Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old August 6th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 5
Tobias Citizen
Default What does this mean for BITS?

And also, for other licencees putting out supplemental material? Will it be possible to produce stuff like FASA and DGP did, back in the day, under the "Traveller logo licence"? Or is this new deal basically killing any tie-in materials as soon as the current licences run out?
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome
Default All Of This Is Just My Opinion

** All of this is just my opinion, I speak for no one but me. **

My best guess would be that everyone involved wants Traveller to grow and prosper. The best way to achieve that is to welcome all the Traveller material anyone wants to produce. In the end, it sounds like people wanting a new Traveller license or to renew an expired license will need to go through Mongoose instead of Marc.

Anyone wanting a license to continue The New Era may have problems getting a license since the goal appears to be to use Mongoose and T5 to create a new and improved version of Classic Traveller to replace CT, MT, TNE and T4. Bits will probably be warmly welcomed.

[As an aside, it seems inconceivable that Mongoose would not want to continue Traveller representations in such popular systems as T20/D20 or Hero (GURPS is already guaranteed a continued presence) if for no other reason than to expand the market for Mongoose published "Adventures", "Atlases" and other Traveller goodies.]

Old August 6th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Allensh Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Allensh Send a message via AIM to Allensh

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post

My best guess would be that everyone involved wants Traveller to grow and prosper. The best way to achieve that is to welcome all the Traveller material anyone wants to produce. In the end, it sounds like people wanting a new Traveller license or to renew an expired license will need to go through Mongoose instead of Marc.

Anyone wanting a license to continue The New Era may have problems getting a license since the goal appears to be to use Mongoose and T5 to create a new and improved version of Classic Traveller to replace CT, MT, TNE and T4. Bits will probably be warmly welcomed.

[As an aside, it seems inconceivable that Mongoose would not want to continue Traveller representations in such popular systems as T20/D20 or Hero (GURPS is already guaranteed a continued presence) if for no other reason than to expand the market for Mongoose published "Adventures", "Atlases" and other Traveller goodies.]

The Avenger 1248 material was pretty much system-free, so I don't see why it couldn't continue under a Mongoose license. They going back to base the system on CT, not trashing large sections of the OTU history.

Allen
Old August 6th, 2007, 06:19 PM

daryen Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allensh View Post
The Avenger 1248 material was pretty much system-free, so I don't see why it couldn't continue under a Mongoose license. They going back to base the system on CT, not trashing large sections of the OTU history.
That is an assumption. We don't know that.

For all we know, Mongoose intends to stick with the 1105 timeframe and, if not de-canonize, at least not support material dealing with anything 1116 or later.

That is not to say they will do that, either. (I, of all people, certainly hope they do not do that!) My point is that either direction is possible, and we flat out don't know what they plan on doing. And we won't know until they come out and announce their plans.

Also, saying Avenger can just get a Mongoose license assumes that will be possible. Mongoose is going to have their own agenda and desires that will come into play. It may be more difficult to get a license from Mongoose than MWM; it may be easier; it may be the same. But we don't know until Mongoose starts providing information on what a "Mongoose Traveller license" is and means.
Old August 7th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
Anyone wanting a license to continue The New Era may have problems getting a license since the goal appears to be to use Mongoose and T5 to create a new and improved version of Classic Traveller to replace CT, MT, TNE and T4.
A small clarification, when I suggested that it might be hard to get “a license to continue The New Era”, I was referring to the game mechanics and not the official history or setting. I have absolutely no clue what Mongoose plans for the Imperium (but the fact that MJD has a working relationship with Mongoose, does not hurt the chances of the 1248 timeline surviving the Traveller transition to Mongoose).
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:34 PM

Anthony Citizen

Okay, this isn't as informative as having BITS post something, but since Ken Burnside is handling printing and distribution of Power Projection in the US, it's probably relevant. Taken from the adastragames forums:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Burnside
I just got off the phone with Marc Miller.

1) Mongoose was a bit...overzealous in their announcement. Only RPG licenses are going to automatically sunset under this new deal. Marc wants, in the end, for there to be only two Traveller RPG engines. His, and GURPS. This is not a guarantee that ours will be renewed in 2011 (sales will determine that), but it means that our project list for the next 2.5 years is safe.
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 5
Tobias Citizen

Thanks for relaying that, Anthony. This is good news.
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Baron

Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++

Related Question:

I was planning on buying a copy of Universe from BITS in a few weeks. Would this have any effect on it?
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:01 PM

Gallery : 1
Gadrin Citizen

Quote:
to be only two Traveller RPG engines. His, and GURPS
what's the overall perception of GURPS on the TML ?

Most plans don't even survive contact with reality.

Thanks, Gadrin
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Cyberwere Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadrin View Post
what's the overall perception of GURPS on the TML ?
I'm a fan. We convert everything to GURPS. Mostly 3ed. Just haven't got enought people to switch over to 4th ed yet, but we're working on it.