Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Random Static

Random Static This is the forum to post in if you want to discuss non-Traveller related topics. Off-topic subjects found in other forums will usually be moved here if appropriate.

Old September 13th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Klaus Citizen
Default Calling all XBOX 360 users... Is it working?

I see "Please put this game in an Xbox 360 console" just after I put a game in my Xbox 360.

This is my second Xbox 360 now - the first crashed spectacularly every 30 seconds or so. Microsoft 'replaced' it; I put replaced in inverted commas, as it was not a new console, but a refurbished one, a dusty machine built 9 months before my original one was.

Now the second one is failing. The above message appears when I put in a second disc - now it's happening to new discs.

It is obviously a disk drive failure. Highly frustrating and Kafka-esque. The console is mistaking a game for a DVD.

Now I'm out of warranty. Microsoft have extended the warranty for the 3 LEDs of Death to 3 years, so I just have to hope that happens to mine, as I'm loath to pay £85 for another refurbished Xbox.

Now I'm asking if any other users on here have had similar problems. I've scoured the net for info, and looked at Gamecentral on Teletext (in the UK - 1 million viewers per day). Many users are on their 4th or 5th Xbox; one guy is apparently on his 13th.

The UK maintenance contractors, who have been recieving 2500 duff consoles per day(!), have categorically stated that the console is unrepairable, due to fatal design flaws, and that they can only patch them up. As Microsoft is refusing to replace duffers with new consoles, that means once you got a problem machine, you're stuck with problem machines.

The average failure rate for new tech is 3-5%. There are reports (out of EA, for one) that for the 360 the failure rate is more like 25-30%.

So, I'm asking here for user comments because other forums are full of vicious fanboys - this forum has a better class of contributer so I hope for a more reasoned response.

Thank you for reading.

N

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.