Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > T20 - Traveller for the D20 System

T20 - Traveller for the D20 System Open discussion on the D20 version of Traveller!

Old December 29th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Citizen: SOC-6

Gallery : 0
pftmadness Citizen
Unhappy

Had T20 for only a week. Looks great but it still seems to have incorporated some of the absolute bananas from the core D20 system - i.e. some of the feats.
I mean what is the point of Weapon Focus (+1 to hit with a PARTICULAR gun). Big deal.

Also. Dodge. +1 AC vs one opponent. Whoopee do.
Etc, etc.

It is the same in AD&D (apologies if this is blasphemy on a Traveller site!). Players soon learn not to bother selected them.

What does anyone else think. I just think its a flaw in the D20 system, rather than Traveller but I'd in interested in others thoughts, especiall those who also play D&D.
Old December 29th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 8
BigBadRon Citizen
Some of those feats are prerequisites for others. Dodge for instance is required before you can take Mobility which gives a +4 AC bonus vs Attacks of Opportunity.

Revenge is a dish best served cold? No, ice cream is a dish best served cold...
Old December 29th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Jame Citizen
I've never trusted feats that looked like skills (i.e. Dodge - it's a skill, which all can and should learn), although some, like Absolute Direction (for example), which are not learnable, I've always held to be feats. Though come to think of it, I've never held with non-cross-class skills on the basis that any class should be able to learn any skill (though certain classes wouldn't learn certain skills).
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old December 29th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-6

pftmadness Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by BigBadRon:
Some of those feats are prerequisites for others. Dodge for instance is required before you can take Mobility which gives a +4 AC bonus vs Attacks of Opportunity.
I hear what you are saying, but even these 'higher' feats are not up to it. Course,that's just my opinion. But Weapon Focus followed by Weapon Spec, just to get +1 to hit and +2 damage, with one and only one weapon....
I just do not think that the Feat lists are equal, which means player will always pick the best ones....???
Old December 29th, 2002, 09:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

vutpakdi Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by pftmadness:

I just do not think that the Feat lists are equal, which means player will always pick the best ones....???
Yes, some feats are more powerful than others. For example, look at Toughness (+3 HP in D&D) vs. one of the Weapons Feats (whole slew of new weapons).

But, whether or not it makes sense for someone to choose a feat depends on the player's style. A power/munchkin gamer will generally do his best to find the feats that give them the most advantages. On other hand, a player who is more heavily oriented towards role playing a particular character concept might choose a feat that makes sense for the character, even if it isn't a particularly powerful feat.

Ron
Old December 30th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

notagoodusername Citizen
Quote:
I hear what you are saying, but even these 'higher' feats are not up to it. Course,that's just my opinion. But Weapon Focus followed by Weapon Spec, just to get +1 to hit and +2 damage, with one and only one weapon....
Yes, but a +2 to damage is a big thing in T20, with Lifeblood being so precious and all. It can make much more of a difference than in D&D where by the time you can get it Fighters have 4d10+ hit points. A pistol doing 1d10+2 instead of 1d10 is more of an issue when you have, say, 14 Lifeblood at *all* levels. Likewise, the +1 to hit is worth more in a low combat game. My players don't usually shy from combat is D20 games - they do in Traveller d20!

Try it out before you change it - then change away if you still don't like it!

I do agree about dodge, and my playing has made me put it at +2. More worthwhile. Then again, I'm still looking for a balanced defense-based over AC-based system.

Shane

Reality is subjective - and not one of the subjects I studied.
Old December 30th, 2002, 09:01 AM

Cleon the Mad Citizen
Quote:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BigBadRon:
</font>[/QUOTE]Well...if one has a fairly low BAB, a +1 to hit might be just the trick. Plus, the +2 damage, if I understand correctly would be two more points to chew through AR. Consider this, if someone rolls a "6" with a weapon doing one dice of damage vrs someone in cloth armor, the armor will asorb all the damage for purposes of lifeblood damage. With the +2 damage, you've now done 2 lifeblood points. Okay, even Joe NPC has a Con of 10 and thus 10 Lifeblood...but at least you've done something to him now up and beyond stamina point damage.

(Then again, if you want to take Joe NPC alive, doing only stamina damage might be more productive then whittling away at his lifeblood points due to a feat giving a damage bonus...but I digress)
Old December 31st, 2002, 03:59 AM
Citizen: SOC-11

Vanguard Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Shane Mclean:
I do agree about dodge, and my playing has made me put it at +2. More worthwhile. Then again, I'm still looking for a balanced defense-based over AC-based system.

Shane
You might take a look at Ken Hood's "Grim-n-Gritty Hit Point and Combat Rules"
from here. I havn't used them yet, but the class-based defense bonus (in lieu of an armor based AC bonus) looks like it will be very useful. The martial arts and psi rules also look nice.
Old December 31st, 2002, 11:16 AM

lord irial Citizen
One of my biggest problem feats was Toughness. Three whole hit points, yippee.

When I got and started playing Neverwinter Nights, I notced that Toughness was now +1 hit point per level- this is now the version of the feat I use in my tabletop D&D game.

For T20, I would probably do it as your choice, when you take the feat, of +1 Stamina per level, or +2 Lifeblood points when you take the feat. You can take the feat twice, but only once for each version of the feat.
Old January 12th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

clementk Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by lord irial:
One of my biggest problem feats was Toughness. Three whole hit points, yippee.

When I got and started playing Neverwinter Nights, I notced that Toughness was now +1 hit point per level- this is now the version of the feat I use in my tabletop D&D game.
IMO too powerful for a feat but who knows it could be changed in D&D 3.5. [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]

The example from D&D is a 1st level wizard with toughness, really helpful at that stage. A 1d4 with possible - from Con doesn't go that far. T20 version: the Academic that goes to the gym every day after the lectures are done.

As always, YMMV IYTU...

Kevin