Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Cleon Memorial Library

The Cleon Memorial Library For discussion of Traveller fiction, both official and fan-written. Fan-written drafts are explicitly welcome.

Old July 13th, 2017, 06:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

Gallery : 0
Barrel Citizen
Default Part 2 of the Melinda Snodgrass interview

Do you remember total cost to produce the film?

Eight million dollars give or take a few thousand.

Many fans (myself included) have longed to witness a region 1 DVD release of Star Command. Do you know of anywhere fans can write to prod for a studio release?

It was a Paramount production. They would have to decide to release it.
Editor's note: Here's the email address if you happen to be so inclined to prod: PHE_CustomerService@Paramount.com

When is the last time you've seen the film/ do you own a copy of it?

I have a copy of it, but I don't watch it. It was my first attempt producing. We had all the problems associated with shooting in Germany, and all I see are the flaws.

If you could go back, is there anything you'd change/ go about differently?

Oh absolutely. I'd get it started a lot faster. Act one is too slow. I would have refused to cut the emotional character moments. I would have insisted they make the uniforms the way I described them. The bad guys are supposed to be dressed in red not black. I really didn't want them to look like SS officers.

Believe it or not, there have been comparisons made about the latest Star Trek film and Star Command in terms of prose, scope, and theme. Have you seen the new Trek and if so what did you think of it? How do you respond to such comparisons?

I had no idea people were comparing the new Trek to Star Command. That makes me feel good. I liked the new Trek a lot though the story didn't make any sense. Why didn't the crazy Romulan just go home, and tell everybody to, like, move? Some of that isn't their fault. Apparently Paramount made them shoot the first draft, and no rewrites were possible because of the writer's strike.

Tell us a little bit about a day in the life of Melinda Snodgrass, 2009.

I get up early 6:00 or 6;30 am. I'm at the barn riding my horse my 8:30. I then go work out so I'll be strong enough to keep riding the upper level dressage horse. I come home, eat a bite and go to work. I spend three to four hours on the Edge book then switch and do a few hours on the Urban Fantasy. I aim to write about 4 pages on each book every day. I watch Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow on MSNBC while I fix dinner. Then after dinner I read or sit outside on my patio and look at the Milky Way. I live outside of Santa Fe on 11 acres so the night sky is spectacular.

What CDs would be found if we were to look in your player right now (or music tracks if you're an iPod type of gal)?

My IPod touch is sitting on a Bose player. I guess I'd have to be a super villain in a Hollywood movie because I mostly listen to classical music. Right now I'm listening to a Schubert Piano trio number 1 in D minor.

Any thoughts on George Lucas' re-visitation of the Star Wars franchise.

I really, really wish he wouldn't have. Those last three movies were so awful, and this from a woman who loved Star Wars and Empire, and found Vader fascinating.

If you could work with any Hollywood producer on a future project, who and why?

Guillermo del Toro because he is so wildly creative.

What kind of computer do you use for your writing?

An Apple IMac.

Are you a coffee addict?

No, I prefer tea with cream.

What are your three favorite DVDs (currently occupying your entertainment center)?

I assume you mean not current movies, but films that I love. If that's the case then -- Aliens, Lawrence of Arabia, and Love Actually. How's that for a weird mix?

What's the last book you read?

GODSLAYER by Jacqueline Carey.

Special thanks to Melinda for taking the time to conduct this interview. Best of luck on all of your future endeavors. Fans can find out more by visiting her site:
http://www.melindasnodgrass.com/