Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Software Solutions

Software Solutions Discussions on Traveller related software.

Old December 25th, 2020, 03:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Tiikeri Citizen
Default How can I extract data from the Traveller Map for a spreadsheet

How can I extract data from the Traveller Map (www.travellermap.com) for use in a spreadsheet?

I want to make a spreadsheet that I can sort to determine the type and number of starports in a subsector and things like that.

Thanks.
Old December 25th, 2020, 03:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

Look here:
https://travellermap.com/doc/api

E.g.:
https://travellermap.com/data/SPIN
Gives you the data for the Spinward Marches.
Old December 26th, 2020, 04:30 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

One way is to write a program that converts the imported map data into a CSV file. That's how I did it. Heck, the travellermap site might already do that for you these days.
Old December 26th, 2020, 07:13 AM

Gallery : 2
Visit tjoneslo's Blog
tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+

If you use the API, you can get it to dump the data out in a tab separated file (TSV), which you can very easily parsed by the spreadsheet.

The challenge with a comma separated file (CSV) is this is a poorly defined format and is easy to break in unexpected way. Especially given the names used for the Traveller worlds.

I know at least one person downloaded all the Traveller Map data and loaded it into a SQL database. I keep thinking I want to do the same thing, but not gotten around to it.
Marquis Hysyl - Hysyl (Deneb 2425)
Baron Regina - Regina (Spinward Marches 1910)
TAS member - Vipan (Empty Quarter 1038)
Be part of the history of Traveller:

https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
Old December 26th, 2020, 07:46 AM

AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

Quite, tab separated is probably easier and e.g. Excel should import it without problem:

https://travellermap.com/data/SPIN/tab

Replace SPIN with desired sector name, e.g.:

https://travellermap.com/data/DENEB/tab
Old December 26th, 2020, 10:37 AM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoneslo View Post
The challenge with a comma separated file (CSV) is this is a poorly defined format and is easy to break in unexpected way.
No, it's a well defined format with many bad implementations.
Old December 27th, 2020, 04:54 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

Quote:
The challenge with a comma separated file (CSV) is this is a poorly defined format and is easy to break in unexpected way. Especially given the names used for the Traveller worlds.
Commas in string names have never been an issue for me. I have the sector map files loaded up into MongoDB in JSON format these days.
Old December 27th, 2020, 04:22 PM
Baron

Gallery : 110
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++

Quote:
If you use the API, you can get it to dump the data out in a tab separated file (TSV), which you can very easily parsed by the spreadsheet.

I know at least one person downloaded all the Traveller Map data and loaded it into a SQL database. I keep thinking I want to do the same thing, but not gotten around to it.
Tabs are a bit safer than commas (parsing CSV files with text with commas is...interesting. At least HL7 uses the pipe / vertical bar for field separators, and those are a lot less likely to show up in text strings!). And at least one of my many incomplete Traveller trade programs accessed the TravellerMap and did suck the data for the current subsector into a SQLite DB. Theory was I cached it for existing sectors to minimize API calls. One of these days I'll probably finish the current version, or start all over again....the software world changes far too much in the last few years. Seems like every 2-5 years I am learning yet another framework to just do the same thing (this is my professional life: I know I can stick with whatever framework I want for my personal projects. )

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up Alpha
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up Alpha
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FIkuna E000410-A
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On Alellhttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9http://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Old December 28th, 2020, 12:20 AM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliver988 View Post
Tabs are a bit safer than commas (parsing CSV files with text with commas is...interesting. At least HL7 uses the pipe / vertical bar for field separators, and those are a lot less likely to show up in text strings!).
CSV has quoting rules just for this problem. Commas are not the only issue with CSV.

HL7 separators are configurable per message, and also has an escape character (also configurable per message).
Old December 29th, 2020, 11:12 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

BRover Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliver988 View Post
. . .
One of these days I'll probably finish the current version, or start all over again....the software world changes far too much in the last few years. Seems like every 2-5 years I am learning yet another framework to just do the same thing (this is my professional life: I know I can stick with whatever framework I want for my personal projects. )
Yeah, I hear you. I know a periodical editor who (natch) has to keep up with the latest version of Word, because contributors will send articles in a variety of formats, and he's got to work with them as sent. He tends to complain that, back 30 years ago, a program lasted lots longer and was simpler: he could not only figure out all the functions, but use them enough to learn them pretty much automatically. Nowadays, the programs do lots more, but he barely has time to find all the functions, much less learn them (and forget about doing it automatically) before it gets replaced--and he's got to start all over.

Our Traveller Universes clearly are at variance. Blessed be the variance!