Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Software Solutions

Software Solutions Discussions on Traveller related software.

Old September 9th, 2017, 04:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+
Default Travellermap and CSV?

Is Travellermap and CSV a thing? Can CSV be imported/exported with it?
Old September 9th, 2017, 05:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

inexorabletash is the master cartogrphapher, so he is the man with the plan. I have compiled the Rebellion and 1248 data.

So, not as directly downloadable .CSV file but you can get the data three ways.

You get the sector data from the menu on the lefthanded side search menu. Type in the name of the sector and click on the selection "Raw Data"

You can use the Poster Maker - The Traveller Map to retreive a sector. Once selected, you copy and paste the data. It is column delimited.

Check the section API - The Traveller Map for other ways to retreive data.

The things to note are "canonicity" status, credited data source, and original UWP data format. Many in 1105 are not "official" as they have not gone thru the rigorous examination, reformat to T5, and approval by the powers that be. All outside the 1105 are in this status for lack of approval, if for no other reason. You can see the status at the bottom of a sector when highlighted.
Old September 9th, 2017, 07:11 PM

Gallery : 2
Visit tjoneslo's Blog
tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
Is Travellermap and CSV a thing? Can CSV be imported/exported with it?
What exactly are you interested in doing with the CSV data?

Probably the closest you will get is a Tab Delimited format:

https://travellermap.com/doc/api#sec...a-for-a-sector

https://travellermap.com/doc/fileformats#t5tab

Excel will, for example, be more than happy to read and correctly layout a tab separated file.
Marquis Hysyl - Hysyl (Deneb 2425)
Baron Regina - Regina (Spinward Marches 1910)
TAS member - Vipan (Empty Quarter 1038)
Be part of the history of Traveller:

https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
Old September 9th, 2017, 07:45 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

I've used the TABbed SEC format forever. Just recently started doing CSV on my own for all my traveller files. More versatile, does not introduce more bugs to code when reading/writing an CSV, and doesn't need its files to look pretty for human reading. I have apps that can read them and display them in whatever fashion I need.

I use CSVs to save my characters and worlds in. Have some videos about it, while I'm trying things out.

Last edited by ShawnDriscoll; September 10th, 2017 at 04:11 AM..
Old September 9th, 2017, 08:25 PM

Gallery : 1
inexorabletash has disabled reputation

Tab delimited is as close as there is. Should be easy to convert back and forth with Excel or Google Sheets, etc. They can import tab-delimited and output CSV.
Old September 10th, 2017, 01:29 PM
Baron

Gallery : 110
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by inexorabletash View Post
Tab delimited is as close as there is. Should be easy to convert back and forth with Excel or Google Sheets, etc. They can import tab-delimited and output CSV.
Or depending on how you import them and which language, just substitute tabs for commas. All the languages I've ever dealt with (including all scripting languages) have replace/substitute/pattern matching built in.

I'm not a fan of CSV particularly, but then I've had to import address, patient, phone switch and all sorts of data that may have commas in there. But then I am also old school and used fixed width and implied decimal files (may COBOL never die ) HL7 uses the vertical bar, then the carrot (|, ^) to mark fields, and repetitions within fields.

Currently I am using the TravellerMap API in a UWP program. Took the JSON, auto-generated a class, and the import works like magic. Gotta love a good serializer! (I was, and still vaguely am, sort of hoping to get this at least attempted to the Windows store before end of year. I have serious doubts about that actually happening, but hey, its still fun to play. Of course, it is also a remake of a program I wrote almost 10 years ago, but that used XML as the back end storage, and now I'm using SqlLite just because it seemed more interesting. And I actually sort of like XAML)

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up Alpha
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up Alpha
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FIkuna E000410-A
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On Alellhttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9http://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/