Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old April 18th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Lord Iron Wolf Citizen
Lightbulb

Asking for Some Experiences & Ideas,

I've had an idea percolating in my head for a few days. It is to have a night at the local game shop where a game-no longer in print-is showcased and ran for the newer gamers. (or the grognards depending on who shows up ) The basic idea is to pull some returning gamers in to the shop and possibly show some "kids" what was special about the classic games. Most of the games are known only by reputation.

I believe I have a shot at doing this at a local game shop where the owner is a friend I know from college. I will also have to convince him and his wife it will show more profit for the shop.

So my questions are these:

Traveller, how do you introduce it to a new group of players who have probably only heard rumors of the murderous generation system.

What other type of game systems would show some variance of Good old games. My list would include:

Post Apocalyptic-Gamma World/?
Spy-007/?
Fantasy-White Box D&D or 1st Edition/RuneQuest/?
Horror-Call of Cthulu/?
Super Heros-?/?
Victorian-Space 1889/?
Science Fiction-Traveller/Star Frontiers/?
Any Others-???

Any insights to introducing d20 players to Classic Traveller would be appreciated and any other suggestions for the list above would be welcome too.

(Also sources to find some PDF versions of these rules would help.)

Thanks in Advance,
Lord Iron Wolf
Old April 18th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Lord Iron Wolf Citizen
Lightbulb

Asking for Some Experiences & Ideas,

I've had an idea percolating in my head for a few days. It is to have a night at the local game shop where a game-no longer in print-is showcased and ran for the newer gamers. (or the grognards depending on who shows up ) The basic idea is to pull some returning gamers in to the shop and possibly show some "kids" what was special about the classic games. Most of the games are known only by reputation.

I believe I have a shot at doing this at a local game shop where the owner is a friend I know from college. I will also have to convince him and his wife it will show more profit for the shop.

So my questions are these:

Traveller, how do you introduce it to a new group of players who have probably only heard rumors of the murderous generation system.

What other type of game systems would show some variance of Good old games. My list would include:

Post Apocalyptic-Gamma World/?
Spy-007/?
Fantasy-White Box D&D or 1st Edition/RuneQuest/?
Horror-Call of Cthulu/?
Super Heros-?/?
Victorian-Space 1889/?
Science Fiction-Traveller/Star Frontiers/?
Any Others-???

Any insights to introducing d20 players to Classic Traveller would be appreciated and any other suggestions for the list above would be welcome too.

(Also sources to find some PDF versions of these rules would help.)

Thanks in Advance,
Lord Iron Wolf
Old April 18th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

clementk Citizen
Here are some suggestions as well as (as far as I know) legal means of obtaining them.

Fantasy - either Runequest* with some of the extra combot detail trimmed slightly (or just use Stormbringer*) or even Tunnels & Trolls (still in print I think from Flying Buffalo) or Melee/Wizard; if the players can handly more complex story based play Pendragon* if not I recomend Prince Valiant*, a wonderful all in one Arthurian book full of excellent artwork that turns up now and then in stores etc. ; it uses coin flips for the game mechanics but replacing them with dice is easy
Gangsters - Gangbusters or Call of Cthulhu* without the Mythos
Horror - Call of Cthulhu*
Science Fiction - CT (this site offers a handy CT books 1-3 reprint for sale), Star Frontiers (which is online), Star Wars d6 (WEG)
Spy - Top Secret (1st edition)
Super Heros[/B] - Marvel Super Heroes (it's online)
Victorian - Space 1889 was reprinted a few years back by Heliograph.com, they may have some copies left or there might be some left in the distributor chain / stores; you could also use the Gaslight book along with Call of Cthulhu*
Western - Boot Hill

svgames and rpgnow.com have pdf versions of a lot of the older TSR products (Boot Hill and Gangbusters, a lot of D&D/AD&D, can't remember if Top Secret is available or not) and some basic genre WEG d6 rules

As for finding Marvel Super Heroes and Star Frontiers google.com is your friend. Aside from the Chaosium derived rules (see * for those) the rest if not stated otherwise are oop and unavailable aside from online auctions or used stores, etc. .

Casey

* Call of Cthulhu, Pendragon, and Stormbringer are all in print still and are largely unchanged from their original publication; Runequest is OOP but the Avalon Hill 3rd edition should be easy enough to find still; the core game system that runs each of the Chaosium derived games is BRP which is online for free. Prince Valiant is like a trimmed down version of Pendragon with elegant mechcanics and presentation.

