Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old September 1st, 2007, 04:18 PM
Ancient - Absent Friend

Gallery : 18
Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen

The mechanic I have a minor issue with. -5 to +5 as a modifier on a 2d6 roll is too extreme, -3 to +3 would be more along the lines of what I would go with. And why go with Characteristic - 7 in the mechanic? This is going to be precalc'd anyway and not done during each roll. Why not simply add a Characteristic Modifier table and say 2D6 + Skill + Characteristic Modifier vs TN?

Beyond that, it's CT. Though I hope skills don't range 0-15 as I have seen suggested.

My main issues with the preview:

Death in character generation again????? For the love of God, why? That's a 'chestnut' that was ignored by most almost from the day CT was released. I wouldn't even add it as an option.

And the covers? Look I love the old Traveller LBBs, but those aren't going to draw the attention of people who aren't familiar with Traveller and looking for a SciFi system to play. I'd have gone with something more along the lines of our Traveller's Aide covers.

And they could have at least used the right font...
[b]Current Projects[/b][LIST][*][url=http://www.scifigaming.com]SciFi Gaming[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=129_7888]The SciFi20 Project[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96742]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96744]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle w/Screen[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]
Old September 1st, 2007, 04:39 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit Gruffty's Blog
Gruffty Citizen
Unhappy Off to a good start, then, eh?

In the current edition of S&P "the Editor" (whoever that is) gets things off to a good start by saying that the mock-up cover images of the MongTrav books are on p. 8 of this issue of S&P.........
when, in fact, they're on p. 13 .........

This does not bode well, IMO, given the poor quality of some of the Runequest stuff they've produced.......

Anyway, I wait to be im*/de*-pressed (*: delete as appropriate).
Old September 1st, 2007, 04:53 PM

Visit Gruffty's Blog
Gruffty Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter View Post
The mechanic I have a minor issue with. -5 to +5 as a modifier on a 2d6 roll is too extreme, -3 to +3 would be more along the lines of what I would go with.
Flux, it's called. And it can "flux" off, AFAIAC.
Quote:
And why go with Characteristic - 7 in the mechanic? This is going to be precalc'd anyway and not done during each roll. Why not simply add a Characteristic Modifier table and say 2D6 + Skill + Characteristic Modifier vs TN?
I agree. Why over complicate things? In CT, characters get the Advantageous Characteristic DM for various weapons (you know what I mean, a DM +1 for DEX 9+ when using a WibbleRifle... ). These tables even include negative DMs for poor characteristics as well. Simple, straight forward.
Quote:
Beyond that, it's CT.
But is it though? We can't really say that until we've seen some rough concepts, at least.
Quote:
Though I hope skills don't range 0-15 as I have seen suggested.
By Jove, I hope not, too. A +15 DM on a throw is over the line into Munchkin-gaming.
Quote:
Death in character generation again????? For the love of God, why?
Cos it's Traveller, that's why. And the starship computers will be flux-ing *HUGE* too
Quote:
That's a 'chestnut' that was ignored by most almost from the day CT was released. I wouldn't even add it as an option.
I dunno why they'd keep it in, other than because "it's Traveller".
Quote:
And the covers? Look I love the old Traveller LBBs, but those aren't going to draw the attention of people who aren't familiar with Traveller and looking for a SciFi system to play.
Ditto. LBBs were way-kewl in the day, but not now.
Quote:
I'd have gone with something more along the lines of our Traveller's Aide covers.
I agree again.
Quote:
And they could have at least used the right font...
Yeah, and what's with the little pointy-bee-sting-thingy on the end of the line? I know they're only draft mock-ups, but hey. Ominous, I tell ye, tis ominous.........
Old September 1st, 2007, 05:01 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Commander Drax Citizen

who else has seen the cover for 760 patrons, mmmm quality, not!

Julian Menderes to the people of Asimikigr 048-179

http://www.the-children-of-earth.org"
Old September 1st, 2007, 05:05 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 5
Tobias Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruffty View Post
Flux, it's called. And it can "flux" off, AFAIAC
Well, the basic idea behind "Flux" systems, which generate a modifier with an average of 0, is usually to scale difficulties and skills in the same range. Feng Shui, with its 1d minus 1d system, did this to good effect.
But if you use 2d6, you can as well do a straight 2d6+stat+skill > TN. No sense in beating about the bush.
I would like to mention again (and again... and again...) mention my suggestion to scale characteristics at 1-5, same as skills.

