Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old January 14th, 2020, 02:56 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Grav_Moped Citizen

Nothing heretical at all. It just turns the material's phlogiston into light, causing the material to decay.
Old January 14th, 2020, 06:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

I am using primarily the old Basic series of D&D rules, supplemented as needed. The rules have fewer spells than AD&D 1st Edition, but I do need to get out my Little Tan Books to check them.

The First Level Cleric and Magic-user Light spells are the same in terms of effective diameter, 30 feet, and not being the equal of sunlight. Duration is different, with the cleric spell having a flat duration, while the magic-user spell has a variable duration based on caster level.

Continual Light is a Second Level Magic-users Spell, with a 60 foot diameter light not equal to full daylight. Continual Light is a Third Level Clerical Spell, with a 60 foot diameter light EQUAL to full daylight, so not the same. Both can be turned off by their creator.

There is no indication in either Basic or Advanced D&D (1st Edition) that the item the spell is cast on disintegrates. Anything of that nature would be a house rule.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:53 PM

Gallery : 0
Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

I pulled out volume one of Wizard's Spell Compendium, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Second.

It's as bright as full daylight, however you define that, at whatever season or geographical location.

It can also be cast in the air, and you have to wonder how that works: humidity, dust or air molecule, and if that's the case, you'd assume with anything heavier than air, it's going to follow the law of gravity.

It mentions extremely hard and expensive objects.
Old January 15th, 2020, 02:20 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
I pulled out volume one of Wizard's Spell Compendium, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Second.

It's as bright as full daylight, however you define that, at whatever season or geographical location.

It can also be cast in the air, and you have to wonder how that works: humidity, dust or air molecule, and if that's the case, you'd assume with anything heavier than air, it's going to follow the law of gravity.

It mentions extremely hard and expensive objects.
That is not what I am using for my world, sector, and writings.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Old January 16th, 2020, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Timerover51 - keep in mind, people are pointing out things in other editions than your reference in case you might want to adopt it. The destruction of items by Continual Light is canonical AD&D 2E, and is not a bad idea to implement.

Here's why it's not a bad idea:
Assuming a vaguely realistic economy and that spellcasters are 1 per 1000, and about 2 in 10 NPC casters can cast continual light... Each non-adventuring caster can cast it once a day... a City of 10K will have 2 casters, and be able to add roughly 700 a year...
1: if the material cost is such that it is less than a lantern, every wizard capable of casting it is likely to cast it during down time for cash...
2: if it lasts for longer than a few years, most major cities will blot out the sky unless there's some way of enforcing no use. Also, cities in the underdark will be too bright for Drow or Shadow Elves. Heck, too bright even for anyone not from Vegas...
3: every farmer is going to buy several. You will have farmers doing "Fairbanks grow-season" all year round. (Fairbanks summer growing season sees carrots in the pound range, cabbages over 1m across and still edible, potatoes and onions both in the 1-2 lb range.) The only times they take them down is when they need to trigger flowering.
4: it becomes a essentially a dispellable artifact.
5: it disincentivizes wizard adventuring...
6: downtown undercity is as well lit as mid day at the sun temple in the desert... all the time.

See, even if the 3rd level wizard casts it daily for 10gp... that's 10xp per day... and that's easily 300 xp per year (and a healthy but modest townsman lifestyle)...2 years later, he's 4th level. And, assuming he is safe in town, doubles his output (and cash and XP gains), and hits 5th within another 3 years... and everyone above the peasantry has at least one... and you can bet dispelling one becomes a crime.

Also, that's not the only "employable" spell... but it's the easiest to abuse.

No one's saying you have to use that AD&D rule, but we are pointing out that the spell, without the restriction, potentially becomes (and in my case, once actually became) a perpetual economy breaker to the point that many people wanted a nerf on it. ANd it's not even a house rule for some D&D editions. Even just limiting it to a year is enough to reduce its abusability.

Plus, unless your players are serious rules lawyers, borrowing it from another edition is likely to go over just fine.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old January 17th, 2020, 05:04 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post

Plus, unless your players are serious rules lawyers, borrowing it from another edition is likely to go over just fine.
I did that once, a long time ago when I was running AD&D First edition a lot. The group was not amused.

I will drop the discussion of D&D ideas, and simply do some writing.

Old January 27th, 2020, 03:34 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog

I am putting together some errata on the older D&D Basic/Expert/Companion/Master series of books. I am not sure if I will put anything on DriveThru as house rules for those books. I will not be posting anything here, however.