Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old April 10th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

Gallery : 0
castlebravo Citizen
Well then the contact surface area is defined by a square/rectangle = width of tender x width of rider.
Old April 10th, 2005, 08:58 AM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen
I have a nasty feeling that by the time you've tweaked this to take account of sensors, radiators, hatches, etc, it's going to be simpler just to use surface area as per FF&S...
Old April 10th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
For sensors and comms gear it would be 1 hardpoint per complete system, i.e. just take off one hardpoint to represent all commo/sensor gear.

Traveller has magic heat sinks hidden somewhere, so the radiators are out (unless power plants are made much smaller, but then... )

I wouldn't bother with personal airlocks and hatches, they'd be too small to bother with.

And the idea is to take all of this into account "behind the scenes" and present the ship designer with the number of hardpoints remaining to accomodate the six items listed earlier.

LBB2 simplicity but with a few more simple options
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:39 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation
What about turret displacement? In HG (whatever ed. the reprints are) you can mix lasers in a turret, but the tonnage is based on the weapon you place in the turret ("regardless of the number of weapons of that type mounted in it."). How do you all figure the displacement? Do you average, or add?
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:28 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Turret displacement is one of those things that needs to be defined carefully.

TNE got this right IMHO by giving each turret a definite size to install the weaponry inside.

In CT the turret took up no space at all, it is the fire control that costs 1 ton.

HG then confused the issue by saying its the turret that has the weight, regardless of how many weapons it carries.

The simple solution is probably replace the idea of single, double , and triple turrets with small, medium, and large lasers.
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:03 AM
Pickles

Gallery :
Quote:
Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
The simple solution is probably replace the idea of single, double , and triple turrets with small, medium, and large lasers.
It may be simple, but is it canon? I've always thought those weird triple turrets were great, like little baby battleship turrets. Reinforces the whole Traveller navy-not-airforce thing.

I've always liked the Striker design approach to turrets, but I would prefer a more modular system. A couple of decades from now I might actually have finished my HG/Striker/Book 2 hybrid.
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation
As of right now, I am taking the largest of the numbers to determine the "size" of the turret. So a triple turret with 1 beam laser, 1 pulse laser, and 1 sandcaster still takes 1 dTon.