Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Traveller 5 > Traveller 5

Traveller 5 Discussion of the Fifth edition of Traveller, released Spring 2013.

Old February 4th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
yamsi3467 Citizen
Default Current Thoughts on T5

Good Morning,

I have been giving a lot of thought to T5 over the past few days. I want to start out by saying that I understand the some parts are in rework. I think this is a good thing, and I look forward to the updated sections.

When I started as a T5 beta tester, my nephew was very interested. Recently, I asked him if he was still that way. He told me that he had gone back to Mongoose Traveller because it was simpler. T5 was just too hard for him to understand. He is very bright, and is currently a college student in Political Science.

This made me think. As has been mentioned previous times, the Core Rules lack an index. I believe this makes it hard for first time players to find what they need. It is a very large and intimidating tome! I know Rob has put together a mini-index, and I applaud that.

Also, I think more examples and tutorials would benefit. There are some examples, but in places it appears the rules got updated and the examples did not. I realize the errata handles some of this.

Among all of the rule updates, I feel that we need to make sure T5 is user friendly. When players (even veteran players) comment that they have a hard time creating characters, starships, etc. because the rules are hard to follow, I think this needs to be address.

Again, these are my thoughts. I am not taking sides, bashing anyone, or trying to start a flame war.

Yamsi

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.