Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old February 19th, 2021, 06:51 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 9
Grav_Moped Citizen+Grav_Moped Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDilbert View Post
Nicely done, but it illustrates a problem with tall narrow tail-sitters: The extraordinary amount of access-ways needed, e.g. the lift shaft is something like 4 Dt alone.

Highly subjective comments:

I would probably let the outer curvature of the hull be fuel tanks, that way the usable space can have vertical wall and be easier to use. Perhaps even a square crew space box.
That's a good way to do it, and I've done up designs that used that paradigm. To some extent the layout was influenced by a wanting to re-create something I drew up in 1986.
Quote:

2 m decks are very low; some people are over 2 m and so low ceilings are very oppressive for shorter people. Crawlspaces sure, but regular work areas is a bit questionable.
The flight deck is specifically just acceleration couches under a clear dome; the 2m clearance from the floor bulkhead is to the dome directly above the seats.

In the cases above, I'm just declaring that the deck below (or above) the skinny ones is a simple bulkhead without a false ceiling or floor. The drive room is cramped, intentionally.
Quote:

Separating the hangar and the cargo space allows you to drive the air/raft without exposing the entire cargo space to the exterior environment. It is good to have the cargo hold close to the air/raft, so you can use it to load/unload.
It's also fairly close to the turret, which makes ordnance reloads easier. It'd be easy enough to separate out the cargo bay with a bulkhead down the middle and replacing the single iris valve in the center with one to each compartment.
Quote:

Having the bridge only accessible through the Pilot's bedroom is a bit awkward, especially if we use a co-pilot/navigator.
Perhaps the description is a bit misleading. The "bedroom" is a bunk on one side and a mini-restroom on the other, plus a small food-storage/prep station/closet. The bunk is behind a fold-away partition.

It's my answer to the problem of the canon Type S, of "how do you carry passengers without getting hijacked?" Just have the pilot sleep on the bridge!

Normally the pilot would spend a lot of time on the main crew quarters deck.
Quote:

You are quite a bit over specification for crew spaces, deck 3 space alone is about 15 Dton, add to that the Pilot's stateroom and the storage on deck 4 plus the lift shaft you are up to something like 25 Dt for the 16 Dt "stateroom" space.
Deck 3 (station 5.25m through 8.25m) is 19Td on the plans (calculated), but represents 17.1Td of by-the-book space since the hull shape is 10% oversized at the listed dimensions.

I'm counting most corridors, the personnel airlock, the ship's locker, and the elevator shaft, against the Bridge space allocation. Depending on how you look at it, the Pilot's Suite is 4Td, not 6 -- the path through the middle can be considered Bridge space.

The calculated volume of the upper half of the ship (including half the turret bubble) is 55.5Td on plans, 50.5Td nominal. It holds 44.5Td of components, plus 5.5Td of fuel tankage (in the form of the gratuitous fuel scoops and processors).
Quote:

I would add emergency access between the decks, in case of power loss.
I assume the elevator has emergency hatches in the floor and ceiling.
Old February 19th, 2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
OK, I guesstimated from a house I know.
Spoiler:

Let's see if I can make a better estimate:

A "normal" straight stair would be about 4 m long for 3 m height and 1.5 m wide, so 4 m long times 1.5 m wide times three floors, which is 18 mē or about 193 sq ft.

If the stair is much smaller, it would be rather narrow or steep.

A "normal" stair would be something like this:

A narrow, steep stair would be something like 3 m for 3 m height and 1 m wide, so 3 m long times 1 m wide times 3 floors, which is 9 mē or about 97 sq ft, still a significant part of the house?

Roughly:

Stairs take a lot of space...
Yep. Even spiral stairs, unless they're really steep and narrow.

My mid-1950s house includes a spiral stairwell to the downstairs basement/garage, in a 45" (1.14m) square footprint (interior dimensions). By my state's building code, it's "decorative" and can't be counted as part of an an exit pathway for fire code purposes. I can't imagine trying to use it while wearing a vacc suit...

Last edited by Grav_Moped; February 19th, 2021 at 07:17 PM..
Old February 19th, 2021, 07:11 PM

Gallery : 0
Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Ladders.

Old February 19th, 2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
Ladders.
Spoiler:

Dangit! I'm trying to build an OSHA-compliant starship here!

But really, do you want the crew to have to climb an 8-story ladder? In up to a 2G environment?

I have some ideas -- uniforms and space suits with a "bosun's chair" type sling integrated into the clothing. Clip into a trolley that runs the full height of the ladder shaft to get winched up or down. Automated self-deploying catch nets at 3m intervals to prevent long falls, triggered by laser speed sensors.
Old February 19th, 2021, 11:39 PM

Default Updated first post.

I've added an extended writeup of the deck plans to the first post in the thread.
Old February 20th, 2021, 06:08 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

With a little bit of care, you can make the ladder a simultaneous two way street.

West up, east down.
Old February 20th, 2021, 10:03 AM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Alternating Tread Stair:

LINK TO COMMERCIAL SITE FOR IMAGES AND DIMENSIONS, NOT FOR ADVERTISING:

https://www.fsindustries.com/more_in...ad_stair.shtml
Old February 20th, 2021, 02:05 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Three floors is a lot for only 1200 sq ft.
3 floor townhouses are the "new normal" here is Southern California.

They're striving for more and more density.

It's almost impossible to get a single story new build in Orange County today. All of the larger houses are 2 floors, and the town houses are all become 3 story.

It's one reason we moved out of OC, trying to find a single story house.
Old February 20th, 2021, 04:44 PM

AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
3 floor townhouses are the "new normal" here is Southern California.
Is the population density really that high?

Checking... OC has a lower pop density than the Netherlands (still mostly farmland), but of course crazy high compared to Sweden.
Old February 21st, 2021, 12:05 PM

Southern California seems conglomerations of bungalows and communities of double storeys.

I always thought the reason was cheap construction and earthquakes.