Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Interstellar Scout Service

Imperial Interstellar Scout Service Details of the worlds of the Imperium (and beyond).

Old February 16th, 2021, 12:57 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 9
Grav_Moped Citizen+Grav_Moped Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav_Moped View Post
I found a set of deckplans I drew up back in the mid-80s for a Type S as a tailsitter 2:1 prolate spheroid.

Basically, most of the bridge and all of the living quarters and the engine room were a cylinder along the main axis inside the spheroid. Made the math a little easier.
Mis-remembered it (was thinking of a different design). Bridge, crew quarters, and cargo (cargo bay and Air/Raft) were on full-diameter decks. I think I'll keep that.
Quote:
Main bits of weirdness were that it had way too much cargo space (I think I was using LBB5 power plant fuel allocation) and that I made the double turret into two half-ton single turrets to ensure 360-degree coverage. For some reason I thought that was important, but it threw me off when I saw it again decades later, since I didn't remember whether I was using LBB2/HG or my ref's house rules to do the design.
Turns out it was absolutely the ref's house rules. Two computers, two actual turrets, six staterooms, and a bizarrely small fuel tank (except it wasn't fuel -- the house rules used atomic batteries of some sort). I'm sure it made sense at the time...
Quote:
I don't have image posting privileges and don't have a file-hosting service so you'll just have to use your imagination. It's probably better that way -- I was a fair draftsman, but I could do a lot better today.
I figured out how to post images, and I can do better, and am working on it right now.
...Except I'm working with MS Paint, so it might take a while.

And I'm running into the usual tailsitter issues. The cargo bay, main personnel airlock, and Air/Raft niche are 12m off the ground when the ship is parked. The dirtside personnel entrance is 6M off the ground with a ladder down one of the landing gear legs... (either that or people walk in through the drive bay, but that'd just be weird).

Also, I'm trying to decide how to lay out the crew quarters. If the ship was designed for Scout Service work, there's no reason not to put all the staterooms on a single deck since the crew is trustworthy. If it's for nominally commercial service, it might be preferable to move some of the Bridge tonnage into the upper crew deck and displace a couple of staterooms into the next deck down, so there's a bulkhead and a lockable hatch between the passengers and the flight crew quarters/bridge. Neither version makes for an interesting batteground for Snapshot or the AHL combat rules -- really short fields of fire, limited cover, and few alternate routes to sneak around through.

Then there's the question of whether I draw it as though there is artificial gravity available. If it's available and reliable, elevators might not be needed -- just ladder shafts kept at 0.1G while the rest of the ship is at 1G. If it's not, how does the Air/Raft even work? Maybe it's a ground car or helicopter instead, which means you've got to hoist it up to its parking space...
Old February 16th, 2021, 01:29 AM

Gallery : 0
kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Well Grav, if you haven't seen this page, it settled most of my 100 dton tailsitter golfball woes.

http://juliahwest.com/Traveller/Pete...golfballs.html

IMTU these golfballs are the tailsitter no artificial gravity fission powered ships, strip out the J-drive for TL8, standard for TL9, and then the belly landers start showing up at TL10 when a minimum of artificial gravity and inertial compensation becomes possible.
Old February 16th, 2021, 01:35 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

BRover Citizen

Andre Norton's cover ship reminded me of Marvin's head . . . .

OK, not so close. But it has the right attitude.

Our Traveller Universes clearly are at variance. Blessed be the variance!
Old February 16th, 2021, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
Well Grav, if you haven't seen this page, it settled most of my 100 dton tailsitter golfball woes.

http://juliahwest.com/Traveller/Pete...golfballs.html

IMTU these golfballs are the tailsitter no artificial gravity fission powered ships, strip out the J-drive for TL8, standard for TL9, and then the belly landers start showing up at TL10 when a minimum of artificial gravity and inertial compensation becomes possible.
I've seen it; pretty cool.

Tailsitters are nice because you can use them without invoking artificial gravity. On the other hand, if you have it then they're just using artificial gravity more efficiently (it only needs to pull "up", to counteract all but 1G of acceleration, instead of "forward" and "sideways" aka "up").

And I figured out how to get down from way up there on the personnel decks. The elevator shaft telescopes down to ground level, passing through a bit of the drive bay on the way out. Basically, where the golf ball at your link has the external iris valve below the engineering deck, there's a hatch hinged at the top that swings out to allow the elevator tube to protrude. The elevator doors do not open to the engineering deck directly; instead, it stops one level above (at the fuel deck level) so personnel can exit the elevator into a space with a floor hatch to the engineering deck. However, when the elevator tube is retracted, it exposes a hatch in the side of the engineering deck. This allows bringing drive components directly into the drive bay to facilitate repairs.

Here's a rough sketch. (The blue rectangle at the equator is the turret; I'm posting some scribbles from my work in progress.)

Note that there's space to extend the elevator to the top deck (the bridge "cockpit"). Security issues suggest that this might not be advisable.

Last edited by Grav_Moped; February 16th, 2021 at 01:29 PM..
Old February 16th, 2021, 03:41 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

You could look to the real world for inspiration. A quick search will show you the plans and a concept cut away for the Space X Lunar Lander and Mars Lander Starship variants.
Old February 16th, 2021, 06:55 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

For me, it's more a question of hull price.

The default cost is halved.
Old February 16th, 2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
You could look to the real world for inspiration. A quick search will show you the plans and a concept cut away for the Space X Lunar Lander and Mars Lander Starship variants.
Looks like they're using built-in cranes to get equipment and personnel down past the fuel-tanks-and-engines stack, from a quick look. Sensible approach, and I'm not sure how else you'd do it.
Old February 16th, 2021, 04:30 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Looks like they're using built-in cranes to get equipment and personnel down past the fuel-tanks-and-engines stack, from a quick look. Sensible approach, and I'm not sure how else you'd do it.

It's pretty much Space Angel territory, tailsitter gantries.

OTOH, convenient multi-point access when docking with a space station. It's just on planets that there would be grief.

And of course past a certain point, no structures just grav barges to load/unload at each level.
Old February 17th, 2021, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
It's pretty much Space Angel territory, tailsitter gantries.

Spoiler:

OTOH, convenient multi-point access when docking with a space station. It's just on planets that there would be grief.

And of course past a certain point, no structures just grav barges to load/unload at each level.
The Type S could get by with a boom lift

But you're going to need a heck of a K-Loader for a tailsitter Free Trader.
Old February 17th, 2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
The Type S could get by with a boom lift

But you're going to need a heck of a K-Loader for a tailsitter Free Trader.

Very starport B/C.

For a starport D, probably a ramp.