The reason I recomend BRP based rules aside from my personal like for them is that they are fast and easy to learn and play. If you like you could substitute a d20 for the d100 and divide by 5 (shudder I like my d100). Pendragon did exactly that. Some have compared D&D3E to Runequest and Gurps blended with AD&D. Also most are still in print.
Old April 18th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

clementk Citizen
Here are some suggestions as well as (as far as I know) legal means of obtaining them.

Fantasy - either Runequest* with some of the extra combot detail trimmed slightly (or just use Stormbringer*) or even Tunnels & Trolls (still in print I think from Flying Buffalo) or Melee/Wizard; if the players can handly more complex story based play Pendragon* if not I recomend Prince Valiant*, a wonderful all in one Arthurian book full of excellent artwork that turns up now and then in stores etc. ; it uses coin flips for the game mechanics but replacing them with dice is easy
Gangsters - Gangbusters or Call of Cthulhu* without the Mythos
Horror - Call of Cthulhu*
Science Fiction - CT (this site offers a handy CT books 1-3 reprint for sale), Star Frontiers (which is online), Star Wars d6 (WEG)
Spy - Top Secret (1st edition)
Super Heros[/B] - Marvel Super Heroes (it's online)
Victorian - Space 1889 was reprinted a few years back by Heliograph.com, they may have some copies left or there might be some left in the distributor chain / stores; you could also use the Gaslight book along with Call of Cthulhu*
Western - Boot Hill

svgames and rpgnow.com have pdf versions of a lot of the older TSR products (Boot Hill and Gangbusters, a lot of D&D/AD&D, can't remember if Top Secret is available or not) and some basic genre WEG d6 rules

As for finding Marvel Super Heroes and Star Frontiers google.com is your friend. Aside from the Chaosium derived rules (see * for those) the rest if not stated otherwise are oop and unavailable aside from online auctions or used stores, etc. .

Casey

* Call of Cthulhu, Pendragon, and Stormbringer are all in print still and are largely unchanged from their original publication; Runequest is OOP but the Avalon Hill 3rd edition should be easy enough to find still; the core game system that runs each of the Chaosium derived games is BRP which is online for free. Prince Valiant is like a trimmed down version of Pendragon with elegant mechcanics and presentation.

The reason I recomend BRP based rules aside from my personal like for them is that they are fast and easy to learn and play. If you like you could substitute a d20 for the d100 and divide by 5 (shudder I like my d100). Pendragon did exactly that. Some have compared D&D3E to Runequest and Gurps blended with AD&D. Also most are still in print.
Old April 18th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Peer of the Realm

The Hinterworlds Rambler Citizen
Gamma World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4C01hS2nI
Old April 18th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Peer of the Realm

The Hinterworlds Rambler Citizen
Gamma World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4C01hS2nI
Old April 18th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
Tunnels and Trolls is indeed still in print. As is Flying Buffalo's other offering (similar system): Mercenaries, Spies and Private Eyes. MSPE is near-modern to modern espionage, and could easily do westerns, too. The MSPE skills syystem makes a nearly seamless graft-on to T&T. (See my website for more on that... got kudos from KSA on that... but he's going a different route for T&T next ed)

Also fun, the "saturday Morning Cartoon" using SJG's Toon.

The old FASA Trek is a BRP-like system, too.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old April 18th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
Tunnels and Trolls is indeed still in print. As is Flying Buffalo's other offering (similar system): Mercenaries, Spies and Private Eyes. MSPE is near-modern to modern espionage, and could easily do westerns, too. The MSPE skills syystem makes a nearly seamless graft-on to T&T. (See my website for more on that... got kudos from KSA on that... but he's going a different route for T&T next ed)

Also fun, the "saturday Morning Cartoon" using SJG's Toon.

The old FASA Trek is a BRP-like system, too.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old April 18th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Post Apocalyptic - Aftermath
Spy - Top Secret
Fantasy - blue book D&D (or red book basic if that's available)
Horror - Call of Cthulu, there is no substitute
Super Heros-Golden Heros
Victorian - Space 1889/?
Science Fiction - Universe
Any Others - Daredevils, Time and Time Again
Old April 18th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Post Apocalyptic - Aftermath
Spy - Top Secret
Fantasy - blue book D&D (or red book basic if that's available)
Horror - Call of Cthulu, there is no substitute
Super Heros-Golden Heros
Victorian - Space 1889/?
Science Fiction - Universe
Any Others - Daredevils, Time and Time Again