Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Cepheus Engine > Cepheus General

Cepheus General General discussion of Cepheus Engine products.

Old October 16th, 2018, 09:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

I found an interesting article on mixing D&D style magic with Metamorphosis Alpha that looks like it might work with mixing magic with Traveller, using the Fast Magic rules as a starting point. Clerical magic, being of supernatural origin could probably work anywhere, while Mage-type magic might need to work out in the Rim, as that requires some differences in physics. The question would be do you work up a more formal magic system, or go with what I call the "Wild Magic" of Fast Magic, or use a blend of both or have the option of a systematic user verses the off-hand mage, who makes things up on the spot. Then add the cleric with the same differences, along with some of what I call "Wild Talents" in the realm of Psionics.

The article in the Metamorphosis Alpha Collector's Edition originally appears in The Dragon, No.18, for September 1978, and was written by James Ward.
Do you have a security clearance? New Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old November 2nd, 2018, 06:44 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

I am back working on my Piper-Norton Out Rim Sector, and I feel my "Mad Scientist" avatar coming on.

BEWARE, BEWARE, Will Robinson, there Dragons Lurk.
Do you have a security clearance? New Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Old November 9th, 2018, 11:06 AM
Count

Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
I bought the Fast Magic book from DriveThruRPG along with a couple of Paul's other books, and I have mixed feelings about his idea. Having no basic spell list or lists sounds good in theory, as then the magic-user can make up what he wants on the spot, sort of like Harold Shea in the Fletcher Pratt books. However, if the player first needs to think about what they want to do, then needs to confer with the Game Master as to all of the details, that is going to have the affect of drastically slowing the game down. As for making potions, writing spells. and enchanting items, those are all going to need to be done in advance of the game, which means that the magic-user and Game Master are going to have to agree in advance as to what can and cannot be done. The system in not bad, but implementing it is going to have some problems, unless a fair amount of work is done in advance.
Another way to start looking at it may be through the lens of the Mage game by WW. In short, magic is broken into spheres which have to be combined to have an effect (life, energy, matter, space, time, etc). The first edition required a lot of the sort of creative combinations that you mentioned, but the second edition had a lot of spells listed that were explained in terms of what level of expertise was required in which sphere IOT generate the spell effects. If that sounds like it might be what you're after, second edition may be the go and you can pick it up from RPG Drivethru.

Tiberius Claudius Nero Caesar

Old November 9th, 2018, 01:54 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsyus View Post
Another way to start looking at it may be through the lens of the Mage game by WW. In short, magic is broken into spheres which have to be combined to have an effect (life, energy, matter, space, time, etc). The first edition required a lot of the sort of creative combinations that you mentioned, but the second edition had a lot of spells listed that were explained in terms of what level of expertise was required in which sphere IOT generate the spell effects. If that sounds like it might be what you're after, second edition may be the go and you can pick it up from RPG Drivethru.
Actually, I got out my Little Tan Books from Original D&D and have been going through them. It looks like I can adapt them to Fast Magic with some work. I would rather stay with Fast Magic as that is already designed for use with the Cepheus Engine.

Thanks for the suggest, however. Always nice to get some input from others without be told what to do.

Looking through my Little Tan Book for Greyhawk is interesting as they did not edit out the hobbits and Balrogs in that edition. It would be interesting to run that at a convention.

I do need to check on the use of "Droyne" in my Out Rim sector, to see it that poses a problem. "Aslan" use will not pose problems from the Traveller aspect, as GDW got that from the Narnia books. If I want something like the Vargr, I can use H. Beam Piper's equivalent, or maybe Howard Pyle's walking foxes. Might use those anyway. I love the pirate outfits on them.