Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Imperial Encyclopedia Wiki > Wiki Discussion

Wiki Discussion Any questions, comments, suggestions, or other discussion of the Traveller Wiki should go here.

Old June 1st, 2018, 02:35 AM
Knight

Gallery : 0
Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

I think crown prince/princess is the eldest in line of succession. But yeah, king in all respects. Saudi Arabia still has a king and a crown prince, or so I last checked.
Old June 1st, 2018, 04:46 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

In the West European tradition.

Loyalty might be more important than ability and/or meritocracy, so you could seed satrapies with close friends and family.

You can marry off the Imperial progeny to foreign potentates, client states or powerful clans, which sort of removes the need to carve out chunks of the Empire to establish cadet houses.

As for heirs apparent, normally you want to ensure they are competent to rule: you could give them their own realm to govern, and if you have spares, see how well they do at warcraft, both for the experience and ensure the eventual loyalty of the military.
Old June 1st, 2018, 05:46 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

I know what you mean by Warcraft, but I can't help but visualize a 3I heir to the throne sitting at a keyboard and monitor in a major clickfest as he cranks out paladins to counter that orc rush.

Just the way I think.

But more seriously, I guess my real question, and fascination, is that sons and daughters (princes and princesses) have this blurry kind of unaddressed power (or lack thereof) without having any real power unless they're given some other title in addition to being the son or daughter of the monarch(s).

Like WHULorigan stated, Archduke and maybe Grand Duke or prince or prince equivalent titles, but that doesn't make either the child of the monarch. Oh well.
Old June 1st, 2018, 01:48 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
I know what you mean by Warcraft, but I can't help but visualize a 3I heir to the throne sitting at a keyboard and monitor in a major clickfest as he cranks out paladins to counter that orc rush.

Just the way I think.

But more seriously, I guess my real question, and fascination, is that sons and daughters (princes and princesses) have this blurry kind of unaddressed power (or lack thereof) without having any real power unless they're given some other title in addition to being the son or daughter of the monarch(s).

Like WHULorigan stated, Archduke and maybe Grand Duke or prince or prince equivalent titles, but that doesn't make either the child of the monarch. Oh well.
Well again, Rule of Men rather then Rule of Law.

Whatever the Emperor or whoever says has power, does.

Think of it less as a government and more being run like a family business.
Old June 1st, 2018, 01:59 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Ah hah.

Custom usually restrains power perquisites that aren't explicitly limited.

Elves are likely to rule by custom, permitting vague references where the limits to absolute power lie.

Men tend to get a written enforceable code.

Orcs rule through sheer presence; attached to a fist.
Old June 1st, 2018, 04:16 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

*nods*

Rule of man, which means if tradition holds, then the children of royalty (ideally), will respect the traditions. Historically that hasn't always been the case. I think China, Germany and Great Britain had royal offspring that were less than savory by mannered convention.
Old June 1st, 2018, 04:42 PM

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
*nods*

Rule of man, which means if tradition holds, then the children of royalty (ideally), will respect the traditions. Historically that hasn't always been the case. I think China, Germany and Great Britain had royal offspring that were less than savory by mannered convention.
You are forgetting Turkey in there, under the Sultans. And Egypt had more than a few problems with hereditary rulers as well, and I am thinking in recent times from 1850 or so to the overthrow of King Farouk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old June 1st, 2018, 06:19 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

Well, I guess in general, and to keep it Traveller, any son or daughter of the royal family has undefined power, and therefore is both potentially benign and otherwise valueless politically, but also potentially a liability of they cruise the Imperium and make demands.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 02:31 PM

Power by association, unless some government institute bestows imperium.