Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Twilight:2000 > TWILIGHT: 2000 1E/2E

TWILIGHT: 2000 1E/2E Discussion of the Twilight: 2000 from GDW.

Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:40 PM
Citizen: SOC-1

Gallery : 0
BOHICA6 Citizen
To Anyone,

Does anyone know how to, or where to go to present new ideas to FFE? And administrator if your out there, HINT, HINT.

I see this game as suffering from fresh blood, and fresh ideas, so here is a few I'm goint to toss out there;

1. Make a CD with character creation on it to include;
- Basic Character Creation
- Equipment purchase & description
- A sample 'mini-adventure' so the new player can figure out how the gaming system works.
- All the players charts and character sheets on this disk. Other games have it?

2. New more modern, yet simple & realistic rules for combat, vehicles & damage. I know everyone will say "Version 2.XX", work with me here.

3. A NEW campaign!

So I CHALLENGE anyone, here and now to come up with these ideas, (And where the heck to send them too, FFE - We need a link here!)I have mine, let's hear yours, and lets hear your voices!

BOHICA 6
Old February 4th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

Sgt Biggles Citizen
Cool

Greetings,

I don’t administer this board, however, I am working on the T20 Twilight Source book. Many of the past links have discussed various concepts of what the update should include. As the project currently stands the Twilight Source Book will;
-Be based on the Traveller T20 rules engine.
-Take place during the original timeline presented in Ver 1.
-T20 rules will be streamlined to focus more on modern day ground combat.
-Contain information which will allow referees to start a campaign anywhere in the world. The focus will still be centered in Poland, though the referee could start his campaign in Oklahoma City, OK or Toronto, Canada for that matter.
-Will include flexible career building guidelines for both military and civilian careers
-Has a mustering out process designed specifically for ending a career and ending up in a war zone.
-There will be intro scenarios and combat examples.

You are welcome to place any ideas or thoughts you might have here on this board and I will look at them. Keep in mind, final approval for anything I submit for the Source book comes from MJD and Hunter.

My current line of thought has been along the lines of ‘what constitutes payment for services rendered?’ Another link has been discussing some of this. So here is an area for input;

“Why would a character want to establish a trade route between various cities and towns?” “What’s in it for her?” After all, money isn’t a sought after commodity. Even in the larger population centers gold and silver are barely holding their own as an exchange commodity.

I would like to hear your thoughts. I have enjoyed reading many of the threads listed here and have joined in on a few. I received a very good indoctrination on Canadian philosophy from several kind and patient folks.

As to sending links to FFE and Marc Miller, the website has a 'contact us' link. Many of the original Twilight 2000 materials are being reprinted by FFE and are available. They include the original text and artwork and are very well done.

Character generators and the like are not my area of knowledge. I suspect someone, somewhere will put one out sometime, probably as shareware. Many of the good generators for WoTC d20 games have been pulled from the shareware realms, for reasons I don’t know. There may be other issues involved. If you are interested in creating a generator it might be wise to check into the licensing policies and such.

SB
Old February 4th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
I am intrigued by having a setting played out in Toronto, ON, Canada...

As one of the many cities, I am proud to call home. Toronto could make an excellent cyberpunk milieu when combined with the writing of Nalo Hopkins (minus the magic). One could visualize perhaps, Toronto becoming a free commune having gained immunity from tactical nuclear strikes by declaring its independence and taking much of Canada's ecumen with in a true representation of megacity. Although, much of Toronto's energy would be containment around Pickering (which if I recall was designed to withstand an airbust but maybe the Soviets didn't know that) and defending the agricultural land & hydroelectric stations at Niagara Falls.

Gee, this is being to sound like my first Traveller campaign (circa 1982) when the USSR & USA exchanged nuclear strikes around 1999. It was Canada who rose up and took over North America.

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old February 5th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit savage's Blog
savage Citizen
Talking

I've been pretty verbose about a new T2k and I'm pleased with what I'm hearing. I do think that the
failure of chemical wpns on a massive scale is a bit unrealistic.

Perhaps you should send Frank a letter or email and ask him what he'd change if he had it to do over.

Of course, I'm hoping we'll see an updated wpn book soon to follow.

I think one of the most benficial tools we used was a quick combat tracking chart. It allowed everyone to keep track of combat activities for their characters...and allowed combat to move quicker.

Savage
Sarriiu of Depot, CORR1511 50 KB
Count Efate, SPIN1705, Mar Skull, SPIN2420
Knight Ngimi ANTA2535, Mar Syzygy SOLO3006
TAS LISH2836
http://corridordepot.blogspot.com/
Cry Havoc and let slip the VARGRs of war.
William Shakespeare's Revised Works,"Julius Caesar", Act 3 scene 1. MTU654
Old March 20th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

jcrocker Citizen+jcrocker Citizen+
While I would also enjoy a Toronto campaign, I don't know if their declaring independance from Canada would spare them. Wouldn't those nasty Soviets think it just another decadent capitalist trick and nuke TO anyway? They slagged a lot of sites just to deny their facilities to NATO, so the capitalist heart of that pesky NATO/NORAD nation would probably rank pretty high on their 'places to nuke' list no matter who was in charge.
That being said, I think Toronto would have a lot of things going for it in a standard 'rebuild' campaign, all of the things you listed and more.
Old March 20th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

PBI Citizen
One request I have for the new SB is that it come across a lot less US-centric, within reason. NATO-centric, no problem, but please get rid of the "highest ranking US character commands the unit" rule/suggestion.
Old March 21st, 2004, 05:19 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

notagoodusername Citizen
I have to concur with PBI. The idea of a US lietenant commanding other army's majors, colonels or whatever is kinda ridiculous (and under the articles of war in most countries it is insubordonation - which in wartime is punishable by death by firing squad...)

Shane

Reality is subjective - and not one of the subjects I studied.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
Why woudl someone want to establish trade routes?

Same reason pre-monetary societies had trade routes... If village A has an excellent glassblower, and woodright, and B has an excellent swordsmith and mechanic, the guy going back and forth can make a living by carrying stuff back and forth... and if you get enough trade, you get a wealthier merchant, who has a decent lifestyle and lifespan... especially if he can back it up with accurate force projection when accosted.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:52 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

tucker2 Citizen
I loved the old T2K timeline, but I wonder how it'd go over with kids these days? The campaign back then started in "THE YEAR 2000" to quote Conan O'Brien, and that's four years ago and in a different world.

It would be a little like playing a "What if?" game of WW2, we know what went on all those years too. The speculation is of a different sort now.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 04:46 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
I think someone should be brave enough to redesignate this product as Twilight 2020 or some such date.
Setting the game in some alternate historical universe stretches its credibility IMHO.
One of the things I "liked" about T2000 was the possibility of its future history.
It shouldn't be too hard to extrapolate current events forward a few years to come up with a near apocalypse scenario.
Even GDW apparently revised their "history" for second edition. Why not do the same?