Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Adventurers

Adventurers Tell us your Traveller character stats, skills, and details.

Old April 24th, 2019, 01:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby-w View Post
IBM guarantees parts for 40 years for their mainframe products, and DEC used to use manufacturing techniques designed for avionics to produce components for the VAX. You can make electronics with a nice, long shelf life if you want to spend money.
IBM and DEC don't have their electronics running around in snow, sand, mud, rain, and 110 degree heat in the hands of someone named "Joe".

Quote:
Having said this, a conventional projectile weapon is purely mechanical, and ammunition technology has allowed it to have shelf lives of half a century or more while still remaining viable. One could argue that with current technology we don't really have a pressing need to go with radically different technology than we have now - maybe bigger and more powerful if some significant improvement in body armour technology becomes widespread.
Yes, conventional weapons are, but we were talking about Gauss Rifles -- which are unconventional even if ubiquitous.

The AR-15 pattern rifle is the US Military's longest serving long arm (50+ years now I guess). It's fair to say that fire arm technology suitable for the field has plateaued.

Companies and militaries have been working on next generation rifles for quite some time, but nothing of note has broken through in terms of high technology. They seem to have most of the problems with bullpups solved apparently, however.
Old April 24th, 2019, 11:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

Panzerkraken Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Panzerkraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
The AR-15 pattern rifle is the US Military's longest serving long arm (50+ years now I guess). It's fair to say that fire arm technology suitable for the field has plateaued.

Companies and militaries have been working on next generation rifles for quite some time, but nothing of note has broken through in terms of high technology. They seem to have most of the problems with bullpups solved apparently, however.
I think you'll find that honor belongs to the M14, still in active service as the Mk 14 EBR.

However, I agree with you on the firearms technology plateauing. I had a nice, rousing argument the other day with a friend over bullpup vs. traditional vs. alternate layout (G11/P90) for action in a combat rifle. We never did settle on one being better than the other, it all comes down to what's comfortable for the users.
Knight of Realm (LISH 3019 SHAGE B200835-C)
Old April 25th, 2019, 12:16 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

CaptRet Citizen+CaptRet Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fovean View Post
Never really saw the concern, but weve always played in Outland/Firefly type campaigns where rifles, pistols and knives were to be expected. But the heavier stuff we always steered away from, even for Army and Marine characters. Kept it special when every once in a while a VRF Gauss gun or a PGMP was in play.
Maybe he shipped it home a few pieces at a time ?
Old April 25th, 2019, 03:28 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

I did a little research on the ssubject of advanced combat rifles and the US Army last week, to figure out likely Confederation slugthrower policies.

They conducted tests thirty years ago to find a replacement, and it seems that unless there was at least an overall fifty percent improvement in performance, which none of the candidates had, it wasn't worth their while.

They concluded that required High Explosive tipped bullets.

However, it does seem that the rifle and probably the cartridge slowly evolved since then, to suit current doctrines and battlefield experiences.

The next big innovations are likely reliable caseless rounds and dead on sighting and tracking, meaning lighter ammunition and one shot one kill.

There's going to be a tension between outranging your opponents and closing the gap.
Old April 25th, 2019, 11:01 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

CaptRet Citizen+CaptRet Citizen+

Beginning in 2014, the US Army began evaluation of a "smart rifle" (made by Tracking Point), that has laser sights and a built-in computer. The ACR is not long in coming.
Quoting from the Daily Mail article:

A laser rangefinder is used by the shooter looking through the scope to identify the target that he or she wants to hit.The high-tech sight then takes into account humidity, wind and the typical ballistic drop from a bullet fired over a distance.Once the target has been selected, the scope provides cross-hairs which have to be lined up with the pin that is dropped on the target. To ensure accuracy, the shooter can not even squeeze the trigger unless the cross-hairs and pin are aligned.
Old April 25th, 2019, 05:12 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
I did a little research on the ssubject of advanced combat rifles and the US Army last week, to figure out likely Confederation slugthrower policies.

They conducted tests thirty years ago to find a replacement, and it seems that unless there was at least an overall fifty percent improvement in performance, which none of the candidates had, it wasn't worth their while.

They concluded that required High Explosive tipped bullets.

However, it does seem that the rifle and probably the cartridge slowly evolved since then, to suit current doctrines and battlefield experiences.

The next big innovations are likely reliable caseless rounds and dead on sighting and tracking, meaning lighter ammunition and one shot one kill.

There's going to be a tension between outranging your opponents and closing the gap.

Since that contest was actually called ACR, I'm assuming that is what prompted that naming and firearm qualities in our game rifle, with built-in assumptions that some advanced tech really better then current panned out.

One of the things I like about original Striker was that interplay between armor and weapon development, with sometimes offense and sometimes protection having the upper hand.
Old April 25th, 2019, 05:39 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRet View Post
Beginning in 2014, the US Army began evaluation of a "smart rifle" (made by Tracking Point), that has laser sights and a built-in computer. The ACR is not long in coming.
Quoting from the Daily Mail article:

A laser rangefinder is used by the shooter looking through the scope to identify the target that he or she wants to hit.The high-tech sight then takes into account humidity, wind and the typical ballistic drop from a bullet fired over a distance.Once the target has been selected, the scope provides cross-hairs which have to be lined up with the pin that is dropped on the target. To ensure accuracy, the shooter can not even squeeze the trigger unless the cross-hairs and pin are aligned.

To me that would be the advent of the 'electronic sight' from CT.

The game ACR proper is a bit beastly- in Striker it's penetration and effective/long range is equal to the TL6 HMG, I'm assuming that's effectively an M2 .50 cal. To me, the ACR is a hightech G11 that works out the bugs.

The ACR is quite the leap-small ammo packing such a wallop, probably materials technology to allow for a barrel that is handling very high pressures, whatever quality measures for said barrel to handle auto fire, and a lot of recoil tech to handle the increased power.

The common rifleman carrying a handheld M2 in rifle form certainly is a jump in firepower.
Old April 25th, 2019, 06:04 PM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
The ACR is quite the leap-small ammo packing such a wallop, probably materials technology to allow for a barrel that is handling very high pressures, whatever quality measures for said barrel to handle auto fire, and a lot of recoil tech to handle the increased power.
I have always interpreted the ACR to use an outgrowth of or advancement upon Electrothermal Chemical (ETC) propellant (introduced in TNE also, IIRC).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...cal_technology

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam

Link: Traveller5 Noble Patents Registry
Old April 26th, 2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulorigan View Post
I have always interpreted the ACR to use an outgrowth of or advancement upon Electrothermal Chemical (ETC) propellant (introduced in TNE also, IIRC).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...cal_technology

<Shrug> LBB4 doesn't specify, I am going with the round weights but plenty of room for other interpretations. Whatever makes you feel fuzzy, a happy 'my world is the way I like it' ref is likely more at ease with his reffing.
Old April 26th, 2019, 04:56 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

One difference is that caseless rounds are reliable enough to use in full automatic, and I would presume that the manufacturing process would make them cheaper than the cased ones we have today.

Since the propellant part of the round is completely consumed, you don't need an ejection slot, though removing a dud might be more complicated, which is why I assume it's one reason it's technological level ten, where this may happen once in five, ten or a hundred thousand times.

I might be misremembering, but nine millimetre bullets were conceived to have a six millimetre sabot, six millimetres the normal ACR bullet, and a Pournelle invented compromise between NATO standard and the previous one; sabots, I'm told, tend to bounce around on the ground when firing from a prone position, possibly back to the shooter, and his friends shouldn't stand too close to him.