Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:49 AM
Citizen: SOC-2

Gallery : 0
Ridley Citizen
Default Solo traveller

Who all out there has tried traveller solo? Advice? Table suggestions?

www.accessprotocol.wordpress.com
Old October 2nd, 2012, 01:37 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Basically, you need to develop a large number of encounter tables for various conditions, and decide if your PC can have additional hirelings to assist. The supplements that you will need are 1001 Characters, Animal Encounters, Citizens of the Imperium, 76 Patrons, and Veterans to give you some encounter lists to work from to generate your specific encounter table. Then determine what world or worlds you are going to be adventuring in, and what character class fits you the best. Once you know what world or worlds you are operating in, you can generate encounter tables for those worlds from the above supplements, without adding your own biases. That is if you wish to generate the entire set up yourself.

Some of the published adventures lend themselves to solitaire play, one being the Chamax Plague, as the Chamax can be run as automated attackers, and there is a range of situations to deal with. Just assume that you are one of the off-world commanders of local units, and have at it with one of the characters provided.

I used this system while playing Basic Blue Book D&D at Walter Reed Army Medical Center (which no longer exists) when I was spending several months there in a hospital bed. I have played some Traveller the same way. You have to be honest with the die roll though. If it says that you are in trouble, you are, and if you are killed, you are dead.

Also, using some form of miniatures helps too.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 04:31 AM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

If you ever come across a game called Battlelords of the 23rd Century, there's a bunch of tables that you'd probably like. These are sections in the book called “Everyone is a Little Freaky”, “I was just growing up”, and “The Fickle Finger of Fate”. These are all random event tables - mostly for character generation. But I'd bet they could be modified for your game. I wonder if I could scan them for you under Fair Use.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:10 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 15
samuelvss Citizen

I have run solo trading campaigns; fewer tables, and a much more spartan campaign as far as details are concerned.

SVSS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Leave the gun; take the cannoli."
Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:55 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

kilmore Citizen

Where are you at that you have to play solo? Or do you love Traveller and just don't like other people?
Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:23 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmore View Post
Where are you at that you have to play solo? Or do you love Traveller and just don't like other people?
It's easy to find Players, it's hard to find Referees.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:35 PM
Baron

Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+

I've run solo merchant games to "have money" as I was very poor at the time. Well, still am, so maybe doing it again soon.

Leitz
Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:28 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

nDervish Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmore View Post
Can't speak for the OP, but I'm in southern Sweden, where I don't know much of anyone (never mind other gamers) and, as an immigrant, I speak next-to-no Swedish. (Granted, pretty much everyone here speaks English, but I always feel guilty making them use English for my sake.)

So, in theory at least, I play a good bit of solo Traveller. Lately, though, I've been doing more writing software to streamline playing Traveller than actually playing.

Well, OK, and I try to not like other people, too...
Old October 11th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-1

Wiganer34 Citizen

Any chance of making some of that software available for general usage?

Also, anyone used fantasy grounds and mythic games master emulator to run solo sessions?
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Trouble Citizen

I have done Robinsonade scenairos where a charcacter is alone on a world. These work OK as a solo and use mainly the animal ecnounter tables. I have used the event roll to redirect to a second table specific to the world to indicate ruins or other unusual finds. It isn't great but it works to fill lunch time on the night shift.

Trouble