Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > 2300/2320AD > In My 2300 Universe

In My 2300 Universe Discussion of non-canon ideas for use in your 2300 Universe

Old January 7th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

My take on it is that the Ancients bio-engineered all transplanted races with advanced immune systems so diseases just didn't affect them.

This includes the bio-engineered humans left on earth.

Problem is the diseases of earth then get a couple of hundred thousand years to evolve strains that start affecting humans again. The humans of earth evolve immune systems that can cope, the Vilani just don't have this evolutionary advantage since they are encountering different pathogens.

Notice that in the Zho alien module it actually explains that the originally transplanted bio-engineered humans from earth evolved into two species until eventually a third hybrid became dominant.

The vilani must have undergone similar evolutionary changes - unless bio-engineered not to.
Old January 19th, 2016, 09:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

BwapTED Citizen

As an alternative:

Contact between the French ( or whomever makes sense) and the Vilani at Barnard's Star ( or wherever makes sense).

Developments as you like.

Interstellar Wars flare up.

And then the Plague or Duskir hits the Earthmen. After all, who are the isolated natives that lack previous exposure to multiple diseases carried by men on vessels from far away?
The Vilani have contacted numerous human races and visited many worlds.
They have likely been dealing with alien diseases for millennia.

So the Earthmen get hit by Denebian Pertussis or Antarean Fever or what have you.

The Vilani win the Interstellar Wars and occupy Earth along with several of its colonies.
The Vilani bureaucrats, backed by soldiers, stop the pandemics through a program of compulsory vaccination and other treatment. Mortality drops.

Some Earthmen emigrate to the independent colonies. Many accept the new regime.
Others make their way out to the alien stars, exploring, trading, and fighting.

The Vargr, Kafers, and others races may pose threats to the victorious Ziru Sirka.
Old January 19th, 2016, 10:47 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Murph Citizen

Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
As an alternative:

Contact between the French ( or whomever makes sense) and the Vilani at Barnard's Star ( or wherever makes sense).

Developments as you like.

Interstellar Wars flare up.

And then the Plague or Duskir hits the Earthmen. After all, who are the isolated natives that lack previous exposure to multiple diseases carried by men on vessels from far away?
The Vilani have contacted numerous human races and visited many worlds.
They have likely been dealing with alien diseases for millennia.

So the Earthmen get hit by Denebian Pertussis or Antarean Fever or what have you.

The Vilani win the Interstellar Wars and occupy Earth along with several of its colonies.
The Vilani bureaucrats, backed by soldiers, stop the pandemics through a program of compulsory vaccination and other treatment. Mortality drops.

Some Earthmen emigrate to the independent colonies. Many accept the new regime.
Others make their way out to the alien stars, exploring, trading, and fighting.

The Vargr, Kafers, and others races may pose threats to the victorious Ziru Sirka.
Old January 19th, 2016, 11:09 PM

BwapTED Citizen

In a 2300 vs Vilani scenario, I imagine gravitics would give the Vilani advantages until the Earthmen managed to obtain the tech by espionage or salvage and reverse engineering.
Old January 19th, 2016, 11:14 PM

BwapTED Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Interesting
I am glad you find it so.

Another thing to consider with a 2300 scenario: Earth has rival nation states instead of a global federation.

It seems possible that one of the Earth based star faring nations might try to remain neutral, or even make an alliance with the Ziru Sirka.

Forgive me if I have duplicated something already dealt with upthread.
Old January 31st, 2016, 06:26 PM

Murph Citizen

Hmm, the Vilani means that at some point WE become the Solomani....
Old February 21st, 2016, 12:18 PM

Murph Citizen

I suspect a little of each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
In a 2300 vs Vilani scenario, I imagine gravitics would give the Vilani advantages until the Earthmen managed to obtain the tech by espionage or salvage and reverse engineering.
Old February 21st, 2016, 12:27 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

In the years between the wars traders from Earth just bought advanced technology from Vilani worlds. They sent students to technical colleges and universities on Vilani worlds.

I have a pet theory that the espionage they conducted included breaking into the forbidden technology archives, which is why the Terrans were able to leap ahead of the Vilani technology wise - jump 3, meson guns, AI robots...
Old February 28th, 2016, 08:47 PM

BwapTED Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
In the years between the wars traders from Earth just bought advanced technology from Vilani worlds. They sent students to technical colleges and universities on Vilani worlds.

I have a pet theory that the espionage they conducted included breaking into the forbidden technology archives, which is why the Terrans were able to leap ahead of the Vilani technology wise - jump 3, meson guns, AI robots...
I think that makes good sense if you want to preserve the idea of Earthmen beating the Space Empire through superior pluck and cleverness.
This is a fun, classic sci fi theme.

I prefer the Ziru Sirka conquering Earth. But that's classic stuff, too.

In any case, I like this idea of a 2300 + OTU mashup.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 01:05 PM
Peer of the Realm

Bromo33333 Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to Bromo33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
My take on it is that the Ancients bio-engineered all transplanted races with advanced immune systems so diseases just didn't affect them.
In GURPS Interstellar War, diseases caught from Terrans was a very big source of death in the Vilani Empire according to the source book. So while the bio-engineering might be a great idea, it couldbe that the transplanted human races just didn't experience the native biome so there were a limited number of diseases they'd be susceptible to.

But what you are doing is plausible as well, I never viewed GURPS as being Canon, and of course a 2300AD-Vilani crossover isn't Canon either so have at it! :-)