Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

View Poll Results: How important is Coffee?
Never touch the stuff 32 16.08%
It's ok 13 6.53%
it's yummy 20 10.05%
It's what gets me going 30 15.08%
Do not get between me and the coffee pot 66 33.17%
I drink tea 27 13.57%
should be outlawed 1 0.50%
other 10 5.03%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 5th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by selunatic2397 View Post
Was the owner's many times great grand father named Agatha Heterodyne?
Probably not. This was something I came up with many years ago, long before that particular story was written. He may have been named Cap'n Binky, though; the original inspiration was from a book by James Blaylock.

Hans
Old October 5th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Location: Stalking the seeker Claimjumper and it\'s crew of geriatric pirates.
Gallery : 0
selunatic2397 Citizen

Cool! I can't say how many times my gamers have spotted things from our sessions in published adventures...at least 2 of the group have convinced themselves our gaming group is being spyed on by TSR/Paizo/ECT.

One of my players tried out the perfect coffee machine only to find it only used pellets of aged Irish peat as a combustion source...absolutely nothing else would suffice!

And nothing else even came close to that first perfect cup...It is still driving his engineer crazy!

He went on an epic quest for Kona Gold Coffee beans and ended up with a mere 50 kilos of green beans...

He was told that Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee was reserved for the table of the Emperor and the resident voting nobles on Capital....He is currently trying to get enobled just so he can go to Capital and drink that elusive cuppa.
Old October 5th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by selunatic2397 View Post
Cool! I can't say how many times my gamers have spotted things from our sessions in published adventures...at least 2 of the group have convinced themselves our gaming group is being spyed on by TSR/Paizo/ECT.

One of my players tried out the perfect coffee machine only to find it only used pellets of aged Irish peat as a combustion source...absolutely nothing else would suffice!

And nothing else even came close to that first perfect cup...It is still driving his engineer crazy!

He went on an epic quest for Kona Gold Coffee beans and ended up with a mere 50 kilos of green beans...

He was told that Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee was reserved for the table of the Emperor and the resident voting nobles on Capital....He is currently trying to get enobled just so he can go to Capital and drink that elusive cuppa.
Having had both Kona and Jamaican Blue Mountain, I would lean towards Kona by a few hairs width.

And that perfect cup of coffee has to come from a properly aged pot as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old October 5th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 41
Patron Zero Citizen++Patron Zero Citizen++Patron Zero Citizen++Patron Zero Citizen++
Send a message via Yahoo to Patron Zero

Blue Mountain coffee went from being pricey to OMG after one of the more violent hurricanes in the 1990s destroyed the majority of the mature growing fields in the region.

Having partaken of pre-hurricane and post-hurricane beans, the 'original' stock had a much better flavor.

For those enjoying both Kona and Blue Mountain varieties, I can suggest trying a bean generally packaged as Central Highlands for like qualities of taste and body.
Old October 6th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Vice Administrator

Gallery : 1
Visit Cryton's Blog
Cryton has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Cryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Having had both Kona and Jamaican Blue Mountain, I would lean towards Kona by a few hairs width.

Indeed! And a seasoned mug as well!

Richard Ricker, Baron of the 3I since 2010 Duke since 2016
Baron of Spirelle
Spin 1927 Spirelle C766846-8
Duke of D'Artur
Dagu 0924 D'Artur AAE7443-E
Old October 6th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Absent Friend

rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
I'm told it has to be a proper copper coffee pot.

Hans
Old October 6th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryton View Post
Indeed! And a seasoned mug as well!
Cryton, we clearly have similar tastes when it comes to the elixir of life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old October 7th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Vice Administrator

Visit Cryton's Blog
Cryton has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Cryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryton View Post
Blessed is the bean.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
the hands acquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning;
it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Blessed be the bean.
Thought I'd re-post my first posting in this thread.

Richard Ricker, Baron of the 3I since 2010 Duke since 2016
Baron of Spirelle
Spin 1927 Spirelle C766846-8
Duke of D'Artur
Dagu 0924 D'Artur AAE7443-E
Old October 12th, 2014, 04:19 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Highorbit_drifter Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron Zero View Post
Blue Mountain coffee went from being pricey to OMG after one of the more violent hurricanes in the 1990s destroyed the majority of the mature growing fields in the region.

Having partaken of pre-hurricane and post-hurricane beans, the 'original' stock had a much better flavor.

For those enjoying both Kona and Blue Mountain varieties, I can suggest trying a bean generally packaged as Central Highlands for like qualities of taste and body.
Around the time of that hurricane a large number of rich investors bought a lot of those growing fields, at premium prices. Needing to make their money after the hurricane, "Blue Mountain" coffee suddenly became "any coffee we can buy on the open market and slap a label saying its from here".

It was only around 2010, maybe, that Europe was finally able to impose harsh enough restrictions imports that labeling finally started reflecting what was actually in a bag of Blue Mountain. To this day its nearly impossible to find 100% Blue Mountain, at any price.

It started to come down in price, but droughts and disease have lifted the price again, along with all other coffees.
Old October 17th, 2014, 04:59 AM
Absent Friend

Plot seed: This backwater world's biggest claim to fame is Chokita Red Jungle coffee. It is mostly exported to the neighboring world, a trade center, and sold at the standard markup to regular shippers. Just as the PCs' free trader touch down on the starport field, reports reach the startown of a hurricane devastating the Red Jungle fields, and the price of the coffee stored for sale in the startown warehouses immediately quintuples in price. Anyone who gets to the neighboring world before the news will be able to load up on Red Jungle coffee at 125%1, wait for the news to arrive, and sell again at 750%. All the PCs have to do is sell their current cargo for the money to invest in the coffee and jump to the neighboring world before anyone else.
1 Guesstimate. I've no idea what the markup would be for a single jump. If the coffee is high value for bulk and the markup is mostly transportation costs, it could be quite low.
And just then another free trader arrives at the jump limit, only six or eight hours behind that of the PCs.

Hans