoos, leather outfits, over-sized weapons, etc). I'd like to see you do some more "realistic" looking stuff sans the high-fantasy atmosphere.

One of the reasons I like the X-Boat stuff so much is that it is realistic looking.
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:31 PM

casquilho Citizen
Unhappy

So... If what I am reading here is true, does that mean the deck plans in the MGT will all be too small/wrong?

Daniel
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:34 PM

tbeard1999 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
And, I've seen your work in the past. Your 3-D models are breath-taking.

What we're getting in the MGT book looks like it could have been copied out of an old GDW or Judges Guild book from the 70's.
I don't mind the spartan-but-functional look of CT deckplans. That said, I've bought some gorgeous deckplans on RPGNow that look good to the players (though they are sometimes less functional and more ambiguous).
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:35 PM

Gallowglacht Citizen

2mX2mX3.5m will give you 1 square a dton. You could look at the maps that way....
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:41 PM

tbeard1999 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by casquilho View Post
So... If what I am reading here is true, does that mean the deck plans in the MGT will all be too small/wrong?

Daniel
Too small, at least in the case of the Scout/Courier. I hope that this mistake was limited to one set of deckplans.

Can't precisely say how much it's too small because the two Scout ship design sequences are contradictory on power plant fuel required. Also, I did overlook the fact that the Seeker carries ten weeks power fuel rather than the normal four weeks. So the Seeker's non-fuel tonnage would be either 60 tons (~120 squares) or 70 tons (~140 square).

The deckplans have about 80 squares.

Ironically, this makes the MGT deckplans *oversized* by as much as 33% given Kharum's claim that he was using 1 square=1 dton.

Of course, I'd prefer oversized deckplans if using a grid based tactical combat system.

Last edited by tbeard1999; April 11th, 2008 at 03:08 PM..
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:45 PM

tbeard1999 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallowglacht View Post
2mX2mX3.5m will give you 1 square a dton. You could look at the maps that way....
Or Mongoose could just admit the mistake and correct it as soon as practicable. If the book's already been printed (or past the point that the plates can be economically corrected), then a downloadable PDF would be a reasonable accomodation. (That would also be a good time to make the outlines more consistent with the iconic Type-S Scout/Courier.)

Changing the grid scale will make the deckplans inconsistent with the combat system and most other Traveller deckplans.

If it's a problem with all the deckplans, them the worst thing Mongoose could do, IMHO, is to pretend that there was no mistake by playing games with the baseline assumptions. It would be blatant lie that could be easily shown as such. (Admissions from the drafters of the deckplans that the squares are 1.5m x 1.5m x 3, for instance). I don't think that customers much like being lied to. But I do think that most folks would be satisfied with a mistake being admitted to, then corrected as soon as practicable.

In my experience, efforts to avoid admitting mistakes create *far* more problems than simply correcting the mistake.

Last edited by tbeard1999; April 11th, 2008 at 01:53 PM..
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Gallowglacht Citizen

That was meant for casquilho. A quick easy fix for him/her maybe, like the old one you use for the scout. Might be enough for casquilho.
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Echo has disabled reputation

I am always curious about the definition of a d-ton (or displacement ton), being connected to the volume of a mass (ton) of liquid hydrogen. I mean, at what specific temperature or pressure is it referring to?
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:18 PM

Zowy Citizen

Looking at the new deckplan, it seems that the fuel purifier and Air/Raft hold is to small, the cargo bay to big. Allso Engineering would need oversized headroom or be a bit small.

Most of the 5 tons of armor and a good part of the fuel, would be above and below the deckplan shown as buffers to the crew areas. That is where most of the missing dTon is.