Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > GURPS Traveller

GURPS Traveller A forum for discussing GURPS Traveller from Steve Jackson Games

Old December 24th, 2019, 06:54 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

not sure why this occurs to me but you could call it "galt's gulch" ....
Old December 28th, 2019, 07:08 PM

Gallery : 0
whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

What exactly makes these seeds GT specific?
Old January 1st, 2020, 11:19 AM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

One form of 'backstory time travel' could be achieved by wafers. Plug in a wafer, players play through backstory of history as though they were there, and either they really were the people recorded in the wafers and what they 'do' is what happened, or the wafers are on 'alternative choice game' mode and lets people play out what happened or what modern wafer game companies/education systems THINK what happened.

Or combine the two, play out the 'current understanding game' then later on the characters run across wafers about what REALLY happened.
Old January 8th, 2020, 07:38 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

My computer was hijacked during the server update, which resulted in several fake Window's Defender notifications asking for my Window's ID, slowed browsing, and other phishing scams. I spoke with Magnus about this, and apologize to the site and people who read my stuff. I had Norton do several scans, enabled it's Safe Browsing tool, tossed cookies, cleared browsing history, and a number of other things to give my computer a security shake down.

I have more adventure seeds, but am going to beg off for the time being because of this latest security concern. However, a couple more seeds I wanted to post dealt with an homage to Venus and an old Miyazaki film (Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind) I saw in early 80s via laser disk. I mish-mashed that with Peter Jackson's version of skull island from his take on King Kong, where megafauna savaged the crew going after Fay Wray.

Seed First; A world that has an exotic atmosphere that allows habitation in the upper "biosphere" where nitrogen and molecular oxygen give a breathable atmosphere, but below a certain altitude the atmosphere is fogged with poisonous compounds, hiding the remains of a tech level one civilization. On top of that, pirates are hiding in the poisonous depths, and your team is tasked with ferreting them out.

Seed Second was based on a concept I had inspired from the old Jeff Goldblum and Cyndi Lauper comedy, "Vibes". You team goes to a world with mountainous South American like Rockies / Andes mountain range, and there you confront a cult leader with enhanced psionic powers.

That's all for now. I'm taking a break from the forum for some time. Thanks for reading.
Old January 8th, 2020, 10:40 AM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Learning Linux has got to be easier than dealing with that stuff you deal with.

Install Linux, install vm software, install windows on the VM for when you HAVE to have it, and simply leave it "off" the rest of the time. Then work on migrating to linux and then be done with it.
Old February 6th, 2020, 09:52 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
What exactly makes these seeds GT specific?
I was going to use some of the concepts I jotted down inspired by other GURPS books; Banestorm, Castle Falkenstein, Alternate Earths and others, but decided instead to get the main ones out there. Some are fully formatted adventures waiting to be published, others are merely in rough draft form.

Initially I was going to create a thread for each concept, which is why the title has the obligatory "1" in it, but I didn't want to spam the GURPS section with a bunch of different threads for each concept, especially since one thread would have been more appropriate.

If you get a chance, have a look at "Castles and Dragons", the adventure I wrote for the SJGames version of JTAS. Mister Miller has the maps, and I think he said he was going to include the maps on the disk. Anyway, the point here being that initially I wanted to publish a bunch of non OTU adventures as per Proto-Traveller. Adventures that could be played in one sitting, as per something like the old double adventures, didn't have anything to do with the OTU unless the referee wanted it, and were not really the scope nor scale of the regular adventures nor anything published by TSR for the D&D line.

I'm not going to do that now, and am pretty much done with it and the game. But I did want to give a taste of stuff that I think people could run with and enjoy in their own private gaming sessions without a full blown write up by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
One form of 'backstory time travel' could be achieved by wafers. Plug in a wafer, players play through backstory of history as though they were there, and either they really were the people recorded in the wafers and what they 'do' is what happened, or the wafers are on 'alternative choice game' mode and lets people play out what happened or what modern wafer game companies/education systems THINK what happened.

Or combine the two, play out the 'current understanding game' then later on the characters run across wafers about what REALLY happened.
I contemplated the "wafer" concept (or something like it), but didn't want to imitate an episode of Star Trek the Next Generation, largely because I really do not like that show, and didn't want to appear as taking a concept from it. But the gist that I got from Marc Miller was that there could be a work around for the time travel thing, and a computer generated historic simulation is what came to my mind. If you're a TNG fan you might recall an episode where Picard lives out the life of a native on a planet probe attaches itself to his cranium, and he has a life experience from it. It's one of few episodes I ever saw after Season 1. It's an interesting premise, but TNG really rubs me raw on a number of levels, and I don't want to pay homage to it in any way, shape or form.

