Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Cepheus Engine > Clement Sector

Clement Sector Discussion area for Clement Sector and other publications of Gypsy Knight Games for CE & Traveller.

Old September 30th, 2019, 11:13 AM
Baron

Gallery : 0
Visit Independence Games's Blog
Independence Games Citizen++Independence Games Citizen++Independence Games Citizen++Independence Games Citizen++Independence Games Citizen++
Default Earth Sector

OK. Some of you have noticed the "Earth Sector" logo (thanks to Charlie Garcia for his work on the logo) on the Lance and as a subcategory on DTRPG. I am happy to announce that GKG is in the process of creating an Earth sector setting book. I'm still in the writing phase at this point so I'm not confident enough in a publication date to set one. However, if all goes smoothly, you should see this by the end of the year.

That will be followed by some subsector sourcebooks outlining the many colonized subsectors of Earth Sector as well as books giving more details to other facets of this part of the setting.

While we will begin to do books on the Earth Sector side of things, we will continue to bring you sourcebooks concerning Clement Sector. The next Clement Sector book that you see will likely be the first of the Tim's Guides, which will detail the ground forces of a particular subsector in a similar manner as to how the Wendy's Guides detailed the navies.

We will also bring you books (like the Lance) which will be applicable to both "branches" of the overall setting. Just look for the logos!

We're very excited about this expansion of the setting and we hope you will be as well.

Thanks for your time!

Independence Games: Home of Clement Sector, Earth Sector, and Action Movie Physics.

Our website.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 01:49 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

wellis Citizen

Will the Earth Sector books mostly deal with the years prior to the Collapse or is it intended to be "present day", as in the same current era as the Clement Sector is?
Old October 3rd, 2019, 09:16 AM
Baron

Independence Games Citizen++Independence Games Citizen++Independence Games Citizen++Independence Games Citizen++Independence Games Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellis View Post
Will the Earth Sector books mostly deal with the years prior to the Collapse or is it intended to be "present day", as in the same current era as the Clement Sector is?
"Present" day. It will detail what happened on the Earth Sector side after the Conduit collapsed as well as more detail about Earth Sector itself.

Independence Games: Home of Clement Sector, Earth Sector, and Action Movie Physics.

Our website.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 11:32 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

What do you envision seeing that will distinguish Earth Sector from Clement Sector?

How big do you envision Earth Sector space to be? Clement, a frontier, has only one sector mapped/detailed, plus some nearby subsectors. Earth Sector has been at it a little longer before, during, and after the wormhole, yes? If no, why not?

Will it be more realistic? Like a nod to real star system info? Example: Current science exploration shows Epsilon Eradani (an internationally accepted name) with TWO asteroid belts, so call it that and not a silly name like "Double Belted" or name based on a single culture. And place its two asteroid belts...
The idea being it Earth Sector is more cosmopolitan. Or is it not?

Being the original "home sector" of humanity with I imagine more developed infrastructure than Clement at the time of the wormhole collapse, will it be a higher TL now than Clement? Or did it go down TL due to [insert favorite deus ex machina here :smile:]?

How is Earth doing ? National/cultural unification occurring or is every culture out for themselves still?

Will the old wormhole (or a new one elsewhere in Clement) open/re-open with Earth Sector making claims or trying to reassert control. Hilarity ensues (some people call it war ).

Real proper aliens?
Old October 3rd, 2019, 02:02 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brazil View Post
What do you envision seeing that will distinguish Earth Sector from Clement Sector?
There will be far fewer independent worlds. Most of the worlds will have been settled by the nations of Earth over time and remain under the control of those nations. Different problems for those entities to solve and the worlds are far less friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brazil
How big do you envision Earth Sector space to be? Clement, a frontier, has only one sector mapped/detailed, plus some nearby subsectors. Earth Sector has been at it a little longer before, during, and after the wormhole, yes? If no, why not?
Earth Sector space will cover the majority of Earth Sector itself and bit of the area around it. Yes, they have been at it longer than in Clement Sector but (and I'm assuming that you know the Clement Sector background here but your question about Epsilon Eridani makes me wonder...) Earth Sector is *FAR* less inviting than Clement Sector. That's why Clement got most of the colonization efforts from, at first, nation-states and then independent groups (which was often independent groups working closely with nation-states).

