Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old April 10th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Hey, the table just disappeared
Old April 10th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
What if, instead of grappling the craft length ways the grappled craft is rear down to the tender?
i.e.
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> ### ### ### = 3 riders
[][][][][][][][] = tender
### ### ### = 3 riders

vs.
# # #
# # #
# # #
[][][][][][][][]
# # #
# # #
# # #</pre>[/QUOTE]
Old April 10th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

castlebravo Citizen
Wasn't thought out enough.. so I took it out.

[img]graemlins/file_21.gif[/img]
Old April 10th, 2005, 07:29 AM

castlebravo Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
What if, instead of grappling the craft length ways the grappled craft is rear down to the tender?
That could be, but if the rear of the rider is in contact with the surface of the tender as you say, in my mind that puts the main propulsion system against the tender's hull. Sounds like a safety violation! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I also was thinking in order to maintain positive contact with the grappels under the stress of acceleration, a better than 1/6 surface area contact would need to be maintained.
Old April 10th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Noble

Quote:
Originally posted by Castlebravo15:
At this point I would use whatever formula you use to relate displacement tons to surface area to convert and solve for your standard ‘X’ tonnage value (taking into account a 1/4 area value).
So you'd end up with something like:
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">size of no. of
carried hardpoints
craft for grapple
10 1 per 6 craft carried
20 1 per 5 craft carried
30 1 per 4 craft carried
40-50 1 per 3 craft carried
60-100 1 per 2 craft carried
200-500 1
600-1000 2
2000 4
3000 5 etc. </pre>[/QUOTE]
Old April 10th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Noble

Quote:
Originally posted by Castlebravo15:
That could be, but if the rear of the rider is in contact with the surface of the tender as you say, in my mind that puts the main propulsion system against the tender's hull. Sounds like a safety violation! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Contra-grav launch

Quote:
I also was thinking in order to maintain positive contact with the grappels under the stress of acceleration, a better than 1/6 surface area contact would need to be maintained.
This could be another of the things that's configuration dependent. That isn't a bad thing in itself, but I want to do all the crunch stuff in the background so that what is left looks simple... even though it isn't really
Old April 10th, 2005, 07:44 AM

castlebravo Citizen
Quote:
Contra-grav launch
Correct me if I wrong, but don't you need a strong gravitational force (like a planet) to get those pesky things to work. That's why you can't fly your grav tanks from planet to planet in system, only to low orbit... right?
Old April 10th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Noble

Depends on the ruleset [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]

You could just use an electromagnetic launch device, even a steam catapult should get the rider clear enough to fire up its propulsion system...
Mind you, if the magic reactionless thrusters are at play IYTU, then they can be used (I don't use them myself... ).
Old April 10th, 2005, 08:06 AM

castlebravo Citizen
Quote:
You could just use an electromagnetic launch device, even a steam catapult should get the rider clear enough to fire up its propulsion system...
I would prefer a trebuchet to steam catapult

Either way, if I'm the captain of that tender, the last thing I want is someone to have the ability to fire their thrusters into my hull... as an accident or otherwise.

Even on a flight line your not technically permitted to park a car facing an aircraft.

I would, however, run with your idea that the rider is connected perpendicular to the tender, but with the rear facing space. Either bow against the tender's hull, or so that the rider is connected by the smallest possible surface area--like a cross.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">
# # #
[#][][#][][#][
# # # </pre>[/QUOTE]
Old April 10th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Noble

That would work too [img]smile.gif[/img]