Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:02 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++
For me, it's Classic Traveller. It's insane how much that game appeals to me.

Other science fiction games that peak my interest?

D6 Star Wars because it soooo captures the feel of the movies when I first saw them.

2300 AD and by default, 2320. The setting of the early years of a star-spanning society. Love that stuff.

Fading Suns because Frank Herbert's Dune series is the only set of books that I've ever read that make me feel more intelligent than I really am. And, Fading Suns IS the Duneverse with a few twists to avoid copyright violation.

FASA's Star Trek because role playing with Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Scotty is too much to pass up. The adventures in this game are intelligent and definitely capture the feel of the original series.

High Colonies for the same reasons I like 2300 above.

Blue Planet because it such a damn cool premise that it really should be a series of scifi movies, a television series, or a series of books or something.

What about you? What are the SciFi games that grab you by the short hairs and apply a little torque when you peruse them?
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

vertigo25 Citizen
Ditto on CT, of course.

D6 Star Wars was sooooo much fun. There were some very obvious mechanics problems, but it didn't matter. The rules really helped capture the fly by the seat of your pants feel of SW. Plus, WEG's supplemental material was amazing to say the least.

Fading suns has always intrigued me, but I've never read the rules. I, too, am a Dune fan. In fact, I actually see the Imperium society as somewhat Dune-esque (with the tech being Foundation-esque).

FASA's Star Trek games were okay. Using them, for me was more because I didn't have to convert anything to another rules system. Having said that; my best friend and I played a *ton* of Next Gen.

And... although I'll probably get pelted... I *loved* Star Frontiers. I'm thinking of drawing up some stuff for the alien races and ships to use in CT [img]smile.gif[/img]

I also really liked Cyberpunk back in the day... when it didn't seem like I was playing a historical game [img]smile.gif[/img]

Not an RPG, but I also really dug Battletech for a long time.

The graphics for Jovian Chronicles also always made me want to play the game, but I could never find anyone amongst my friends who would give it a try.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 06:28 PM

Klaus Citizen
Nope, Star Frontiers rocked.

D6 Star Wars ditto.

Spacemaster, despite the all the tables.

And Traveller, of course...
Old June 3rd, 2007, 07:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Ishmael Citizen
non rpg...WarpWar
Old June 3rd, 2007, 08:30 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome
Traveller - in the words of Stan Lee: 'Nuff Said

Trinity - for Psionics

FASA Star Trek - percentile dice makes a ton of sense

GURPS Space/Robots/Bio-Tech/Ultra-Tech I & II are interesting

Alternity for the same reason

and if you want even more detail...

FTL: 2448 - a ton of detail/tables, and easily converted to T20/d20 as well
Old June 3rd, 2007, 09:46 PM

Psion Citizen
MegaTraveller and T20 are my mainstays for OTU action.

I've been intrigued by Blue Planet, but never owned a copy.

Though I think the tech of Alternity is too fluffy, I like the chargen. It's a nice compromise between point buy and level based.

I like the GURPS:Space books for being a nice SF campaign building toolkit, but hate the GURPS system.

Spacemaster - though I find chargen intolerable, it has some really cool little tidbits, like the engineered human variants and the really cool spacecraft design system.

D20 Future - not my favorite (not for the least reason because it uses the same fluffy tech as alternity), but it has some great third party support.

IMTU: ct+ mt++ tne-- t4- gt t20++(**) mongt++ ru ge+ 3i jt a pi+ st+ ls kk- hi+ so
Old December 21st, 2020, 10:34 PM

Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Another thread resurrection, but no one mentioned the game that fascinates me the most, that being Metamorphosis Alpha, which predates Traveller by a year, and also Gamma World, both in their first editions.

I understand that some people view these two games as Dungeons and Dragons meets science-fiction, but I view that, especially for Metamorphosis Alpha, as more an issue of the 3D6 game mechanism than anything else. M-A has a range of fairly limited weapons when it comes to firearms and energy weapons, making a good blend of hand weaponry and advanced technology. A character with lower tech weaponry stands a good chance against a character with high-tech weaponry. The mutations and derivations of Terran animals and vegetation are great.

Gamma World has a highly used series of charts for figuring out the use of any artifacts found, which could be used for Traveller quite easily, especially when it comes to Ancient artifacts. It would also be useful for very high-tech characters to figure out how to use much lower tech equipment. Imagine a character with a Tech Level 15 home world trying to figure out how to operate a Tech Level 3 telegraph or semaphore.

I admit to liking somewhat quirky games, and these two fit the bill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old December 22nd, 2020, 07:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

Madmax Citizen

I've always been curious about Metamorphosis Alpha, but have never gotten to see a copy, let alone play the game. I do however love the idea that (at least in concept) the players (or at least PCs) don't know they are on a space ship, and it comes as a huge shock when they realize it.

Meanwhile, I like almost all SciFi games I have encountered. I notice that the OP did not actually limit the discussion to RPGs, so I am going to mention my all time favorite SciFi game: "Master of Orion" (first edition). I still play it frequently. Yeah, the AI sucks, cheats like a dog, but the game is still challenging and still gives some surprises even after 26 years. To me all the subsequent 4X scifi games (including MOO II, III, etc.) just add a ton of chrome to the basic ideas of MOO, bogging play down, with no compensating improvement in fun or interest to the game.

Of course, for RPGs, my favorite is Traveller. I mix and match rules. For some parts I prefer CT, for others I prefer MegaT, for others MongooseT.
New Era is RIGHT OUT!
Old December 22nd, 2020, 11:20 PM

Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
I've always been curious about Metamorphosis Alpha, but have never gotten to see a copy, let alone play the game. I do however love the idea that (at least in concept) the players (or at least PCs) don't know they are on a space ship, and it comes as a huge shock when they realize it.
. . . .
If you want, you can get a copy of the 1st Edition at DriveThru, just search for Metamorphosis Alpha 1st Edition by WardCo. It will cost you $5.99. I would recommend that over the later editions where they have changed the game system quite drastically, and for the worse in my opinion. Yes, I have a digital copy. There is also a set of the 1st Edition rules bundled with Jim Ward's articles in the Dragon on the game. I picked it up at a convention considerably less than the $80 for the copy I found online. It you can find it for less than that, it is worth getting. I have a hard copy, and there is a lot of good stuff in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old December 23rd, 2020, 03:03 AM

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

Out of so many SFRPGs that I had books for... besides Traveller... would be SPI's Universe. A close second would be FTL: 2448.