Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old October 23rd, 2010, 12:57 PM
gloriousbattle

Gallery :
Default Most useful CT product

I may get my head bitten off for this, but the one CT product that I use in EVERY game, is the Judge's Guild Traveller Referee screen. I especially love the combat tables, which take the endless searching around in Characters and Combat and simplify all the modifiers into a single table.

One thing I always hated about the GDW design staff was the way they would take a wonderful, simple idea and find a way to have you searching through the rulebooks and doing endless math to make it work. JG, on the other hand, could sometimes be really great about simplifying this sort of thing.

So, ya wanna know the roll for a laser carbine to hit mesh armor at medium range? One simple cross-index yields a 6. Using the Traveller tables on the other hand, you have to start with a base 8+, go to the weapons vs. armor table to yield a +1 for mesh, and to the weapons at range table to yield a +1 at medium. Again, you get the same result, so not too difficult... right up until you've done the same for a dozen different weapons in the same combat. Then, of course, you still have to work in the individual character's skills and stats, and we're talking major headache.

I went so far as to design a character sheet with a combat table built in:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/39961722/T...haracter-Sheet

so that, for the players, everything could be calculated before the game begins.

Stuff like that really can go a long way towards making a game playable.

Last edited by gloriousbattle; October 25th, 2010 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: 'cuz.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 01:20 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Jame Citizen

It is a nice screen; I saw a friend's copy once. My only complaint about it was what they did with the weapon damages. (If I ever have a copy I'll just ignore that table, though.)
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old October 23rd, 2010, 01:36 PM
gloriousbattle

Gallery :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
It is a nice screen; I saw a friend's copy once. My only complaint about it was what they did with the weapon damages.
That was strange, with body pistols doing 3d-8, for example. Are those just typos, or do they harken back to the VERY first printing of Traveller?

Either way, you can leave them as they are (which, in some cases, makes the very lethal Traveller combat more survivable) or change them pretty quick.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
It is a nice screen; I saw a friend's copy once. My only complaint about it was what they did with the weapon damages. (If I ever have a copy I'll just ignore that table, though.)
Those are CT 1E damages. We (Cryton and I) checked against his 1977 printing CT.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:50 PM
gloriousbattle

Gallery :

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Those are CT 1E damages. We (Cryton and I) checked against his 1977 printing CT.
I thought it might be something like that.

Which begs the question whether the body pistol was, in fact, a rubber band gun.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 03:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 6
Gray Lensman Citizen
Default have it but never use it...

because from the very beginning there have been hand rules that have invalidated every ref screen for every rpg I have played.

Of course this means I would not consider it the most useful CT product
Old October 23rd, 2010, 05:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

Black Vulmea Citizen

Snapshot.

Not only is a fun game in its own right, but it allows me to switch between the more abstract but quick to run combat system in Book 1 and the more time-intensive but tactically rich experience of Snapshot.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

NW_Paul Citizen

76 Patrons

Awesome resource for spur of the moment adventures!
Old October 23rd, 2010, 08:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Ishmael Citizen

Striker
Old October 23rd, 2010, 08:59 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

beowulf2044 Citizen

The JG screen did indeed recreate the very first Traveller weapons damages, and yes, the Body Pistol did 3D6-8

Now here's the bad news:

Every Classic Traveller Weapon Damage table ever after, including the Snapshot Table, was in error as far as the damages for the Body Pistol and the Cutlass were concerned.

The Body Pistol does 2D6, and the Cutlass does 3D6. (As opposed to their original 3D6-8 and 2D6+4)

The proper weapons damages are listed correctly in Supplement 4, Citizens of the Imperium.

I've mentioned this before, and have received an amazing amount of flack for my trouble. So don't believe me; check the official Traveller Classic Errata.