Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old August 18th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+
Default RTT like AD&D 2Ed?

The threads by Echo seem to me to indicate that RTT will follow the pattern established by TSR... a few large books that have simplified versions of everything (too simple to be playable), and lots of supplements that expand on the same classes and design rules (enough to make them playable), as well as add new stuff.

This to force people to buy everything, not just some.

What would be best would be for the core rules to have:
1. COMPLETE (advanced) chargen for the 6 basic careers (the supplements would each add 6 complete careers),
2. sufficient details on the "major species" to play them (the supplements would add species and describe the "empires" of the 6 "majors"),
3. a good ship/vehicle design system that uses pre-fabbed modules (which will be broken down into their component subsystems in the "advanced ship design supplement"),
4. a basic equipment/weapons list (with more in the supp),
5. and a decent personal/ship combat system (again, simple but directly expandable for the supplement).

This is, however, unlikely from the tone of things. Expect the "core book" to be either a skeleton upon which you MUST hang the supplements to get a playable game, or for the "core" rules to be superceded by the supplements, not enhanced by them.
Old August 18th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Echo has disabled reputation

Well, we know that there will be 11 (+2) Careers detailed in the core-rules, which should provide some decent choices for players. If they also have a mechanism that provides cultural background options (and skills), and a choice of different types of college education, then there should be all the detail that you are looking for there.

I'm not sure there will be much detail on any of the alien races from the Imperium in the core-rule book. Don't forget that the core rules themselves will be designed to be generic, not directly tied to the Imperium setting. This was, in fact, how it was done in the original classic books anyway - the alien stuff came in later sourcebooks. Whilst there may be some info/options about playing aliens in the core-rules, I think the default option (as it always has been) will be that the characters are human.

I'm not sure how the ship design system will work, but we have been informed that the core-rules will have more of a customising type of deal to start with (unless this has changed). The full design-from-scratch will probably come in a later sourcebook, I'd suggest.

I'm sure that there will be a decent equipment/weapons list and personal/ship combat system detailed in the core-rulebook.

The way to look at it is that the core-rules should include everything you need to run any generic sci-fi universe, particularly involving starships and star-mapping. The setting stuff will come later.
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Stainless Citizen

The core 2nd ed AD&D books were "too simple to be playable"? That's news to me.

I've never understood the obsession with ship design. Personally I've never designed a ship and feel no need to do so. If there's a good sampling of ships in the equipment list (and supplied through supplements) I'm fine, so I see no place for them in the core rules (i.e., my personal opinion of course).
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:32 PM

Ron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
Well, we know that there will be 11 (+2) Careers detailed in the core-rules, which should provide some decent choices for players. If they also have a mechanism that provides cultural background options (and skills), and a choice of different types of college education, then there should be all the detail that you are looking for there.
[...]
So, we will have pre-career choices but not advanced careers? Great! That is exactly the way I like it.
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Any core traveller without ship gen loses credibility.

Most sci-fi games need an underlying framework. Exposing that framework in the core is a useful tool for refs.

In a space opera (the genre, not the game) game, it provides the basic knowledge of the relative cost assumptions for ships and shipping. It also provides the needed costs for replacing destroyed systems, and a basis for costs of repairs. It further shows the potential for upgrades. All important for the typical space-opera merchant or merc game.

THat was the beauty of both Traveller and Space Opera (the game, not the genre, this time) is that (except for TNE), you had all you needed in the core to build custom universes: Characters, Ships, and Worlds.

It was also a failing in d6 Star Wars (by WEG). Since there was no design protocol for the setting, and the ships ratings were convertible, it instead had modification rules, to cover much the same details...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 30th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Gallery : 2
Visit Jeff M. Hopper's Blog
Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Any core traveller without ship gen loses credibility.

Most sci-fi games need an underlying framework. Exposing that framework in the core is a useful tool for refs.

In a space opera (the genre, not the game) game, it provides the basic knowledge of the relative cost assumptions for ships and shipping. It also provides the needed costs for replacing destroyed systems, and a basis for costs of repairs. It further shows the potential for upgrades. All important for the typical space-opera merchant or merc game.

THat was the beauty of both Traveller and Space Opera (the game, not the genre, this time) is that (except for TNE), you had all you needed in the core to build custom universes: Characters, Ships, and Worlds.

It was also a failing in d6 Star Wars (by WEG). Since there was no design protocol for the setting, and the ships ratings were convertible, it instead had modification rules, to cover much the same details...
I have to agree with Aramis here. Ship design was one of the things that I found really attractive about Traveller as a game system and positively influenced my original purchase of the game.
TAS Member Corr 0213 Erlu B7C0626-9
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Absent Friends Margrave

Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

I also agree with Aramis. Without ship design, what would make a space opera (genre) game different than a fantasy (genre) game?

Taking out ship design would be like removing spells from D&D. Not a brilliant move by anyone's account.

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Visit Flynn's Blog
Flynn Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Flynn

Does anyone know of a thread somewhere that contains all the RTT tidbits that have been confirmed to date? I've seen similar threads for 4E on other boards, but haven't spotted one yet for Traveller. Echo?

Thanks in advance,
Flynn
Old August 30th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Berg Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
Does anyone know of a thread somewhere that contains all the RTT tidbits that have been confirmed to date? I've seen similar threads for 4E on other boards, but haven't spotted one yet for Traveller. Echo?....Thanks in advance
Yes, this would be most helpful
Old August 30th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 5
Tobias Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonman View Post
I also agree with Aramis. Without ship design, what would make a space opera (genre) game different than a fantasy (genre) game?
Another point: If there is to be a ship design system, it should be in the core rules (and as complete as possible).
Reason: Suppose a rule system without ship design rules at all. If there are a few sample ships, one could make up new ships by the same system that was used to make these samples - none at all.
But if there is a ship design system, and the sample ships are made using this system, you cannot make up new ships by the same system without it being printed in the main rules. You could theoretically make up ships on the fly like in the above case, but these would be invalidated by the actual system when it is later published.