Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old December 8th, 2019, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
Default Free League's ALIEN RPG

I've started two campaigns of the Alien RPG. It's the licensed RPG based upon the ALIEN franchise, most specifically, ALIEN, ALIENS, ALIENł, Alien: Resurrection, Prometheus, and Alien: Covenant. There are also a few carryforwards from the Leading Edge Games ALIENS RPG, mostly on the map.

It's very nice. Fria Ligan's game designs have a number of elements that imply "Traveller Influence" to me...

Several have attribute damage, rather than hit points. (Tales from the Loop, Mutant Year Zero, Forbidden Lands)
The "zones" are 25m each... just like how movement bands in CT were 25m
Skill Scale is 1 is employable, 5 is freaking amazing. The actual rangebands correspond to Traveller's nicely:
FL Zones:<1same zone1 away 2-4 away5-40 away
FL Range Name:EngagedShortMediumLongExtreme
FL Meters1-2<25<50<100<1000
CT Range Bands (TTB):0 bands01-23-1011-20
CT Ranges (TTB):CloseShortMediumLongVery Long
CT Range Meters(TTB):<11-56-5051-250251-500

The atts are Strength, Agility, Wits, and Empathy. Not traveller's six, but a nice mix. They are 1-5 human range, 2-4 undamaged PC range, with one allowed to be a 5.

Alien itself uses HP... max = Strength.

The thing is, when used judiciously, the dice mechanics of Alien freaking rock....

(Attribute + Skill + Tool + ease factor) d6 for success on ⚅ (called base dice)
(Stress level) d6 for success on ⚅, but any stress dice rolling ⚀ trigger a panic check...

THing is, if you don't succeed on first roll (no ⚅) or want more than one success, and no stress dice show ⚀, you may "push" your roll... increase your stress level by 1, add a stress die to the pool, and reroll any non-⚅ dice, being stuck with the reroll. (note: a ⚀ on stress dice in the reroll does still trigger a panic check.
Other than pushing, no retries allowed. Once you try, you either succeed (≥1×⚅), panic (≥1× Stress die ⚀; see table), or take some consequence for failing.

panic check: 1d6+(Stress level)...
1-6: you're fine
7-9: you panic after your action
10-15: you panic instead of your action
13-15: end of session, check for long term insanities.
16: No panic... catatonia.

Panic lasts until taken out of action by injuries, 10-20 minutes elapse, or someone makes a command skill roll to snap you out....

Taking 10-20 minutes resting in a safe place removes a stress level. A good night's sleep can remove them all...

Now, I also was thinking, it's easy to use their task mechanic with CT, MT, or MGT...
Att Dice = att/3 (round normal)
Skill dice = skill
Tool dice, non-weapon: if the object has a listed bonus, that many dice; if not, 1d.
Tool Dice, Weapon: use the bonus vs unarmored, halved. Use the damage dice, halved, as the base damage. Extra ⚅ may increase the damage by 1 each.
Difficulty dice are +3 (Frivial) to -3 (formidable).

It's an interesting blend of Trad and Storygame mechanics.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old December 13th, 2019, 10:53 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
jcrocker Citizen+jcrocker Citizen+

There were a couple of scenarios in Challenge magazine that could be easily tweaked for Alien.

"To Sleep Perchance to Scream" at the remote research station, facing a big psionic "not-Alien".

I don't remember the name of the other, the players find a ship adrift from the Rule of Man period, they'd found a dyson sphere and picked up a nasty Ancient artifact. Have to tweak the dyson sphere part.
Old December 22nd, 2019, 03:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Tiikeri Citizen

So, i got the Alien rpg book and returned it after a day.

Its very limited, and channels players into particular party roles. It reads like it was written for people whove never played an rpg before.

9 narrow character archetypes, one of which is 'kid'.
Each character gets 2 or 3 special abilities which affect game mechanics.
There are only 12 broad skills.
About 30 general special abilities which affect game mechanics.
Limited gear list.
Very game-y rules, like your character selects one Buddy and one Rival among the party and you get xp for helping your designated Buddy and challenging your designated Rival. And characters relieve Stress points by interacting with their designated 'significant object' The Officer character archetype has a special ability to Rally a Broken character, and so on. It seems the characters are designed to be playing pieces with different roles and special capabilities related to their roles instead of fleshed out full characters with the potential to go in any direction the player takes them.

The campaign generation tables had some good ideas, but didnt hold a candle to Travellers star system generation tables. Art was very good throughout. It was almost like a coffee table art book disguised as an alien rpg.

At least the Officer character archetype got 'ship's cat' as a 'significant object'.
Old December 23rd, 2019, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiikeri View Post
So, i got the Alien rpg book and returned it after a day.

Its very limited, and channels players into particular party roles. It reads like it was written for people whove never played an rpg before.

9 narrow character archetypes, one of which is 'kid'.
Each character gets 2 or 3 special abilities which affect game mechanics.
There are only 12 broad skills.
About 30 general special abilities which affect game mechanics.
Limited gear list.
Very game-y rules, like your character selects one Buddy and one Rival among the party and you get xp for helping your designated Buddy and challenging your designated Rival. And characters relieve Stress points by interacting with their designated 'significant object' The Officer character archetype has a special ability to Rally a Broken character, and so on. It seems the characters are designed to be playing pieces with different roles and special capabilities related to their roles instead of fleshed out full characters with the potential to go in any direction the player takes them.

The campaign generation tables had some good ideas, but didnt hold a candle to Travellers star system generation tables. Art was very good throughout. It was almost like a coffee table art book disguised as an alien rpg.

At least the Officer character archetype got 'ship's cat' as a 'significant object'.
It's clear you didnn't read the recovery rules correctly...
Significant object is once per session in campaign, once per act in cinematic.

Normal recovery is one point each health and stress per turn (5-10 minutes) resting in a _safe_ location.

Also, the mission tables are more akin to the patron tables, not the system gen. Which they handily dust.

THe system gen isn't as comprehensive as Traveller's, but is functional to the mainworld level.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old December 23rd, 2019, 12:00 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Tiikeri Citizen

I read the rules correctly, and my statement is correct. A character can reduce stress points by interacting with a significant object. It doesnt matter how much or how little, its one game-y rule among others that treats a character like a playing piece.