Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old August 6th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankowner View Post
In B5, Humanity was on the low side of the Technology. The White Star fleet that we saw most of the time was VERY high tech, a mixture of Minbari and Vorlon.

[...]

As for Travellerizing B5, make the PP NOT have to power the Jump Drive AND everything else. Then the PP is sized for Jump Drive OR fighting and you get the feel B5.
Yes, Earthforce is on the low end, with Narn a bit above it, Centauri a bit above them, Minbari a significant jump higher, and Vorlon a big jump farther than that.

I tried to estimate where they might be, but I'm not sure. I tentatively put Earthforce at TL10 or TL11, with Narn at E+1, Centauri at E+2, Minbari at E+5, and Vorlon at E+9 or E+10.

The tech levels don't seem to map very well.

A very good suggestion regarding the power plant. Makes me think the power plants are quite voluminous.
Tools Link
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Plankowner Citizen

It's the Artificial Gravity thing that Traveller assumes is everywhere but B5 gave only to the really advanced races that makes it really hard to map TL's.
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

daryen Citizen

Traveller has an insanely optimistic view of when contragravity will be introduced. Most other science fiction does not. That can create a problem, but doesn't actually have to. Nearly all of Traveller can work just fine if you assume contragravity doesn't exist.

However, most of this discussion about integrating B5 and Traveller has been rendered moot, since on the Mongoose boards they have already said that B5 will not be migrated from its D20 base. Only Starship Troopers is to be migrated to Traveller.
Old August 7th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Klaus Citizen

EA ships do use reaction drives - ion/particle thrusters, according to Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warlock_class_destroyer

The Whitestars in contrast have a gravitic drive.

Reactionless thrusters for human tech wouldn't have washed with Harlan Ellison, who as sci/tech advisor made the human stuff obey Newtonian physics with plausible technology. Handwavium was fine for the Vorlons or Minbari, but not humanity.

In fact, Starfuries would not behave as they do without reaction drives. Though Whitestars often showed the same propensity to 'strafe' sideways, the way they maneuvered was quite different.

BTW, has anyone seen the excreble mess that is B5: The Lost Tales? Few sets (just dark rooms), hardly any cast, long lists of characters who won't be appearing, the actual Devil ( utterly ridiculous), and, now, the invention of Quantum Space, as opposed to hyperspace. Total bollox. If you can't do something properly, then just don't bother.
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryen View Post
However, most of this discussion about integrating B5 and Traveller has been rendered moot...
Most, but not all. It's not on the map, but they might well do a couple of Traveller conversions of B5 stuff.
Tools Link
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:48 PM

Gallery : 4
PFVA63 Citizen
Default On the subject of Babylon 5

Hi,

Out of curiousity, I occassionally watched Babylon 5 when it was on, but I didn't follow it real closely, but above I notice someone mentioned that the Earth Alliance didn't have artificial gravity which reminded me of one episode I did see.

In it, at the end of the episode (I can't remember which one though), the second in command of the station walks into what looks like a control room and says something to the captain. As the captain looks out the viewport the camera pulls back through the view port to outside of the station. As it continues to pull back so that you can see the whole station and all the ships moving around, you notice that where the captain was standing was in the center of the ship (at the front of the axis that the station is spinning about) or in other words its not in the spinning part of the station, and hence you wouldn't expect that there would be gravity there or that the woman that walked in to see the captain would actually be walking.

So my question I guess is, was it supposed to be that the Earth Alliance had limited artifical gravity, but that it was so power intensive that it wasn't used everywhere, or was the scene just a screw up that the producer's point in because it looked cool but wasn't technically correct.

Regards

PF
Old August 10th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

IIRC, The station's AG was provided by the minbari for limited areas.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 10th, 2007, 09:38 PM

Plankowner Citizen

The control room was not at the exact center of the station. It was at the end of the station, but near the outer edge, so there would be AG due to rotation.

If you could be a bit more specific about the episode, I would be happy to take a look and see if I can figure it out.

JMS (the creator) was VERY careful to keep the technology right whenever possible. If we see a human in zero-gee (such as aboard the Hyperion is season 1) they are strapped down or the ship is under acceleration.

There is one scene in Season 3 I think where Delenn is explaining to Sheridan that the Minbari have had artificial gravity "for some time now" and Sheridan reacts with shock. Humans definitely did not have artificial gravity before their contact with the Shadows. Perhaps the Warlock Class Destroyers had it, but we never really saw them enough to know.
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:09 PM

Ptah Citizen

A little late to the thread but I've a fair amount of B5 fan material and, of course, seen every episode, even the ill-acted Crusader carry on. Earth tech was on the cusp of artificial gravity, the old ships didn't have it the new ones did, Crusader, Warlock to name the big ones.

On FTL, the fan material (official) and shows mention hyperdrives were big, i.e., it was surprising for a ship the size of the Whitestar class to have a hyperdrive.

It's hard to make comparisons to Traveller tech in there is a differnt assumed future tech and tech progressions. Different handwavium. Earth Force is a mix of TL 9 and what might be TL11. One Traveller-esq thing is the influnce of computers and TL on chance to hit, Earth Force could never get a targeting lock on a Mimari ship during the whole war.

The major incompatability with B5 and Traveller visions is the nature of FTL. In B5 communications could travel FTL, and faster than ships since ships (and beacons) can relay the signal through hyperspace. This fundamentally changes the nature of organization/basic assumptions. The speed of travel = speed of communication does a lot to define the nature of the Traveller setting. You can also attack and intercept ships in hyperspace, not so jump space. You can also hide in "folds" of hyperspace if you are really good or advanced.

I still welcome a system that can allow me to build both Traveller and B5 consistent ships, all I need is a little alternative universe connecting worm-hole to use both.