The full concept, as it stands now, is more for a full length novel with lots of subplots, but writing "romances" or "bromances" or whatever regarding people's emotional attachments to one another, is not my forte. That, and that kind of stuff doesn't lend itself to good plot driven scifi, which is what this was going to be. A lot of the adventure regards the players puzzling out how to get from point A to point B while crisis C and mystery D loom in the background.

The adventure based loosely off of Lebbeus Woods' art, like this one, had an element of intrigue that was more tangible than the Soleri adventure (for lack of a better term). And the Lebbeus Woods' art is more or less a social commentary on the ramifications of warfare, and the misery and destruction it brings about, which was in tune with the adventure.

Sorry for not replying earlier, but I was really in a foul mood (as usual). I probably won't be coming back for some time.

Have fun!
Old February 9th, 2020, 03:10 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

TNG first season was sucky. It found it's legs later on. I do profess to be a bit surprised at people getting angry at it, pretty innocuous as scifi goes.
Old February 9th, 2020, 09:41 PM

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

Quote:
I have more adventure seeds
looking forward to them.
Old April 13th, 2020, 11:39 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
looking forward to them.
Well, I'm pretty much done with posting more. But, I'll share this concept. One of my favoi9te scifi fantasy artists is Michael Whelan, and he has a lot of credits to his name. Too many to mention, but the image found on this link entitled "Armenia" sparked a concept. It's more conventional scifi than Traveller, and is along of what I was going to call my "city series" set of adventures, but it could easily be a setting for a proto-Traveller or original-flavored Traveller adventure.

Here's the image link; https://www.michaelwhelan.com/galleries/armenia/

The concept dealt with visiting the fallen city in the background during its hay-day, much like one of the previous concepts. But the story didn't deal with the cities fate, but rather a more prosaic mystery that dogged some of the locals. The hero's job (or the players if I had published it in adventure format), would have been to solve the mystery, and then return to their own "reality" / "time" / whatever-you-want-to-call-it.

I first came across the image in the mid or early 90s, and bought Whelan's book of art at that time. The thing that interests me is that this is, to me at least, obviously a grav city that had come to ruin somehow. How that happened could be explained any number of ways, and didn't interest me. What I found interesting, and what I might have written about was the culture that a main character, or the players, would have encountered once there.

I hope that helps. I really only come here to see my readership. So I hope this bonus post has been helpful.
Old August 29th, 2020, 02:42 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

Final Seed

This one was supposed to take place on Bellerophon, but I got it mixed up with the "wedding in the pyramid complex / cult" seed.

You are in a Susano-oh class undersea miner. Think of the massive tracked carrier that ferries rockets at Cape Kennedy / Cape Canaveral to launch areas, only it travels an undersea network of roads. You are there to investigate a series of sabotage incidents that have caused loss of life and property. Chief suspects are rival companies vying for mining rights on the ocean floor, and various unions, or even rival unions, notably Belters Local 16 who see undersea mining as cutting into their profit margin.

The other day the captain skirted a portion of the road network over looking an abyss. The week before that you were attacked by a "kraken" that resembled a prehistoric mosasaur with multiple appendages, and perhaps nearly equal to the size of the miner. A few electric shocks and it scurried away, but damage was significant though reparable.

Just as you and your team of undercover agents sit down for the evening meal in the miner's mess as deep watery ocean steel black presses all around your vehicle, the gentle rumble of the miner's treads is interrupted by a bump, then another bump, then a series of bumps.

Water from a razor thin crack violently sprays into the galley. Before you know it, the water is already as deep as the souls of your shoes...

Actions?

p.s. I actually have this one scripted our and ready to print, but again, it's not going anywhere, so here's the seed for it. I think that's the last one I have. Sorry for the necromancing.

p.p.s Here's a link to the image of said Kraken; https://www.deviantart.com/elmisa/art/Kraken-275185089
Note, I actually made contact with the author, and he agreed to let me use the image in an email exchange, but I've lost interest. Anyway, enjoy adventuring and enjoy taking on this critter (for whoever wants to stat it out).

Last edited by Blue Ghost; August 30th, 2020 at 05:26 PM..