Quote:
Will it be more realistic? Like a nod to real star system info? Example: Current science exploration shows Epsilon Eradani (an internationally accepted name) with TWO asteroid belts, so call it that and not a silly name like "Double Belted" or name based on a single culture. And place its two asteroid belts... The idea being it Earth Sector is more cosmopolitan. Or is it not?
More realistic than Clement Sector? Probably not. I'm doing the same style of space opera here and not hard SF.

I've consulted real star information and studied it in detail and some of that will come through in the information. However, I'm not going to be a slave to it particularly since new information is coming along all the time and I'm placing these on a two dimensional map to match what we've done with Clement Sector. If you're expecting this to be hyperrealistic, it won't be. That's not what I do.

Quote:
Being the original "home sector" of humanity with I imagine more developed infrastructure than Clement at the time of the wormhole collapse, will it be a higher TL now than Clement? Or did it go down TL due to [insert favorite deus ex machina here :smile:]?

How is Earth doing ? National/cultural unification occurring or is every culture out for themselves still?
There are still nation-states. Again, I'm assuming that you know the Clement Sector background and know already that Earth remains divided among nation-states and that many who are powerful in the present are not so in the future. This remains so.

As far as tech level, it varies a bit. There will be those of a slightly higher tech level than the average in Clement and those who are a slight bit lower.

Quote:
Will the old wormhole (or a new one elsewhere in Clement) open/re-open with Earth Sector making claims or trying to reassert control. Hilarity ensues (some people call it war ).
Clement Sector and Earth Sector remain separated from one another.

Quote:
Real proper aliens?
Not sure what you mean by "real" and "proper".

Our website.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 02:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

shadowlord Citizen

I assume he means Aliens as opposed to uplifts and the genetically modified humans ( name escapes me for the minute. would also at some point in the future see the sectors surrounding clement written up even if it is just x123xxx.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 10:18 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

wellis Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Knights Games View Post
More realistic than Clement Sector? Probably not. I'm doing the same style of space opera here and not hard SF.

I've consulted real star information and studied it in detail and some of that will come through in the information. However, I'm not going to be a slave to it particularly since new information is coming along all the time and I'm placing these on a two dimensional map to match what we've done with Clement Sector. If you're expecting this to be hyperrealistic, it won't be. That's not what I do.
Do you intend to use the Near Stars maps for your product? Or do you have your own maps made available?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Knights Games View Post
There are still nation-states. Again, I'm assuming that you know the Clement Sector background and know already that Earth remains divided among nation-states and that many who are powerful in the present are not so in the future. This remains so.

As far as tech level, it varies a bit. There will be those of a slightly higher tech level than the average in Clement and those who are a slight bit lower.
The Lance-class gunboat and the Trent-class destroyer books both imply China may be on the rise, from those three spacers in that Trent-class destroyer complaining about the UN handing China and other nations some new places to colonize, to the Chinese being the ones to invent gravitic drives.

Considering how the intro in the Trent-class destroyer book ends with a Chinese naval ship jumping into that system the destroyer is in, and then claiming it belongs to them despite the US already having gone through the legal channels and it being theirs, it does make me wonder if China in the Clement Sector has been using various excuses, akin to the current SCS situation, to take lots of colonies around Earth.

IIRC humanity's general TL in the overall setting is like what TL 12 or something, with like TL 14 in electronics and such?

In addition, will we be learning what nations are the current haves and have nots in the setting? The US seemed to be second-tierish/second place, if what those three spacers were talking about in the Trent-class destroyer book was true. Admittedly that was back in 2195 or something.

Last edited by wellis; October 3rd, 2019 at 10:30 PM..