Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old May 13th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-3

Gallery : 0
Kobold Curry Chef Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
It seems very like an updated and tweaked Classic.
I agree. I think that's why I'm so excited. No other mainstream edition of Traveller matched the elegance of CT for me, though CT of course did have its issues. Mongoose seems to have found the sweet spot in this edition. Furthermore, it's the most compellingly browsable and readable Traveller rulebook I've ever owned. I can't quite put my finger on why yet.
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen

Indeed. A very fair review...I hope that Marc will read it and take away the weaknesses that Traveller OGL has wrought and make those improvements into T5. In turn, I hope that Mongoose has committed itself to a revised game, say a Deluxe version a few years down the road (after all the playtesting has created a better product) and taken the criticisms to heart. It is also my hope that they have planned a 3I supplement just for the very reason that so many are getting lost in all the myriad of rules and vagrancies of canon...just leaving Marc to pronounce upon is not simply good enough.

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-1

Croyd Citizen
Thumbs up Concise and playable

Having cut my rpg'ing teeth on classic Traveller and being turned off by rules systems that get too granular, I have to say I like Mongoose's release. It's concise, to the point and easy enough to get into quickly. I never was much into the roll-up-a-character thing and prefer the point-based system, especially when I already have a concept of who the character is and need to model him/her to fit the rules. As for the ship mortgage and other financial details, it's really up to the GM and players how much that appears in their adventures. It's a nice stick (or carrot, I suppose) for the GM to use on the players from time to time, but to deal with it session after session...nah.

I agree with the review about the lack of background material and would like to see a campaign setting supplement, though that may be where the Spinward Marches supplement comes into play.

Croyd
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croyd View Post

I agree with the review about the lack of background material and would like to see a campaign setting supplement, though that may be where the Spinward Marches supplement comes into play.
MGT was relatively setting-light in order to be a platform for many settings; they could squeeze in enough basic stuff to cover their bases, that way, I think.

Spinward Marches is quite a thorough setting resource, I think.
Tools Link
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Rhialto the Marvelous Citizen

Style: 2?

By rpg.net review standards that's just a notch above eye-bleedingly hideous.