Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old September 1st, 2007, 11:31 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Yes, Bromgrev, I'm weeding out skills and combining into cascades others in my house chargen for just that reason. Its amazing how many skills you can dump (that might otherwise be marginally useful/playable) when you introduce a Mundane skill and an Esoteric skill.
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:49 PM
Pickles

Gallery :

There are many good things about GURPS, but their vast skill list has, IMHO, never been one of them. Too many skills invariably leads to players saying, "What? I don't have a skill for that. Let's just blast 'em!"

It's quite easy, especially with Traveller's generally low skill levels, to keep players from becoming superhuman even if your skill descriptions cover a lot of applications. I don't think my games have ever lost out from haing just one "Computer" skill, for example.
Old October 8th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 1
Merxiless Citizen

I've always been a fan of lengthy, descriptive skills lists, and subskills, even if the players won't ever use all of those skills...I use them for NPC's.

When ICE's Spacemaster came out, it was a godsend to me.

Looking at something like Unisystem, and subset of it Armageddon, Con X 2.0, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I can't stand a chearacter that has all sorts of generic skills, "Get medieval" for all hand to hand, or "Gun Fu" for all combat, for example.

With a system that has narrowly defined skills, I always provide NPCs for the story, to accomplish those things, with the PC in leadership positions.

I hope Mongoose does a good job. If not, I will always have my older editions, because in the end, it's more the story than the specific system, I think, unless the system itself does not lend credence to the specific background / setting.

Someone else here said it. "Base mechanics on play, and play on mechanics."

D6 SW was better for me than using Traveller to do Star Wars. And is still better than d20 Star Wars.

Classic and T4 work better for me, than 2300 did.

Obviously system itself is a very diverse discussion, because one guy's GURPS fondness for detail is another person's headache.

And I know people that still play and love Tunnels & Trolls.

Plusses for Mongoose: They certainly know how to do slick work. But something generic, to fit all Sci fi, I think has been done, with GURPS, D6, Alternity, and d20 Modern/Future.

And as far as that goes, from where i sit, GURPS traveller revitalized, and gave new energy to Traveller, as did T20, (though I don't play it).

Will this new enthusiasm for Traveller among the non-grogs convert over to Mongoose, riding the wave to shore?

My prediction is that it'll sell, but in the end, won't feel like "Traveller" to the old school as much as CT / MT. Reinventing itself, the way GURPS:Traveller more or less seemed to will be a good thing, for the new generation, but in the end, I think that the more dedicated CT grognards will seek out the grail from the font himself, Marc's T5, or keep playing CT, as they have everything for it, already.

Just some thoughts.