Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old August 17th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Echo has disabled reputation

I'm not sure about that. To me a 'belter' is an exploratory spacefarer.

Barbarian and pirates, also, just seem too specific and non-careerish to me.

I dunno, I guess that I just don't want too much prolification of career templates.
Old August 17th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-3

AndrewR Citizen
Default Scout != Belter

To me, the difference between a Belter and a Scout is that Scouts not only explore new star systems, but new <i>planets</i> as well. Belters are miners, and while they often strike 'virgin' territories, they are there for the mineral wealth, not the scientific value. The problem with lumping them together is implying that a Belter can do the same job as a Scout, and vise-versa, and I disagree with that.

I'm rather hoping the RTT version allows for more cross-career characters. In previous versions of Traveller you rolled one careerpath, and if you wanted to switch careers you started playing the character at that point of transition. I think it'd be fun to roll a character that's already served in several careers.

Anyway, my two credits...
Old August 17th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

MT's Hard Times explains the role of the StarMerc... and the pirate career is really a decent enough representation of that role.

Marines and Army differ in their function in Traveller, as well as their organizational system. The US Marines vs US Army? Well, they keep getting more and more focussed on on-shore actions....

Belters are not scouts, nor are scouts belters, but some of each overlap... Scouts find stuff; Belters exploit stuff; IISS are Postal Service and Census, not truly "scouts."

Barbarians are an excellent "Pre-Ind Hunter-Gatherer" type. The skill set in Supp 4 makes it clear these guys are being trained and working on their homeworlds. (A PC of mine, "Chief Wazui", started the campaign by being rescued from a local predator by the "Sky People"... a group of Ne'er do wells in a type R...)

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 17th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
Are 'Barbarians' a career at all? Who's going to train them skills?
Granted Barbarians have very little in shipboard skills, but nothing says they can't have knowledge of water powered items, forging techniques, advanced hand to hand combat, muscle powered missile weapons, bardic skills, diplomacy, leadership, small unit (and some large unit) ground tactics, primitive artillery, some knowledge of ballistics and civil engineering (at a low tech level, of course), languages, carpentry, metalworking,...

Their teachers are the elders of their tribes. Just like how Earth's Mongols, Vandals, American Indian, Huns, and let's not forget the ancient tribe YOU are derived from. Barbarians, if they are to be a PC, need a chargen.

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old August 17th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

An underlying assumption of Classic Traveller is the existence of some form of mandatory service (the draft). If one desired to preserve that “feel” (particularly in light of the proposed Star Ship Troopers tie in), Character Generation might more properly entail three careers:
1. Pre-Enlistment Options – College, Belter (start at 16 IIRC), Flight School, etc.
2. Mandatory Service – Army, Navy, Scout, etc.
3. Post Service Career – Academic, Merchant, etc.
Obviously some characters would skip a step and others would remain in the service, but the option exists to leave the service and start a new career.

Or just drop the service/draft concept and “let the career templates proliferate”.
Old August 17th, 2007, 05:19 PM

I think that is almost how I see it, really.

Things like 'Belters' and 'Barbarians' aren't really career options - they are cultural backgrounds.

Maybe the chargen should include three tiers:

*Cultural Background (Pre-enlistment) - Noble, College*, Outback, Spacer, Urban.
*Service training (Not compulsary) - Army, Navy, Marine, Scout, Medic.
*Non-service careers (Not compulsary)- Merchants, Scholars, Entertainers, Agents, Engineers, Rogues.

* Variable types of college to choose from, including flight school, etc.

The trick is allowing characters to stay within just their 'cultural background' for skills progression should they want - players could choose to not follow any 'career path'. Instead, they can keep on collecting skills from their cultural background template if they want.

Last edited by Echo; August 17th, 2007 at 05:23 PM..
Old August 17th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 5
Tobias Citizen

Quote:
Things like 'Belters' and 'Barbarians' aren't really career options - they are cultural backgrounds.
No, I don't think so. Belter is a job. You mine asteroids for valuable stuff. You don't need to hail from an asteroid belt to do so and on the other side, most people from asteroid belts aren't belters.
Barbarian is slightly different, because it's a really broadly defined field of "members of pre-industrial societes", but it's what you want to have to play a character who has so far had no contact to interstellar society.
Old August 17th, 2007, 05:51 PM

So really, Barbarian is a cultural background - with experiences developing skills in survival.

The 'Belters' thing still seems a little too specific - maybe 'Industrial' would be a better name for the career - it could incorporate 'Engineer' too.

Like I say, a lot of this could be handled by effectively extending 'Cultural Backgrounds' as 'career' options. On the same basis, if people can continually return to college to keep on picking up skills, then this negates the need for a 'Scholar/academic' career option also.

So, here's what I suggest:

Cultural backgrounds: College (Academic), Noble, Rural/Outlander (inc. Barbarians), Urban, Spacer.
Service Careers: Army, Navy, Marine, Scout, Medic.
Non-Service Careers: Merchant, Agent, Industrial, Entertainer, Rogue.

Like I say, players could choose to progress through all three options, but they could just stick with one tier if they want to. They might never move beyond their 'cultural background' status, but just collect their skills as farmers, or scholars or what-not as they wish instead.
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonman View Post
Granted Barbarians have very little in shipboard skills, but nothing says they can't have knowledge of water powered items, forging techniques, advanced hand to hand combat, muscle powered missile weapons, bardic skills, diplomacy, leadership, small unit (and some large unit) ground tactics, primitive artillery, some knowledge of ballistics and civil engineering (at a low tech level, of course), languages, carpentry, metalworking,...
Don't forget that Barbarians are not necessarily cavemen. Any TL below about 4 could be considered "Barbarian" (see John Carter of Mars ).
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:18 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation
Talking At last!

Quote:
Loads and loads of desires from Echo
Have you been looking at my draft chargen, Echo? If not, please do. It includes backgrounds similar to what you are saying, and combines several of the possible careers - before breaking them out by specialty. I haven't finished with numbers yet, but I'm getting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
A general "Worker" or "Citizen" career would be nice, even if only to create NPCs. Similar to the "Prole" career in AM4.
See above (especially the "Citizen" career).