Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > 2300/2320AD > 2300AD & 2320

2300AD & 2320 Discussion of the original 2300AD from GDW, the revised 2300 from Mongoose Publishing, or QLI's 2320AD.

Old December 18th, 2018, 08:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon C View Post
My belief is that if stutterwarp can be used as a WMD, the French would have done so against the Kafers in retaliation for atrocities on Arcturus and Aurorae and I doubt any other nation involved in the war would have given more than a token protest.
Even if this was possible, the french (or the human race at large, for what's worth) have no explored beyond Arcturus when Triumfant Destiny attack began.

So, they did not attack the Kafers in any way, at leat until 2302 (I don't know much about 2320, but by then, for what I've read here, humans are counterattacking.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old December 18th, 2018, 08:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Brandon C Citizen+Brandon C Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
Even if this was possible, the french (or the human race at large, for what's worth) have no explored beyond Arcturus when Triumfant Destiny attack began.

So, they did not attack the Kafers in any way, at leat until 2302 (I don't know much about 2320, but by then, for what I've read here, humans are counterattacking.
I didn't mean immediately, but at any point in the war.

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com
Old December 19th, 2018, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

The "extra energy" seems to be drawn by pulling from extra dimensions, possibly compact ones, connected to the matter of the drive. For, when those hit zero, it goes boom.

As for acceleration forces overcome... the only real math needed is the maximum gravity gradient it can stutterwarp at, the hertz of cycle, and the duration of each stutter's non-newtonian time. If that hop takes more than say, about 1 nanosecond (1e-9), at the 300 kHz (3e5), we get to significant fractions of the second that it's not being accelerated. (3e-4 sec, or 0.1 millisecond ... If we go to a microsecond, (1e-6), we get 0.3 sec eaten, and thus can get to 1.3x the stutterwarp's 0.1C "while near anything interesting" speed. Hover outside the system, tho', and you still come in at a screaming fast .9 C+, with the only real issue being accuracy.

Any n-space FTL drive, be it warping space, quantum tunneling, projectable wormholes, or inertia suppression fields, turns the ship into a gravity bomb unless further handwavium is applied.

Hell, any decent sublight drive capable of 1G or better does the same.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old January 4th, 2019, 10:47 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

sudnadja Citizen

This also can act as a gravity tractor for solar system engineering purposes. You can place the ship (effectively place) at a static location above a planet somewhere, just above the stutterwarp wall, which will continuously attract the planet to the ship. Of course the mass will be very small and thus the acceleration will be very small, but relativistic mass of the ship will increase as it approaches c - to the point that the gravitational effect on the planet will become significant. Even without that consideration, it would be a very effective gravity tractor, moreso than the current real-world proposals.
Old January 5th, 2019, 09:14 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

epicenter00 Citizen+epicenter00 Citizen+epicenter00 Citizen+

Quote:
This is mostly handwaved in 2300AD setting, but it seems there's some safety that avoids it to happen, as no such collisions are reported in the entire (AFAIK) 2300AD literature.
There's two examples of some sort of accident occurring because of the results of Stutterwarp drives doing various foolery. I know these off the top of my head because it's bugged me for decades now.

The first is on p86 of the Colonial Atlas where the book discusses how the starship Carolina Dream vanished in the Mu Hercules (Hermes) system. It describes how it is thought the Carolina Dream "...while traveling at stutterwarp speeds, it collided with an object: possibly an element of the system's Oort cloud. Such accidents are not unheard of and usually result in the total obliteration of the vessel."

Since ships using SW are constantly flickering about, a "collision" would likely mean a materialization into another mass.

Meanwhile, while Stutterwarp coils don't explode, apparently Stutterwarp drives can fail in catastrophic explosions as described on the sidebar on page 14 of Bayern where during a shakedown cruise, an umbilical attaching the Bayern to the space station had not been detached. The computer decided it had to move both the ship and the space station it was tethered to and the "...overloaded stutterwarp suffered a critical failure and exploded, destroying itself and doing severe damage to one of the other units in the process."

Now both of these canon examples of Stutterwarp foolery bug me for different reasons; the Bayern explosion just seems plain ridiculous to me. You mean after over a century of using SW starships, drive software is still so dumb as to just assume a space station is a part of starship and tries to move both instead of just spitting back an error saying "dangerous mass overload, please re-check mass of starship" and then a physical circuit breaker just to be extra sure? You'd think this sort of problem would happen exactly once (or maybe a few times in depending on how tough guy "we dun need no regulations to get in the way" 2300 is), but regardless, within a few decades of SW drive working, you'd think there'd have been enough explosions that people would have figured out how to prevent accidents like this from occurring.

