Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:49 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 17
Visit OjnoTheRed's Blog
OjnoTheRed Citizen+OjnoTheRed Citizen+
Default MegaTraveller - Explorer ship

Hello there. My daughter has been watching me get back into Traveller, and has naturally taken an interest in it.

She wanted to design a ship, and really wanted it to be a Jump-6 because "I was looking at all these ships and there wasn't a Jump-6 ship". It's true - she has been pouring over the Imperial Encyclopedia, really interested in the ships there.

I asked her what her Jump-6 ship would be intended to do (i.e. mission). She said an exploring ship.

Of course, she wanted it to have the best weapons and the best of everything, but we discussed the most important aspects of the ship to fulfill its mission. We left off armaments to reduce the cost. Anyway, she wanted me to "send it to Traveller" - and I thought that posting it here would be reasonable enough.

Any feedback or comment on the design welcome.

http://www.box.net/shared/qff2lx5vus

Also, she wants me to use this icon:
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:51 AM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

You don't need gunners if you haven't got guns...
Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:38 AM

Visit OjnoTheRed's Blog

lol, yeah.

I put them in the spreadsheet thinking ahead to just ensure enough crew space allocated while we thought about jump-6 fuel etc. forgot to remove them after deciding against mounting weapons in the primary design. Well, we can consider the extra staterooms for extra crew / landing parties etc.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 12:45 PM
Count

Gallery : 0
Visit Hemdian's Blog
Hemdian Citizen+Hemdian Citizen+

What's the hull configuration and armour (or what shape is it and how thick is the hull)? Also, if it's an explorer, what about fuel scoops and purification? I'm thinking the option for wilderness refueling would be important.

Finally, I'd be tempted to give it some sort of subordinate craft ... at least an air/raft if it'll fit.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 01:37 PM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

Yup, definitely scoops & FPP. I'd add a ship's boat, better computer, and at least a missile turret (for probes).
Old May 23rd, 2010, 02:12 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 8
Swiftbrook Citizen

Double your duration if possible. The extra fuel could be used for an emergency second jump if needed. Remember, exploring takes time and explorers take risks.
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:32 PM

Gallery : 1
E.D.Quibell Citizen

Increase the cargo space to carry additional lifesupport for long duration missions.

Regards,

Ewan
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:07 AM

Visit OjnoTheRed's Blog

Thanks heaps everyone! A couple of mistakes exposed by the replies: yes, I'll do-up the evaluation with the hull config etc. Some great ideas there, as well as some things I completely forgot to carry across - I did install fuel purification forgot to list it. I'll put up a revised design soon as I've got a chance to re-do it.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:23 AM

Visit OjnoTheRed's Blog

As promised, I have updated the design evaluation including the missing information. The only thing I have skipped is adding a missile turret for probes - ah, well, next iteration.

I have added enough fuel for an additional Jump-1. This could also be used to extend the endurance of the power plant - I've included this in the notes. Solar Cells and batteries supply emergency back-up.

I am tempted to sacrifice cargo space for a few more cubic metres of batteries to give more margin for back-up needs. I have drawn the extra endurance of supplies from Beltstrike (where 1 displacement ton = 50 person/weeks of supplies).

http://www.box.net/shared/qff2lx5vus
Old June 3rd, 2010, 01:48 AM
Count

Gallery : 0
Visit Hemdian's Blog
Hemdian Citizen+Hemdian Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by OjnoTheRed View Post
The only thing I have skipped is adding a missile turret for probes - ah, well, next iteration.
Okay, starting to look good. (When you add the turret you'll only want one launcher.) I'm wondering if you need space for a lab and possibly specimens ... say equivalent to a stateroom? Have you optimised the design, maybe you can reduce the crew requiements by 1 to get some extra space?
  • Did you remember you don't need LS and grav in the fuel tanks?

• I've always assumed that for ships a holorecorder was built in at no extra cost.

• Do you need triple sensors?

• Do you need a neural scanner on a ship? Better on the GCarrier.

• Hull armour should start at 40 and go up in multiples of 3 ... so 49 rather than 50.