Well, but in any case: There'll be an SRD of this, so I'll be able look at the core system and then decide whether to add RTT to my collection of Traveller rule systems or not. If not, maybe I can at least salvage some good supplements.
Old September 1st, 2007, 05:19 PM

Gallery : 1
Golan2072 Citizen+Golan2072 Citizen+

So far, it looks like a distilled version of CT with some of the most glaring flaws of CT (death at chargen) left inside and with a mediocre task system added for good measure. Until I see solid proof to the contrary of this, I'm sticking with the CT books I already have and the house-rules I've added to them.

The only good thing I see about MonT so far is that a Traveller system is going to become OGL - which is a great thing.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King
Old September 1st, 2007, 08:34 PM

Echo has disabled reputation

"Why not simply add a Characteristic Modifier table and say 2D6 + Skill + Characteristic Modifier vs TN?"

Beacuse it requires a secondary line of information on your character sheet, which in turn makes the actual Characteristic score redundant. Just because they do it in D20, doesn't make it right!

Like I say, my preference would be for the non-fixed Characteristic bonus:

2D6 + skill vs Difficulty Target Number (TN, from 1-15)
+1 if applicible Characteristic is over TN.
+2 if applicable Characteristic is double TN.

Try it. It really works!
Old September 1st, 2007, 08:41 PM
Ancient - Absent Friend

Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
"Why not simply add a Characteristic Modifier table and say 2D6 + Skill + Characteristic Modifier vs TN?"

Beacuse it requires a secondary line of information on your character sheet, which in turn makes the actual Characteristic score redundant. Just because they do it in D20, doesn't make it right!
Whereas always using Characteristic - 7 doesn't make the characteristic redundant???

This is going to be the first thing most people will do. Precalculate the value and write it next to the characteristic.

Quote:
Like I say, my preference would be for the non-fixed Characteristic bonus:

2D6 + skill vs Difficulty Target Number (TN, from 1-15)
+1 if applicible Characteristic is over TN.
+2 if applicable Characteristic is double TN.

Try it. It really works!
You'll almost never get a +2 bonus this method. And target number will run higher than 15 I can almost guarantee you even is skill ranks only range 0-5 and 0-15 as has been suggested.
[b]Current Projects[/b][LIST][*][url=http://www.scifigaming.com]SciFi Gaming[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=129_7888]The SciFi20 Project[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96742]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96744]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle w/Screen[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]
Old September 1st, 2007, 09:23 PM

Echo has disabled reputation

Characteristic -7 isn't what I'm arguing for.

On the system I'm proposing (see above), you get a +2 whenever your Characteristic score is double the difficulty TN.

Essentially, characters with high scores of 10, 11, 12 or more will tend to get +2 bonuses on low difficulty tasks, and +1 on most other tasks. Players with average or mediocre scores get less bonuses, as they should.

A +1/+2 range is the same type of deal that you got with MT's Char/5. It's just it scales more closely to the difficulty of the task itself.

Personally, I think that +1/+2 is the right type of Characteristic influence needed on a 2D6 based, skill-driven system. If a "professional" skill level influences a Task roll by 3, then the Characteristic influence should be less than 3.
Old September 1st, 2007, 09:32 PM
Ancient - Absent Friend

Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
Characteristic -7 isn't what I'm arguing for.
Umm yeah I quite realize that...

Quote:
On the system I'm proposing (see above), you get a +2 whenever your Characteristic score is double the difficulty TN.

Essentially, characters with high scores of 10, 11, 12 or more will tend to get +2 bonuses on low difficulty tasks, and +1 on most other tasks. Players with average or mediocre scores get less bonuses, as they should.
A +2 is something that won't be seen very often at all by any character considering that any task with a TN of 7+ will preclude even characters with a 12 from getting a +2 bonus on an average task roll.

It also doesn't have any penalty for those with penalize those with a very low characteristic score.

Quote:
A +1/+2 range is the same type of deal that you got with MT's Char/5. It's just it scales more closely to the difficulty of the task itself.
Had problems with that one to begin with.

Quote:
Personally, I think that +1/+2 is the right type of Characteristic influence needed on a 2D6 based, skill-driven system. If a "professional" skill level influences a Task roll by 3, then the Characteristic influence should be less than 3.
I don't really disagree, but the system as you have doesn't work well (IMO). It makes +2 bonuses extremely rare and poses no penalty for well below average characteristic scores.

Don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean I think the idea is no good. The +2 bonus issue I could resolve easily enough, but off the top of my head I'm not sure how you could account for very low scores with such a system.
[/LIST]