Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register


Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Cleon Memorial Library

The Cleon Memorial Library For discussion of Traveller fiction, both official and fan-written. Fan-written drafts are explicitly welcome.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 10th, 2020, 10:40 AM
Leitz's Avatar
Leitz Leitz is offline
Baron
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wretched hive of scum and villany
Posts: 2,765
Gallery : 0
Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+
Default [Semi-OT] CritiqueCircle

Hey all, for those of us who want to improve our writing craft, (and some of us really need improvement!) CritiqueCircle is useful. You submit a story and get feedback from various other members.

There's a free level you can join at, and the system works on the concept of "credits". You start off with enough credits to submit one story and you can earn credits by critiquing other's work. Most of the pieces are in the 1K-3K range, and you need to write a decent (300+ words) critique, but it becomes easy to do after a few tries.
__________________
Chronicler, the Domici War
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old November 24th, 2020, 07:26 PM
ShawnDriscoll's Avatar
ShawnDriscoll ShawnDriscoll is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 933
Gallery : 0
ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+
Default

Interesting. I just recently bought some writing software so I could write Traveller adventures.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old December 8th, 2020, 02:03 AM
Tiikeri Tiikeri is offline
Citizen: SOC-12
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 270
Gallery : 0
Tiikeri Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
Interesting. I just recently bought some writing software so I could write Traveller adventures.
Which writing software did you get?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old March 13th, 2021, 02:18 PM
ShawnDriscoll's Avatar
ShawnDriscoll ShawnDriscoll is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 933
Gallery : 0
ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiikeri View Post
Which writing software did you get?
Scrivener and Scapple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fovean View Post
Writing is hard. There’s no software that will make it easy.
Very true. For me, it's like programming. Putting my thoughts to printed page, etc. Then there is the layout/format design to do. And the art. And so on.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 13th, 2021, 04:31 PM
whartung whartung is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,851
Gallery : 0
whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
Very true. For me, it's like programming. Putting my thoughts to printed page, etc. Then there is the layout/format design to do. And the art. And so on.
The hard part for me is that the writing is "unprompted".

Most of my "writing" is prompted by something else. A question to be answered, an opinion, perhaps unsolicited, offered. In either case, it's a reactionary thing.

Arguably, so is my programming. Here is Task, make computer do Task.

The game for me is I need to break down a story/article/book in to the series of questions I'm being asked, and then respond to them. With something as a driver, it's really hard to put stuff to "paper" for me.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 13th, 2021, 08:28 PM
Fovean Fovean is offline
Citizen: SOC-12
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Crescent City
Posts: 420
Gallery : 0
Fovean Citizen+Fovean Citizen+
Default

Where I stumble is the rewrites. Iím pretty good at getting things down, sometimes rambling, sometimes concise, sometimes way too terse. But once Iíve ďfinishedĒ I have a hard time getting back into it, to shape it and sharpen it. Thus many of my efforts never see the light of day.

Itís disappointing at times, my apparent apathy, but I donít let it get me down. For me, most often, the process is the product.
__________________
Knight of the Iridium Throne : Meiz (Core 2225)
Knight of Deneb : Helifil (Reft 0313)
SEH with Diamonds : The Assault on Menorb
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 14th, 2021, 01:33 AM
ShawnDriscoll's Avatar
ShawnDriscoll ShawnDriscoll is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 933
Gallery : 0
ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
The hard part for me is that the writing is "unprompted".

Most of my "writing" is prompted by something else. A question to be answered, an opinion, perhaps unsolicited, offered. In either case, it's a reactionary thing.

Arguably, so is my programming. Here is Task, make computer do Task.

The game for me is I need to break down a story/article/book in to the series of questions I'm being asked, and then respond to them. With something as a driver, it's really hard to put stuff to "paper" for me.
Characters should be character-driven is all. Just like when role-playing. They'll write for themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old December 8th, 2020, 10:55 AM
whartung whartung is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,851
Gallery : 0
whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
Interesting. I just recently bought some writing software so I could write Traveller adventures.
Does it work? Did the software write Traveller adventures?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old December 8th, 2020, 11:44 AM
Proneutron Proneutron is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 847
Gallery : 16
Proneutron Citizen+Proneutron Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitz View Post
Hey all, for those of us who want to improve our writing craft, (and some of us really need improvement!) CritiqueCircle is useful. You submit a story and get feedback from various other members.

There's a free level you can join at, and the system works on the concept of "credits". You start off with enough credits to submit one story and you can earn credits by critiquing other's work. Most of the pieces are in the 1K-3K range, and you need to write a decent (300+ words) critique, but it becomes easy to do after a few tries.
How many of the "critics" are successfully published authors?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old December 9th, 2020, 01:14 AM
Fovean Fovean is offline
Citizen: SOC-12
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Crescent City
Posts: 420
Gallery : 0
Fovean Citizen+Fovean Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneutron View Post
How many of the "critics" are successfully published authors?
Does that really matter? It seems the point of the OP was to offer an opportunity for new and unestablished writers to help each other and learn to grow together.

As someone who has written a Traveller adventure that was actually published, and then subsequently failed to deliver on more ambitious ideas, Iíd say check it out before you throw shade.

Writing is hard. Thereís no software that will make it easy.
__________________
Knight of the Iridium Throne : Meiz (Core 2225)
Knight of Deneb : Helifil (Reft 0313)
SEH with Diamonds : The Assault on Menorb
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OTU Only: T5SS Semi-Official Thread DonM Imperial Interstellar Scout Service 600 May 16th, 2020 09:55 AM
US Army rifles going semi-auto now? SpaceBadger Ship's Locker 46 September 5th, 2013 11:26 PM
Semi OT: Some new smallarms Todg Ship's Locker 5 January 19th, 2007 04:56 PM
[Semi-OT] What programming language should I learn? Golan2072 Software Solutions 60 June 9th, 2006 11:17 AM
Semi-pointless Feats in T20 pftmadness T20 - Traveller for the D20 System 21 January 29th, 2003 08:35 AM

This website and its contents are copyright ©2010- Far Future Enterprises. All rights reserved. Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises .
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.