Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old March 11th, 2014, 04:32 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen
Default Launching a ship's boat

By MgT rules, how many combat rounds would it take to cold-start and launch a ship's boat?

Hans
Old March 11th, 2014, 04:49 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Thirty minutes, if I recall correctly. I don't think it's been clarified whether that's per ship or per launch facility.
Old March 11th, 2014, 11:01 AM

Jame Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
Thirty minutes, if I recall correctly. I don't think it's been clarified whether that's per ship or per launch facility.
I would say that it's per small craft, especially if each small craft has its own launch facility (which I would think that they would).
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old March 11th, 2014, 11:21 AM

Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++
Default So where do Lifeboats enter into this?

How long does it take to launch a lifeboat? Can they all launch at once or is it like CT2/HG2 and one per 10kdt or per launch facility?

I can see "Titanic in Space" even if you have plenty of boats.

Also, should a purely lifeboat be a special case?

:oo: “The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.” - George Orwell, Animal Farm :devil:

Lord Michael - Heretic
Baron Emape
Spinward Marches, Five Sisters, 0133 B564500-B
Old March 11th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Baron

Gallery : 86
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

I would imagine life boats would be as fast as possible. Probably even explosively removing any exterior hull, making the life boat launch not something you would want to do as an alternative to using a regular ships as you need to recover or get a new cover.

Or perhaps the life boats themselves are part of the hull - you get in, hit the big red escape button, and it just gets shoved out as it is just locked into the hull. Sort of like the experimental space suits that you basically walk into, zip up behind you, and you are already outside basically (and dang if I just can't find that link)
Old March 11th, 2014, 01:46 PM

Gallery : 111
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

Quote:
how many combat rounds would it take to cold-start and launch
that depends on what you mean by "launch".

if you mean start up the power plant, safety-check internal systems, verify airtight integrity of boat and main hull, coordinate with ship's engineering to decouple umbilicals, "please make sure your seats and trays are in an upright position", coordinate with flight control, and execute a controlled and legal launch, probably a while.

if you mean "HIT IT!" well then you're limited by how long it takes to get the power plant up and running and the outer airlock hatch (if any) open. imtu for a lifeboat that can be automated and can go from cold long-term shutdown to full power in twenty seconds - not counting the auto-eject which is a single button-push away.
Old March 11th, 2014, 02:22 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliver988 View Post
I would imagine life boats would be as fast as possible. Probably even explosively removing any exterior hull, making the life boat launch not something you would want to do as an alternative to using a regular ships as you need to recover or get a new cover.
I agree that lifeboats should have some way to be so launched in emergencies, something like an emergency launch button (akin of ejection button for a combat pilot), even with its PP not yet warmed and on line (relying on batteries in the meanwhile and putting it on line when outside the mother ship).

But this would only be for emergencies (abandoning the ship), while usual launching will be a more delicate and time consuming affair, as you also say.

As hinted above, the difference would be as a pilot leaving his plane with the eject button or leaving it once landed and by the usual way.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old March 11th, 2014, 03:10 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Rescue bubbles, if you're in a hurry.

Liners probably do have dedicated lifeboats, possibly with explosive bolts blowing off the hull plate. Speculate 105% hangar space.
Old March 11th, 2014, 06:24 PM

Gallery : 111
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

should anyone wish for some visualization my scout cruiser deckplan has a boat deck. link below.