The other example of the Carolina Dream is more troubling. Apparently while rare, incidents where ships just destroy themselves by jumping into something do happen. While it wouldn't work for terrorists trying to ram a ship into a planet (around any decent gravity, SW efficiency drops so badly it can't even be used for station-keeping, which is pretty bad), it does again mean that some complex dance of sensors and software are what keeps a Stutterwarp ship from materializing into another object. But there's even a more troubling implications about Stutterwarp:

What about micrometeors and even tinier space debris - stuff that sensors would find too small to detect - wouldn't stuff like this be materializing into ship's systems and passengers every so often?

Then there's the idea of people materializing into radiation. So lets say your SW ship is zipping around the Life Zone of a system. Your ship is materializing onto a patch of space - while the area might be clear of physical debris, there's still radiation in that area. The ship appears, all this radiation is absorbed by the ship ... and its passengers. This is repeated thousands of times per second as the ship basically moves through space, scooping up all the solar radiation. Wouldn't that accumulated radiation turn into heat and ... basically cook the brains of everyone on board the ship within a few seconds of cruising around?
"... to be truly happy a man has to live absolutely in the present - no thought as what's gone before and no thought of what lies ahead. But a life of meaning, a man is condemned to wallow in the past and obsess about the future."
Old January 5th, 2019, 10:34 PM

BRJN Citizen+BRJN Citizen+

Do we HAVE to bring the stutterwarp drive along to crash into the planet?

Inspired (in part) by the Yamamoto mission from Larry Niven's Man-Kzin Wars series, let's do this:
Pick an uninhabited system with several large gas giants and a star, lined up so we can slingshot around several of them per pass. (It will help if the system also has a significant motion relative to the target system.) Using rockets / thrusters, accelerate a big heavy object (asteroid?) so it can slingshot around the sun and a gas giant or two. Only turn on the stutterwarp when you are well away from gravity wells, to reduce the multi-year transit time. When you are heading out of the system, use the stutterwarp to move you across / around the system so you are heading back towards an astronomical body for another slingshot. Repeat until you have a large enough near-C vector *which will have to be approximately in the direction of the target.* Now use the stutterwarp to travel to the system you want to hurt, and arrive at a point where your realspace vector will take you to the designated target. Maybe use the stutterwarp again to cut your time of passage through the system. At some point near the target, detach the stutterwarp and charge off at a tangent vector. Leave the big heavy speeding object on a collision course for system defenders to deal with … if they can.

The designer of the supercomputer that can calculate all that correctly, may earn a lifetime supply of Undercover Government Security Agents trying to become his best friends.
Old September 25th, 2019, 04:10 PM
Peer of the Realm

Bromo33333 Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to Bromo33333

We always played that stutterwarp wouldn't function in a gravity well. I don't know if there are rules with that stipulation, we probably cribbed it from CT and the 100 diameter limit.
Old February 19th, 2021, 02:19 AM
Citizen: SOC-5

LeagueOfSuns Citizen

Quote:
The idea in the OP (and in the post it derivates from) is to let the gravigy of a planet to accelerate your ship, then stutterwarping away to be accelerated again, and so mounting up speed until it becomes a kinetic superbomb.

Then stutterwarping until your target, and, as you say, your speed is kept, so letting the ship to crash at this monstruous speed against the target planet.
Once you're going at relativistic speed there's no way you can stay within a gravity well long enough to discharge your drive. You would have to build up your velocity in a system within 7.7 ly of your target. Which, as has been pointed out already, takes several years. I think those two factors combined would make this impractical for almost any application, military or terrorist.
Old February 20th, 2021, 05:29 PM

AtlanticFriend Citizen+AtlanticFriend Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagueOfSuns View Post
Once you're going at relativistic speed there's no way you can stay within a gravity well long enough to discharge your drive. You would have to build up your velocity in a system within 7.7 ly of your target. Which, as has been pointed out already, takes several years. I think those two factors combined would make this impractical for almost any application, military or terrorist.
Yes for military operations, but I can see a terrorist group willing to spend several years preparing for such a strike - even though it'd have to be a group ready to launch literally Earth-shattering attacks with little consideration for consequences.
Old February 20th, 2021, 08:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticFriend View Post
Yes for military operations, but I can see a terrorist group willing to spend several years preparing for such a strike - even though it'd have to be a group ready to launch literally Earth-shattering attacks with little consideration for consequences.
Curious, as I see it really the other way...

While as a military operation it would only work if situation stealmated for long, I don't believe a terrorist group could do this for years without detection, mostly if you think this must be done at 1 transit from your target, and that stutterwarp is quite easy to detect (and turning it off is not an option in this case)

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.