Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Adventurers

Adventurers Tell us your Traveller character stats, skills, and details.

Old April 22nd, 2019, 06:58 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
infojunky Citizen

I generally let players have whatever they can imagine, but consider that a bunch of weapons are going to very difficult to get through customs on a lot of worlds (Read Roleplaying opportunities). Then couple that to the cost and availability of parts for maintenance and repair. Note advanced ammunition also falls into those categories as well.

Also note I tend to keep my games at a Knife and Pistol level of conflict, Where Shotguns and SMGs are the heavy weapons. Over the years some variation of Snub Pistols have been the most common weapons.
Old April 22nd, 2019, 10:30 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

One benefit is that you don't have to locally source the equipment, possibly at inflated prices, from shady brokers, in regions where procurement is at best in a legally gray area.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 01:19 AM
Knight

Fovean Citizen+Fovean Citizen+

Never really saw the concern, but we’ve always played in Outland/Firefly type campaigns where rifles, pistols and knives were to be expected. But the heavier stuff we always steered away from, even for Army and Marine characters. Kept it special when every once in a while a VRF Gauss gun or a PGMP was in play.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 04:17 AM

infojunky Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fovean View Post
Kept it special when every once in a while a VRF Gauss gun
That had to be one hell of a duffle bag to sneak out a VRF Gauss gun....
Old April 23rd, 2019, 10:04 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
I limit mustering out weapon benefits to LBB1 stuff only.
So you would not allow a Snub Pistol (IIRC it's a LBB4 weapon)?

I see it as one of the most used weapons by space crews (even comercial ones), due to its zero-G use and tranquilizers capacity...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 11:32 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

I donno.

I'm beginning to doubt it's efficacy.

In game mechanic effects, it's slightly less effective than a Survivalist round, basically a twenty two long rifle, and apparently, our laws of war outlaw high explosive smallarms ammunition.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 11:58 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Quint Citizen+Quint Citizen+

Honestly, I never really worried about it that much, kept the PGMPs and the FGMP's off limits, but didn't worry about much else.

D.
Medal for Conspicuous Gallantry - The Pursuits at Menorb
IMTU aka "Traveller 2200" = tp++ tc+ mt+ mgt+ tne-- !3i he+
Old April 23rd, 2019, 01:11 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
So you would not allow a Snub Pistol (IIRC it's a LBB4 weapon)?
Nope, if they want one they will have to buy one, and then only tranq rounds are available for civilian use. A normal revolver can be modified to fire snub tranq rounds easily enough IMTU.
I have recently adopted the Chiappa Rhino as the go to illustration for the revolver/snub pistol IMTU.

Quote:
I see it as one of the most used weapons by space crews (even comercial ones), due to its zero-G use and tranquilizers capacity...
The HE and HEAP are more likely to damage ship equipment than a revolver round, and how many merchant ship crews bother with zero g combat training for that matter.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 01:30 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
The HE and HEAP are more likely to damage ship equipment than a revolver round, and how many merchant ship crews bother with zero g combat training for that matter.
Probably the same ones that bother about having weapons, as altering gravity is as much an anti-hijack toos as weapons may be...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 05:13 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulorigan View Post
I suppose (depending on the ruleset you are using) the Gauss Rifle might have better armor penetration that an Assault Rifle or ACR.
30.06 is around 4,100 Joules. GR run about 4,500. Could modern Level III armor with ceramic inserts stop a GR? Dunno. Not sure it can stop an 30.06, honestly. More designed to thwart assault rifles.