Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

atpollard, a Mark19 is slightly different from a Mk203 under-barrel grenade launcher. (Though it has some of the same limitations.) Of course, it's also under a different skill in my homebrew (Support Combat) than Rifle. Shooting a shotgun is different from a rifle is different from a BAR is different from a pistol is different from a laser weapon (of any kind).

Prospero, you're right: Sailing includes knot-tying. So does Survival. So does TL-3 Engineering. Of course, lashing a watch tower together might entail different knots from a TL-9 sailboat...
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:40 PM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
atpollard, a Mark19 is slightly different from a Mk203 under-barrel grenade launcher. (Though it has some of the same limitations.) Of course, it's also under a different skill in my homebrew (Support Combat) than Rifle. Shooting a shotgun is different from a rifle is different from a BAR is different from a pistol is different from a laser weapon (of any kind).
With all due respect, how different can shooting shotgun be from shooting a bolt action rifle be from shooting a semi-automatic rifle from shooting a laser rifle? You point the weapon, aim with the sight, and pull the trigger without shifting your aim. It might take an hour to get a feel for the new sights and familiarity with the safety and action, but I cannot believe that after mastering one of the weapons, it would require years of practice to learn to use one of the others.

(Pistols/revolvers and fully automatic weapons are fired different from rifles/shotguns - I grant that point.)

The consequence of micro-managing skills such that a Colt 1911 Autopistol requires a distinct skill from a Walther PPK Body Pistol, is that characters will need to learn 'a skill a month' from a ponderous number of narrowly defined skills. That is closer to the D20 game mechanic with all of the skills and feats than the CT/MT game mechanic. Some people like that level of precision, but I just find it tedious.

Last edited by atpollard; August 22nd, 2007 at 11:47 PM..
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:23 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
With all due respect, how different can shooting shotgun be from shooting a bolt action rifle be from shooting a semi-automatic rifle from shooting a laser rifle? You point the weapon, aim with the sight, and pull the trigger without shifting your aim. It might take an hour to get a feel for the new sights and familiarity with the safety and action, but I cannot believe that after mastering one of the weapons, it would require years of practice to learn to use one of the others.

(Pistols/revolvers and fully automatic weapons are fired different from rifles/shotguns - I grant that point.)

The consequence of micro-managing skills such that a Colt 1911 Autopistol requires a distinct skill from a Walther PPK Body Pistol, is that characters will need to learn 'a skill a month' from a ponderous number of narrowly defined skills. That is closer to the D20 game mechanic with all of the skills and feats than the CT/MT game mechanic. Some people like that level of precision, but I just find it tedious.

Perhaps more importantly than micromanagement is how micromanagement is managed, so to speak. Task mechanics certainly don't care how 'micro' a skill is, but every player does. So skill receipts ought to be general enough, yet allow specialization where it makes sense?
Tools Link
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Takei Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
Perhaps more importantly than micromanagement is how micromanagement is managed, so to speak. Task mechanics certainly don't care how 'micro' a skill is, but every player does. So skill receipts ought to be general enough, yet allow specialization where it makes sense?
And that's the tricky part; one player's idea of just right is another's far too detailed.

I used to like the idea of lasers being a seperate skill but am now wondering how long it would take a skilled rifleman to adjust to using a laser rifle instead of an assault rifle? Probably not long enough to justify a seperate skill.

How about firing bursts or full-auto from an assault rifle? Would it take the rifleman long enough to adjust to those modes of fire to justify a seperate skill? I'm starting to believe not.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:03 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 5
Tobias Citizen

I'd say ~50 skills would be a good selection. As for the level of detail, here's an example as to how I'd divide up personal combat skills:
Handgun
Rifleman
Heavy Weapons
Brawling
Fencing
Throwing
Archery

We should also have free-to-define "Profession", "Hobby" and "Science" skills. No use in trying to cover every possible scientific field or occupation in the skill list...

Last edited by Tobias; August 23rd, 2007 at 01:06 PM..
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:05 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Quote:
Well, I will disagree with the shotgun v rifle bit. They are different techniques. But, of course, any argument over the granularity of these skills discounts the concept of similar skills. It has always been the case that similar skills grant some ability cross-skill.

Quote:
The consequence of micro-managing skills such that a Colt 1911 Autopistol requires a distinct skill from a Walther PPK Body Pistol,
I have always thought that was dumb.
Old August 24th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Having fired both the PPK and the 1911, and the CZ50... each is a different beast. Not enough to justify any more than a -1, and that only until one's put a few dozen rounds through it.

I can't see it that detailed, but I can see having a specialization per level, which grants a very narrow specialization on Pistol.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Ron Citizen

Perhaps my opinion is minority here but I always viewed Traveller as a simple rules set with endless possibilities. I would go for 25 skills, as I think is better to be wrong being too simple than it is to be wrong being too complex.

P.S.: Always ruled science or any knowledge based area as been indexed by EDU. Far easy to go and less skills to be taken care.

Last edited by Ron; August 29th, 2007 at 09:30 PM..
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Absent Friends Margrave

Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Perhaps my opinion is minority here but I always viewed Traveller as a simple rules set with endless possibilities. I would go for 25 skills, as I think is better to be wrong being too simple than it is to be wrong being too complex.

P.S.: Always ruled science or any knowledge based area as been indexed by EDU. Far easy to go and less skills to be taken care.
Agreed. The beauty if the CT system I have always found is that the rules are very open to interpretation and not bound to "the letter of the rule (skill) and not the intent of the rule (skill)". If we have a very large skill set available then the general feeling by players will be that they cannot even attempt an action for which they don't have the exact skill. This is not what I want of my players. I want them to know that the skills are bonuses to accomplish something, not a barrier to them trying.

After all, how many of you out there at one point had no experience or skill at changing your car tire, but managed to do it anyway. Or never shot a gun before, but did it anyway, or ...

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old September 1st, 2007, 01:48 AM
Pickles

Gallery :

Skill lists, like Japanese gardens, are complete when there is nothing more which can be taken away ...