Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Closed Thread

Old September 20th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-6

Gallery : 0
JoelMB12 Citizen
Default So I own Traveller 5 but...

I been reading the book 0 of mongoose Traveller it so much more approachable!! Should I give up on 5 and just move over to mongoose?
Old September 20th, 2016, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Mongoose is a very different game. Mongoose is easier to learn, but less robust a system. There are things to like about each.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old September 20th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

Quote:
Should I give up on 5 and just move over to mongoose?
depends on how much time you want to put into it.

and also, what you want to do with that time. do you want to play the game, or play with the game?
Old September 20th, 2016, 03:47 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

If your sandbox is the Third Imperium, sure.
Old September 20th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

MgT offers a rule system that works. The second edition rulebook is really good.
Old September 20th, 2016, 04:28 PM

Jame Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
MgT offers a rule system that works. The second edition rulebook is really good.
I've taken a look at it. It seems good though at the moment I plan to stick with 1e. Though mind that this is as much a money issue as it is anything else.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old September 20th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 5
Garnfellow Citizen+Garnfellow Citizen+

I wouldn't say give up on T5, as I think there's lots of interesting material in there for my own uses. But in its current form I couldn't pull together a quorum of players willing to use it.

But if I were going to run a game tomorrow? MgT 2e all the way. Accessible, approachable, available.
Old September 20th, 2016, 06:13 PM

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

Quote:
But in its current form I couldn't pull together a quorum of players willing to use it.
how much of it must be "used" by the players? surely the game referee does most of the "using"?
Old September 20th, 2016, 06:44 PM
Baron

Gallery : 3
Visit DickNervous's Blog
DickNervous Citizen+DickNervous Citizen+

I also own T5, MgT1e, and MgT2e (at least what has been released so far) and went through the same decision process you are about 2 years ago when I started my campaign. I had not played Traveller since the CT days so I took a look at all the versions to determine which I wanted to use.

I quickly ruled out everything except CT, MgT1e, and T5 for a variety of reasons. The biggest ones are that they are all out of print (except GURPS, but I never liked the system) and that, quite honestly, I wasn't thrilled with the whole rebellion and virus timeline.

While I love CT, I also knew it's limitations and was using it as a baseline. So I bought the MgT core book and the T5 CD to check them out. Here is my short synopsis of them.

MgT is pretty much CT+. It builds upon what was in CT and adds to it, and the large majority of what it adds is good stuff. It uses the same setting (that I love) and felt vary familiar. There is a ton of extra materials from both Mongoose and 3PPs to allow you to go in any direction you can dream of in the Third Imperium setting, or one you create. The rules are pretty simple and straightforward to learn to get started.

From a referee standpoint, if you want to stay in the 3I setting, or something similar to it, Mongoose offers everything you need. In addition to the published books there are active communities online discussing it and creating stuff for it (here, at Mongoose, reddit, Facebook, and even Yahoo Groups). However, if you want to go beyond the 3I setting, and a 3PP hasn't published something similar to what you want to do, you may be doing a lot of trailblazing and homebrewing.

T5 on the other hand is a massive, robust, and comprehensive toolbox that will allow you to build pretty much anything you want, in any setting you want. It has tools and rules to build pretty much anything. Want to build a Gun, there is a "Maker" for that. Clones? Got you covered. New Sophonts? Can do! Vehicles? Check. Worlds? Check? Tech up to TL (I forget, but really high)... it's got it.

However, it is currently missing a robust setting, supplemental materials, and 3PP support. I use the analogy that T5 is similar to Bethesda giving you access to all the tools, widgets, and assets to build your own version of Skyrim or Fallout, with a 1 page set of directions. EXTREMELY POWERFUL, if you want to spend the time to figure it out. But not very approachable to first timers.

When I first looked at T5 it took me about 2 hours to figure out enough about how to roll a character to give it a try, and I totally got it wrong. Then once I did figure it out, I found that the original Rogue chargen was broken. T5 can be overwhelming to most people.

So I went with MgT because it was easier to figure out and introduce to new Traveller players and had a ton of supporting material. Besides, I could easily convert my CT stuff to MgT to recycle it.
Baron of Ishala - VLAN 2113 Ishala C866651-9
Baron of Enaaka - DENE 0203 Enaaka B777786-6
Knight of Deneb - SPIN 1721 ARBA C200200-C
Old September 20th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 5
Garnfellow Citizen+Garnfellow Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
how much of it must be "used" by the players? surely the game referee does most of the "using"?
Not in my experience. Players want to understand the core mechanic, skills, and combat. My players picked up MgT and got the basics in 20 minutes. I don't know how long it would take them to do that with T5, because I've never seen anyone willing to put in the work.

I definitely couldn't hand out a few copies of T5 and walk them through character generation in a session. It would be a nightmare.

I could easily do that with MgT 2e. Have done that.

I like T5, but right now it's not easy for new players to pick up and play. Life is short, my time is limited, their time is limited, there are a crapton of great games with much lower RoI.
Closed Thread